Fail to start after writing cal

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Jesse19
cars: Vx Commodore
Vy commodore
Hdj80 landcruiser

Fail to start after writing cal

Post by Jesse19 »

After writing a new tune in the vx (vy l67 swapped) it fails to start, it tries but misses and smokes the times it does fire.

Have read the FAQ about checksum correction and no result. (OSE flash has "autofix checksum" ticked). Not showing a checksum error while cranking either.

This has happened multiple times and twice has just randomly fired and ran sweet (although rich hence trying to tune it).

I tried the1's enhanced bin but had the same error so changed back to the stock bin, same issue, walked away and the next morning it started first hit on the key.

Really wanting to get this tuning sorted but bashing my head against the wall with the no start issue after writing each cal..

Ideas?
Jesse19
Vy commodore
Hdj80 landcruiser

Re: Fail to start after writing cal

Post by Jesse19 »

Risking looking like a fool I'm going to own up to my mistakes and add in where i went wrong and other things i found.

First of all my mistake as i was trying to adjust injector base rate was reading it as g/ms and not ms/g. So while thinking i was allowing for larger injectors by upping the value i finally twigged that i was upping the amount of time it thought it was taking to inject 1 gram of fuel.
This was leading to rediculous amounts of fuel being added to an already rich tune.

All of this was made worse by old spark plugs that i hadn't looked at until now. Besides being saturated with fuel the gap on them was up around 2.5-2.7mm instead of 1.3mm.

Cleaned and gapped the plugs, turned the engine over to clear excess fuel and boom she fired up on the stock n/a tune.

Dropped the base injector rate from ~361ms/g by 20ms each time with a roughly calculated 280ms/g target.
O2 sensors are slowly getting towards normal readings and tuning can continue!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i wouldnt feel to bad, you found the problem and fixed it yourself, thats the main thing!

i know when i first started playing with tuning i did a lot of things wrong, but that how you learn from it.

also just keep in mind, try the last working tune, or if that fails like youve said go back to a stock tune, get it running and diagnose changes that did/didn't from there!
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Holden202T wrote:i wouldnt feel to bad, you found the problem and fixed it yourself, thats the main thing!

i know when i first started playing with tuning i did a lot of things wrong, but that how you learn from it.

also just keep in mind, try the last working tune, or if that fails like youve said go back to a stock tune, get it running and diagnose changes that did/didn't from there!
WELL SAID, apart from typo in the middle... but also what everyone needs to know if you need help we need all info like bin files & logs to help otherwise it's a guessing game!
Jesse19
Vy commodore
Hdj80 landcruiser

Post by Jesse19 »

Hearing you fellas, cheers!

I had gone back to stock but still getting a no start.
Basically it was that flooded and the spark so weak i was getting a very rare single cylinder fire.

When i finally twigged to the fuelling issue i pulled the plugs and confirmed excess fuel and found the worn plugs.

At this stage I'm really close to the base injector rate but want to fatten the injector multiplyer table up top end where I'm pushing some boost before i pull the injector base down a tiny bit more.

Maybe lean on the timing a touch over standard as well as it is still on an ecotec timing table