Erratic speedo at Idle

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
j_ds_au

Re: Erratic speedo at Idle

Post by j_ds_au »

h4x0r wrote: The dakota digital GPS speed sender only has a ground for its own power supply: http://www.dakotadigital.com/pdf/GPS-50-2.pdf
Grounding B6 showed no effect when I tested it.
Grounding is fine if all grounds are at the same potential, but they never are exactly the same. If B5 and B6 are a differential input (which I don't know, without the PCM schematic), then connecting B6 directly to the GPS ground terminal could be beneficial.

Joe.
h4x0r

Post by h4x0r »

Back to the drawing board :(

Tried a shielded B5 wire and tried to ground the B6 to the VSS but im still getting the same problem. I wonder if its the dakota digtal VSS. Might see if I can figure out how to use a pull up/down resistor
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Get a 10k resistor and connect one end to the signal wire, and the other end to the power supply for the sensor or ground. Be careful with voltages, I dont know what that sensor is running at. If its 5v, its probably not a good idea to pull it up to 12v. Someone with more experience than me can probably describe the gotchas better.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

The sensor is a 2 wire reluctor
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

Another idea ... try a 10k (or a bit lower) resistor between B6 (no other connection) and B5/GPS.

Joe.
h4x0r

Post by h4x0r »

THANKS GUYS!

Got it working :punk:. Basically the schematic for the 424 says that VSS wires B5 & B6 are powered less than 0.5V so I decided to try what I think is called a "pull down resistor". I started with a 10k ohm resister on the B5 signal wire to ground but no results. Then a 5k ohm, then a 1k ohm, then a 500 ohm. All I had left laying around was a 50 ohm resistor and BINGO the speed stopped bouncing around at idle. You could hear the quality of the engine idle smooth out also!!! I took it for a test drive with multiple stops and the VSS worked perfectly! The 50 ohm resistor was a little warm to touch so not sure if I'm breaking any laws of physics here but hopefully this is the long term solution.

I'm using the Dakota Digital GPS-50-2 which converts GPS speed to square or sine wave VSS.
Attachments
pcmhacking-gps-50-2-vss-vehicle-speed-sensor.jpg
pcmhacking-gps-50-2-vss-vehicle-speed-sensor.jpg (70.12 KiB) Viewed 2977 times
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

Oh, dear. You've got a near short-circuit on your GPS output. It won't last for long.

You might try a series resistor instead, or if that's not good enough, a potential divider.

Where did you find the schematic for the '424? That would certainly help.

Joe.
h4x0r

Post by h4x0r »

j_ds_au wrote:Oh, dear. You've got a near short-circuit on your GPS output. It won't last for long.

You might try a series resistor instead, or if that's not good enough, a potential divider.

Joe.
OK so this is not a "pull down resistor"?
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

h4x0r wrote:
j_ds_au wrote:Oh, dear. You've got a near short-circuit on your GPS output. It won't last for long.

Joe.
OK so this is not a "pull down resistor"?
It is, but it's way too severe. You're going to blow the output of your GPS.

If as you've seen, a reasonable pull-down resistor value doesn't do the trick, then you need something other than (or as well as) a pull-down resistor. You might try my previous suggestion, or try a series resistor, with or without a pull-down resistor (in a potential-divider configuration).

Joe.
h4x0r

Post by h4x0r »

j_ds_au wrote: It is, but it's way too severe. You're going to blow the output of your GPS.

If as you've seen, a reasonable pull-down resistor value doesn't do the trick, then you need something other than (or as well as) a pull-down resistor. You might try my previous suggestion, or try a series resistor, with or without a pull-down resistor (in a potential-divider configuration).

Joe.
I tried running a resistor in series from 1 ohm, 10, 20, 50, 100, 500, 1000, 5000 & 10000 ohms but it did nothing.

My VSS output is a sine wave with 0.01 volts and is 0volts with the pull down resistor setup. I have changed to your suggestion which also works. Why do you think adding this second resistor will protect my VSS long term versus without it?
Attachments
pcmhacking-gps-50-2-vss-potential-divider.jpg
pcmhacking-gps-50-2-vss-potential-divider.jpg (75.47 KiB) Viewed 2894 times