95 Hilux ecotec swapped - 808ecu

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: 95 Hilux ecotec swapped - 808ecu

Post by antus »

Yep, definitely get your injectors set up right first. NVRAM has Sams ecotec base tune $12P-V1.12-Ecotec-808 from viewtopic.php?f=7&t=375
The cranking fuel tables are "Map A: Crank - First Stage Crank Base Pulse Width vs Coolant Temp" and "Map A: Crank - Second Stage Crank Base Pulse Width vs Coolant Temp". Its in milliseconds so you want to multiply the whole table by the difference in size of the injectors. EG If your injectors are 20% larger multiply both tables by 0.8 to make them 20% less for the same delivered fuel.

Also check your base injector rate. "Map A: Run A/F Param - Displacement/inj flow rate (Litres/Grams per sec)". There is a calculator Holden202T made to calculate this number, or load one of the 12P bins that suit your injectors and copy the value (and the cranking tables, if you have such a 12P tune).

Im not familiar with the exact injectors (grey tops doesnt mean anything to me) so I cant give you the actual values. Fuel pressure being out of spec adjusts flow rate too, so if your pressure is 10% higher than Holden202Ts was, then you either need to change that or update the above tables to take that in to account. It sounds like your injectors are flowing a lot more than Holden202Ts were, so the above should make quite a difference.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Those grey injectors are similar to the VN-VR ones just a fraction higher flow but they have basically the same characteristics as them and also run at the same 3 bar. The later thin green injectors flow a lot less but run at 3.5 bar to give similar flow but the pulse characteristics will be quite different. This could be the sourse of the issues. 202 will need to let us know what his base tune was done on, fat grey injectors or thin green ones?

EDIT. yeah those green injectors are just a bit over 14lb at 3 bar. So even at 3.5 bar its still a fair bit lower than those grey ones. So it would make sense if the tune it to suit the green ones then running it on these would open them way too much and flood it.

On my car I have 39lb ones and the minimum cranking pulse was stock still and didn't allow me to dial back the fuel so when starting it just flooded it. That's a trap to look out for "min cranking pulse" default was around 6ms. So even if you put for eg 2ms in the cranking table it will just ignore it and put in 6ms. Took me ages to figure that out and lots of flooding in the process. :lol:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

The original post says "Injectors: Stock Ecotec V6 (grey tops)."
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

ok so that rules that out. Maybe it's stuffed and going into limp? Does it have the stock memcal for the netres piggybacked on the nvram? There has to be a reason to why it would flood.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Is the jumper set to 6 cyl?
I wonder if there is anything odd injectors, drilled to fix up fuelling on the wrong memcal or similar.

I just looked up AWUY from earlier in the thread, and its for a 91 VP. So that would be compatible with the 12P BLCD tune. I compared the cranking tables and injector rates and they're the same as Holden202Ts tune (except for first stage at 104 and 116) so it wouldnt be so rich because of the tune.

Can you post up a log of a crank attempt?
Saintsinnerx
cars: Holden Vr 1993/1994 x2

Post by Saintsinnerx »

Sorry gents was out at a family dinner tonight.
antus wrote:Is the jumper set to 6 cyl?
I wonder if there is anything odd injectors, drilled to fix up fuelling on the wrong memcal or similar.

I just looked up AWUY from earlier in the thread, and its for a 91 VP. So that would be compatible with the 12P BLCD tune. I compared the cranking tables and injector rates and they're the same as Holden202Ts tune (except for first stage at 104 and 116) so it wouldnt be so rich because of the tune.

Can you post up a log of a crank attempt?
Yep it's set to 6 cyl, tomorrow ill set it all back up with the fresh battery off charge and ill try and log the crank attempt after i blow the excess fuel out of the engine to see if that is whats caused the cranking to be so difficult

Ill take all the idea's and test them out tomorrow morning next door has put their kid to sleep and his room is right where my ute us so cranking it would cause an argument haha so tomorrow ill update the thread as best as i can
at this stage the conversion has been done so silly that im actually hating it, so the plan going forward is to just get it back to run on the 808 with the original memcal.. Deal with the 33L per 100 till i can track down another Vn loom and start from scratch.. that way i know wires are 1 single wire and not 3 wires joined together and splices to no where.. whole thing is unwrapped and just wires everywhere.. so ill tidy it all up when i can but for now just need it running.. boss has gone ape shit and threatened to fire me if im not back at work by thursday.. lol
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

another thought i just had, does it have a VN/VP coolant sensor or is it still the ecotec one ?

if you can get data logging working and get a log while cranking that might shed some light on any dodgy sensors etc.

also if that battery lead is getting hot that would be a first thing to fix, it will always struggle to start if your leads arnt right and thats the last thing you need when your trying to sort out other issues.
Saintsinnerx

Post by Saintsinnerx »

Holden202T wrote:another thought i just had, does it have a VN/VP coolant sensor or is it still the ecotec one ?

if you can get data logging working and get a log while cranking that might shed some light on any dodgy sensors etc.

also if that battery lead is getting hot that would be a first thing to fix, it will always struggle to start if your leads arnt right and thats the last thing you need when your trying to sort out other issues.
ive been out this morning, pulled all the plugs, every cyl was flooded with fuel, cranked it over without plugs cranks perfect, gave it all a little bit of oil and she fired up without an ecu for about 10 sec or so and then died, plugged in the ecu with the old memcal and cranks perfect ( brand new plugs too ) but wont fire.. just cranks over and over but super strong so im making progress..

as for the sensors honestly i have no clue what sensors they are.. im guessing they are all VS sensors to be honest.. i have the air temp sensor for the buick but the coolant sensor is probably VS
ill hook it all back up, hold full throttle ( disable injectors ) and try to log the crank

So just a quick update, did the crank recorded it, zero data was saved Flash tool, shows connected tunerpro shows connected but kept throwing errors DA connected, then disconnected then connected then disconnected TPS sat at 29.8% and didn't move.... ill attach the log anyway might be useless tho..
Obviously im doing something wrong when it comes to connecting to the coms board / nvram cause it's just throwing nothing but errors..

ADx used:
Saintsinnerx

Post by Saintsinnerx »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xnl6di26zx2ns ... s.xdl?dl=0

this is the dropbox link to the cranking log, cranked with fuel for first few times then full throttle for the last half to disable injectors and stop flooding again.. - TPS sat at 29% the whole time so i believe the log is screwed and i need to source another adx file that doesn't keep throwing errors..
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

On the data last view, I can see Engine Coolant = 151.3 degrees C, Mainfold Air Temp = 148 Deg C. But Im not sure thats the write ADX at all, so Im not trusting that data.

Was this with the nvram or the VP memcal? I know your probably over it now and dont want to swap back again, but to be useful it'll need to be the NVRAM, with the OSE12P adx for the OSE12P zip file at the top of viewtopic.php?f=27&t=356 "OSE_$12PV112_1BAR - Petrol with calcVE.adx" (doesnt have to be calcVE, but thats the one I use).

The VP memcal wont support the high speed data and you wont be able to log it. You would need a VR memcal to have that, then you could use a $12 (not 12P) adx. But thats probably a step in the wrong direction since you have the NVRAM.