a forced lesson on tuning

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Wiggles93
cars: Vy S pac manual daily
H25a vitara project
Bedford truck rated project

a forced lesson on tuning

Post by Wiggles93 »

gday all, I have found myself in a bit of a pickle, two weeks ago I got a bit over enthused about my stock vy v6 (manual) after a few and the motor came out.. she now has the following - come racing 4.2 stroker crank with larger rods and pistons to suit, rather large cam also from come, billet timing gears and a good chain, ported l67 heads, 130pound valve springs, 69mm throttlebody and a rebuilt m90 supercharger with a 10psi pulley (still deciding on a maf, probably use an ls1 unit) currently only using stock l67 injectors
now assuming it survives initial startup theres no chance at all it will run without a new tune but im a little lost as im pretty far out of my depth on the computer side of things
would it be best to run the1's enhanced mod and copy large sections from another tune, say wade's turbo tune then add more fuel at idle for the s/c (instead of wades turbo setup) for initial starting and running, get idle sorted and go from there or should i try and ballpark the tune more before i try and use it? i would cut alot of timing out initially aswell

i also have a vx l67 ecu here but i would rather keep it flash based mainly as there is no extra wiring :shh:

some pointers would be greatly appreciated, mainly to do with which tables/scalers/flags to start with and what to change first, im most worried about getting the fuel close to start with as there will be alot more air moving than stock..
im located on the central coast nsw if anyones close and feels like giving me a lesson in person as i learn much better that way (paid of course)
Shhh, it hasn't broken yet
delcowizzid

Re: a forced lesson on tuning

Post by delcowizzid »

Easiest to swap to l67 ecu and get an nvram board and use a enhanced l67 tune with engine size changed and stock maf .will start and run the maf will measure any extra air.get it dialed in to idle and cruise good and good full throttle till the maf limit and then change to a bigger maf and scale the tune to suit.flashing tunes will take ages dialing in idle compared to real-time editing
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i'd also recommend starting with a higher idle value, depending how big the cam actually is it might 1000rpm or more at idle.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

That's what I got on my idle. 1000. it actually still sounds slow with a big cam
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yep exactly, mines on 1250rpm (any lower and its not happy) and still pretty rough idle, but its also a big cam too :)
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

At least it makes taking off easy I found. Just out with the clutch and away to goes with no throttle. Shorter diff ratio also helps that.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.