95 Hilux ecotec swapped - 808ecu

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Saintsinnerx
cars: Holden Vr 1993/1994 x2

95 Hilux ecotec swapped - 808ecu

Post by Saintsinnerx »

Howdy all, hope this is in the right section..

i recently acquired a 95 hilux 4x4 thats had the ecotec conversion but it's running a MAP sensor and have been told that it would be running the VN ecu
this leads me to a few dramas.. while the conversion runs and preforms okay it's not fantastic so i'd like to finish the job instead of a half slapped together rig..

Dramas im having are.. 25L per 100 fuel consumption..
Box absolutely hates shifting with incorrect shift points for the conversion im guessing?
Seems to be running super rich

after some hunting around on various forums ive come across the conclusion that it's VN ECU > Ecotech motor > 4l60 gearbox
which is apparently the cheapest and fastest way to get the engine running into the hilux but they never get the ecu tuned to run the ecotec so it's running with super low timing off the bat
Anyone happen to know what would be my best option pushing forward would be..

Option 1: find a tuner local to Brisbane ( suggestions would be awesome as at this stage i have no idea who or where to even start with trying to find someone )

Option 2: Throw in all the VS gear and buy an adapter for the 4l60E box to adapt it to the transfer case ( most expensive option.. )

option 3: Grab l67 + auto box and do the above ( even more expensive )

Option4: Buy everything needed to convert the ecu to be able to be tuned and start learning ( probably just as expensive.. but a much funner time ) ( from what ive read so far.. some soldering would be involved? )

Option 5: burn the whole lot to the floor

Would love some idea's / input from anyone who has a free moment would be greatly appreciated

95 hilux 4x4 - Ecotech swap with 4l60? - 808 VN ecu is what ive gathered so far, the swap looks to be done very well no janky wiring hanging out or just thrown into the engine bay looks like some time and money has been spent
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Re: 95 Hilux ecotec swapped - 808ecu

Post by Charlescrown »

I would like to see what program your running. I don't know whats controlling your transmission if your running an 808. You need a VR auto ecu and run 11P. It's a great program.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

First off ecotec have low timing requirements and stock 808 actually have too much timing for those engines so they are on the limits knock wise. And yes they run super rich with a stock 808 on them which is actually ends up saving them from knocking too bad ironically. Ecotec typically like around 18-20 deg timing while VN-VR motors like around 27-29 deg

There actually is an ecotec 808 tune on here on the custom tune section.

Get a memcal or NVRAM with this loaded on it and it should be a much better starting point.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=375
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Saintsinnerx
cars: Holden Vr 1993/1994 x2

Post by Saintsinnerx »

Charlescrown wrote:I would like to see what program your running. I don't know whats controlling your transmission if your running an 808. You need a VR auto ecu and run 11P. It's a great program.

If there is a way to find out in happy to pull some things apart tomorrow, it's running a kickdowm cable and a map sensor so was told either t700 or 4l60 ( non electronic ) but from my understanding t700 is Buick so wouldn't bolt up to ecotec ? And 4l60 is the non electronic version apparently no electronic plug to the box

And cheers vlad01 I'll have a look on the forms and look at some pricing during the week and I'd be quite happy to learn the tuning side of things when it comes to the ecotec and I'd say it could be an expensive learning curve but at 100$ an engine it's quite cheap compares to other models and modes of tuning haha
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I heard people calling the 4l60 the t700, not sure if the names are interchangeable but buick non electric auto is the same pattern as ecotec. The engines changed a fair bit but the basic layout and pattern stayed the same. Both cable and electronic auto are good if they are built up or low ks, pretty shit stock though once they get the ks up. I have killed something like 7 of them. They get to 200k and die pretty much lol.

Yeah be careful with tuning ecotec, their pistons are really brittle and don't like knock, seen a few people break them like this, one guy I know 4 engines in a row due to a bad fuel pump leaning the engine out. High silicon alloy pistons are great for low expansion/tight tolerances but shit for withstanding detonation due to being brittle.

That base tune should be just about right and good enough to call done anyway I would think, maybe trim up the VE table to suit if it needs it.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Ah so the 4L60 came without electronics and it's the 4L60E that I was thinking about.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

4l60/t700 same thing 4l60e electronic. Get a pic of the ecu so we can confirm it's an 808.you will also need to check that it's had the ecotec knock sensor removed and a buick one fitted or it will be pulling timing. The coolant sensor is also different and it's easiest to fit a vn one in an adaptor to get the right ohms. Also the inlet air temp sensor is best to be in a runner close to the head like a stock vn all this saves a lot of tuning hassle
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

While your at it see if you can stick your phone under the car and get a few pics of the box. We might be able to identify it from that.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

See if it has a tv cable on the t/b
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

if its running the T700 (hydraulic) box and the 808 ecu then there is a tune in the custom tunes section that should be pretty close.

Even if its running the 424 the spark and ve tables will probably be a better start than what you have now.

also have a read of this thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=144