Preparing for NVRAM COMMS KIT Chiptorque tune???

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Fozadore5ltr
cars: 1998 Subaru Forester 5ltr

Preparing for NVRAM COMMS KIT Chiptorque tune???

Post by Fozadore5ltr »

Hi all, my very first post here so please excuse me if I seem daft or I don't make sense, it's all fairly new to me. I have ordered my NVRAM and COMMS KIT off ANTUS and can't wait for it to arrive. My question is am I going to have trouble tuning with a Chiptorque or kalmaker MEMCAL? I have 2 memcals and neither are standard. Will I be adjusting their tune or am I putting my own base tune on the NVRAM and adjusting that? It's a VQ ECU. I'm just trying to be as prepared as possible so I can get straight into it when it arrives and not have to wait for postage of new memcals or other things needed etc. Motor is stock 304, 286 cam, hi-comp, port work, LT1 springs, standard intake, pod filter and straight through exhaust. Like a lot of people I've spent every spare hour I have on this site researching as much as I can, downloading bins and xdfs and trying to understand it all. There are bins I have found that will have closer tables than what is currently on there so will I be able to copy a whole VE table or spark table and paste it over the current one? Anyone actually have a bin file to suit a 286 cam that I can have a look over and try analyse differences? Any help will be greatly appreciated here and hopefully any further posts will not frustrate others

Thanks in advance all,
Nicky
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Re: Preparing for NVRAM COMMS KIT Chiptorque tune???

Post by jenko »

keep reading , but you will probably be better off using the tune antus put on the nvram and going from there
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

firstly to answer the question of the other tunes ..... depending what they are you might be able to find xdf's around to allow you to read them and see what spark / ve table mods have been done and can then transfer them into $12P which is what will most likely come on the nvram.

unless you have the kalmaker or chiptorque hardware/software though you wont be able to tune with it.

all that said, if the tunes arn't for your motors mods then its probably no point trying to use them anyway.

a while back i did a rough tune on a VS Auto 304 for a mate, it had a 286 type cam, upped comp, ported heads, torque power manifold 4 barrel TB and larger injectors, i would be happy to share it if you want to have a look at it, but i reckon it will probably not be real close due to the different manifold and TB.

see if anyone else chimes in with a tune thats more suitable.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yep I think holden202t's tune would be good to compare. You'll be able to see whats changed, and doing a compare against the base 12P tune should give you an idea of what tables you'll need to be looking at, and give you an idea of how much change was needed for that engine.It'll probably need less change with a ported head and standard intake and exhaust vs changes manifold and tb, but thats what the tuning is about.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Fozadore5ltr
cars: 1998 Subaru Forester 5ltr

Post by Fozadore5ltr »

Thanks guys, holden202T that would be great if you could share it with me so I can see the differences. I have downloaded a few from here that are sort of similar to what I have and can see the obvious VE and spark table changes. Will the base tune be what a stock motor runs and I have to go from there? Will I be best just starting with the VE and spark tables? I was thinking if it's close to a stock motor I could make my tables halfway between base tune and holden202Ts tune and then go from there? I'm really excited to get into it but want to limit mistakes if possible with help from others on here. What other tables are a good start to get me close. I have managed to get the motor to run on the Chiptorque tune but not idle and very poor performance down low. I have a feeling this motors going to be a bit of a freak so can't wait to get it running smoother and have a track day tuning as I go. I appreciate everyone's help here. Im learning so much everyday here. Thanks again,
Nicky
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

no sorry the tune i did was on a VS V8 Auto $83, so it wont be a direct compare to $12P .... and it was before $11P so that is no help either.

the main things you'll want to look at here are the VE table, the AFR table, spark table, and the desired idle tables.

i've attached a zip file with the xdf for it, as well as two bin files.

Griff-2009-12-30-1 - this is the file i started off with, i have no idea what all the details of it are but im guessing it was BWFU tune, and maybe some basic changes before i started tuning his car.

2010-07-14-BWFU_mod-griffs vs1 - this is the newest file i have for the tune, and i believe this is the last tune i made for it.

keep in mind, this tune was never done on a dyno, just street driving using the knock sensor and seat of pants feel, it did have a wideband connected to it.

it was an auto with a standard converter, so it was not very well matched to the cam .... it needed lots of mods to the shift points to stop it changing gears too early, so as to keep it up in the usable rev range on a gear change - it also needed the lower rpm areas of the open loop AFR table richened so it would run properly at those revs while cruising without hunting/surging.

the injectors from memory were ford 30lb ..... i am not 100% sure on that but you can see the injector rate is changed from stock.
Griff's VS V8 Auto.zip
(70.13 KiB) Downloaded 223 times