trouble with vs v6 auto .bin with VATS turned off.? maybe

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:33 am

trouble with vs v6 auto .bin with VATS turned off.? maybe

Postby turbo1600 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:40 pm

anybody know if the vats ( novats.bin) is turned off correctly ? on vs v6 auto ute. been having trouble with it starting ( no crank) sometimes it will start/ crank sometimes not. so i think i turned the vats off from the orig file , but still have same prob.
origvsperf23062019.bin
(128 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
origvsperf23062019novats.bin
(128 KiB) Downloaded 6 times


mark

Posts: 1199
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:58 am
Location: Padstow NSW

Re: trouble with vs v6 auto .bin with VATS turned off.? mayb

Postby Charlescrown » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:10 pm

I haven't downloaded your bin file yet but if it has started and run I doubt it's that. From what I know if vats are on it should crank but not start unless it see's the security code and turning them off does not affect cranking ability. Perhaps there's more to it.

User avatar
Posts: 6308
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:41 pm
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: trouble with vs v6 auto .bin with VATS turned off.? mayb

Postby vlad01 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:24 pm

The BCM handles the cranking relay. Normally the BCM waits for the PCM vats message and will crank as soon as it gets it, else it will time out by itself after 1 sec and proceed to crank anyway.

This is why when vats is disabled there is a 1 sec delay noticed when turning the key to when it actually starts turning.


Sounds to me there is an unrelated electrical problem or the BCM has a problem.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.

User avatar
Posts: 9724
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:05 pm
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: trouble with vs v6 auto .bin with VATS turned off.? mayb

Postby Holden202T » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:57 am

maybe you need to change the progrm ID to AA ?

Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:10 pm

Re: trouble with vs v6 auto .bin with VATS turned off.? mayb

Postby Jesse19 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:00 pm

May completely wrong but my last starting issue was earth related, check down near the transmission cooler lines and the one up the back passenger side on the block.
I was also showing 7v on pin 9 at the comms port.
May eliminate one potential issue

User avatar
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:21 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: trouble with vs v6 auto .bin with VATS turned off.? mayb

Postby j_ds_au » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:42 pm

vlad01 wrote:The BCM handles the cranking relay. Normally the BCM waits for the PCM vats message and will crank as soon as it gets it, else it will time out by itself after 1 sec and proceed to crank anyway.

This is why when vats is disabled there is a 1 sec delay noticed when turning the key to when it actually starts turning.


Sounds to me there is an unrelated electrical problem or the BCM has a problem.

When my VS V6 key failed (turned out to be a bad connection from the fob to the key blade), it would not crank.

Joe.

User avatar
Posts: 6308
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:41 pm
Location: Kyneton, Vic

Re: trouble with vs v6 auto .bin with VATS turned off.? mayb

Postby vlad01 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:10 pm

Both my and my bother's VR started with non fobbed keys, in fact my bothers bcm wont read keys anymore so I turned off vats to allow used of a generic cut key. It cranked but did not start when the bcm faulted.

In my car I forgot to turn on vats and the service key started the car just fine. ie the all metal key.

Unless they changed this in VS I don't see why a fob would prevent cranking.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.

User avatar
Posts: 9724
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:05 pm
Location: Tenambit, NSW

Re: trouble with vs v6 auto .bin with VATS turned off.? mayb

Postby Holden202T » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:01 pm

j_ds_au wrote:When my VS V6 key failed (turned out to be a bad connection from the fob to the key blade), it would not crank.

Joe.

Yep i bought a VS V6 that wouldn't crank, i saw the key reader ring on the foot well when i unlocked the steering to winch it onto the trailer hahaha

i am using it with a VR 424 PCM and it needs VS Vats messages sent to the bcm for it to crank.

User avatar
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:21 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: trouble with vs v6 auto .bin with VATS turned off.? mayb

Postby j_ds_au » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:36 pm

vlad01 wrote:Both my and my bother's VR started with non fobbed keys, in fact my bothers bcm wont read keys anymore so I turned off vats to allow used of a generic cut key. It cranked but did not start when the bcm faulted.

In my car I forgot to turn on vats and the service key started the car just fine. ie the all metal key.

Unless they changed this in VS I don't see why a fob would prevent cranking.

Yes, they did change how VATS worked between VR and VS. For instance, I understand that with a faulty fob, for a VR you need to keep the key in the on position for 45 minutes before the BCM will allow the car to be started, whereas for a VS, it's 2 hours. They made VATS more stringent/secure on VS. Having said that, the transition might not have occurred exactly at the VR to VS transition.

Joe.

Return to Holden ALDL ECUs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests