95 Hilux ecotec swapped - 808ecu

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Saintsinnerx
cars: Holden Vr 1993/1994 x2

Re: 95 Hilux ecotec swapped - 808ecu

Post by Saintsinnerx »

Holden202T wrote:ok so its not vats cause that tune doesnt have it and if it was it would be no fuel.

like i said in the PM try the memcal it was running on, if its not working on that you have other issues.

if the plugs are wet but its not firing then you have the ecu pulsing the injectors.

i'd be checking crank trigger, dfi module etc, as a v6 only needs power to the dfi and the crank trigger for it to spark (even if the ecu isn't plugged in)

im having other issues now i explained a bit in the inbox im going to have to take the week off work and rip the whole conversion apart and start again i have no idea what others have done.. but all ive done is disconnect the ecu and tried to crank the car on a very fresh and fully charged battery it cranks 1-2 times then starts clicking like your battery is almost dead..
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

You may have washed the oil from the rings with all the fuel. Try putting a squirt of oil in each plug hole to restore compression. Also the cranking problem. Whats the battery voltage during cranking till you get the no crank business.
Saintsinnerx

Post by Saintsinnerx »

Charlescrown wrote:You may have washed the oil from the rings with all the fuel. Try putting a squirt of oil in each plug hole to restore compression. Also the cranking problem. Whats the battery voltage during cranking till you get the no crank business.
Battery voltage is 12.71 brand new 720 cca battery 1h old, when cranking it drops to 8.9V
when i connect up another battery i have + the new battery ( that starts a commodore perfectly fine ) it drops to 9.1V.. Makes no sense that the battery has died this fast tho.. even brand new put it in the 4x4 same issue when cranking it would crank 1 or 2 times then it would just lock up acting like the car battery had died.. but with a half dead battery yesterday it was turning over perfectly fine..

Things ive checked so far..
Relay that triggers the starter - replaced it with a known working one, same drama
Removed the relay and trigger the 12V wire that goes to the starter and it cranks over if i throw 12v directly to it..

Car was running friday, removed ecu did the nvram upgrade and coms board put it back together would dump fuel but no spark ( didn't test for spark that night ) But cranked over perfectly fine..
i thought the battery had died so i put it on charge, saturday it also cranked over pretty normal till the battery again went flat, so replaced it with one out of the commodore and then it started this 1-2 crank then click
i thought perhaps the starter had just died, ive pulled it out and bench tested it kick the gear out and turns fine.. im seriously at a loss.. i didn't do this conversion and it's been done weirdly.. but at the same time i just don't have spare cash to throw at it and start all over again with new wiring etc so gotta make what ive got here work -_-
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

Given it’s not firing it may be close to hydraulicing.
Pull all plugs, 100% throttle (should disable injectors) and try cranking to clear it, be careful as if it is full of fuel will pump out the plug holes so make sure no sparks around.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Those readings are too low. You should have around 10.5 if alls OK. Reasons can be poor electrical connections with the main battery cables. Easy way to find it is touch them ( be very cautious because a drop of 1 volt will burn big time) and feel for heat. If their all OK then it may be a bad starter (which is usually indicated with slow cranking) if that's OK then it may be a tight engine. As I said oil washed from the rings will cause high starter current draw a slow cranking.
Saintsinnerx

Post by Saintsinnerx »

yoda69 wrote:Given it’s not firing it may be close to hydraulicing.
Pull all plugs, 100% throttle (should disable injectors) and try cranking to clear it, be careful as if it is full of fuel will pump out the plug holes so make sure no sparks around.
Ive had the ecu disconected most of the attempts to crank it, so im going to have to go from A-B over every freeking wiring thing this numpty before me has done.. it's just weird it was 100% running before i pulled the ecu.. but ive had to switch batteries twice now so im guessing something is shorting as cables are hot.
Charlescrown wrote:Those readings are too low. You should have around 10.5 if alls OK. Reasons can be poor electrical connections with the main battery cables. Easy way to find it is touch them ( be very cautious because a drop of 1 volt will burn big time) and feel for heat. If their all OK then it may be a bad starter (which is usually indicated with slow cranking) if that's OK then it may be a tight engine. As I said oil washed from the rings will cause high starter current draw a slow cranking.
So Ground is hot as fuck after cranking, power on 2 out of the 3 get hot also, so im guessing something might be shorting / wiring might be crusted im going to pull it down tomorrow ( taken yet another day off work.. ) and try and sort this shit out im not the greatest when it comes to wiring but i have no choice now haha i grabbed new plugs this arvo and ill pull all plugs, squirt some oil as you mentioned and give it a test car was running and cranking fine before i pulled the ecu.. so im curious if a wire has been pinched somewhere and it's now not getting 12V to the relay and it might only be pumping 8v or something to the starter causing slow triggering
ill be throwing the batterys on charge tonight, when i first did the cranking and it was still slow battery was at 12.8v new and dropped to around 11.2 when cranking but the above test was recent attempts
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I would check for spark if you haven't already. Just disconnect both leads on just one coil, crank and see if you see sparks jumping across the posts on the coil. Its very obvious if it's working. I have had DFI modules die in a way that there was no spark but still got injector pulse.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Saintsinnerx

Post by Saintsinnerx »

vlad01 wrote:I would check for spark if you haven't already. Just disconnect both leads on just one coil, crank and see if you see sparks jumping across the posts on the coil. Its very obvious if it's working. I have had DFI modules die in a way that there was no spark but still got injector pulse.
yeah ive tested spark i have spark and fuel so im guessing i did last night also, but still wouldn't fire..
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Probably drowned it. I had the same issue on my new engine when I started making it's first tune. The initial fueling was so far off that it flooded it on the first go so it wouldn't even fire. I had to alter the tune a lot and then clean the plugs and let the engine air out a bit. Fired 1st go once I got it dialed into the ball park.

It might be possible there was something wrong with the tune on the nvram that it flooded it.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I see you have the older 21lb injectors. I wonder if the tune on the nvram was done for the newer 777 injectors, they are only 15lb iirc and run at 3.5 bar. I'm wondering if the cracking fuel pulses are too fat for these injectors and might be why it looks to have flooded?