Kalmaker to Tunerpro. for Newby

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
malrv1
cars: R Series Valiant with EFI

Kalmaker to Tunerpro. for Newby

Post by malrv1 »

Hello all this is my first post and I am very new to this so please be gentle with me. :)

I have a 1962 R Series Valiant running a 225 Slant Six. Quite a few years ago I converted it to efi using V6 Commodore parts including the Delco 808. At the time I had Alan Gibbs from Kalmaker rewrote a memcal for me to run this engine. I then had a friend in Adelaide do a dyno tune and burn a chip for me. I have running this setup ever since.

I do not have any Kalmaker hardware apart from the modified memcal which has a removable chip. I have a few different tunes on different chips.
20191115_182801.jpg
The time has come to move on from Kalmaker as I have fitted a new engine with different can, head, manifold etc and it needs another tune.

I am very confused now as to what I need to be able to program the ecu myself. I have looked a Tunerpro and it looks good.

The problem is I am really confused as what hardware I need to run it? Ostrich 2 ? G6 adapter. etc?

Will I be able to use the tune I have now as base?

Help :?
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Kalmaker to Tunerpro. for Newby

Post by Dylan »

Its all possile mate, keep reading through the forums. Specifically on our custom code named 12P. That's what you will want to run.
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

Any idea what that 20 pin chip does? The factory memcal doesn't have an extra chip. Is it to lock the code somehow? If so, you may need to replace the memcal to use 12P ... not sure.

Joe.
malrv1

Post by malrv1 »

Thanks for your replies. I have been reading and reading I have downloaded Tunerpro RT and had a play with that.

However I am really out of my depth here. Is there anyone near Gippsland who would be willing to have a go at this or someone I can come and see??

The 20 pin chip is the knock sensor driver. I think.
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

malrv1 wrote: The 20 pin chip is the knock sensor driver. I think.
The sticker on it suggests a programmed part, and to its left, part of a Lattice logo is visible, so I don't think its that.

Joe.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

that is the security portion of kalmaker, if you remove the eprom from that board it wont start the car as it will fail security check.

as i see it you have two options:

1. start from scratch and dont worry about the kalmaker tune (probably the best option anyways if you going with cam and head mods etc) - get the hardware from this forums for sale section and your right to go for realtime tuning using $12p

2. get the hardware from here as above, and then use it along with the flash tool to download the kalmaker tune from the chip and then use that to transport it over to the $12P tune.

i you do want the info of that chip and are happy to post it theres plenty of people that can get it for you.

you will want a usb interface to connect into the 808 to tune, and you'll also want an nvram package (to allow realtime changes) all of which can be found in the for sale section.
malrv1

Post by malrv1 »

I am happy to purchase the hardware but I still don't really know what I should get? The car runs fairly well with the tune I have so I thought it would be a good stating point.
Please tell me what to buy and I will try and do it with a little help from my friends.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

With that hardware you should be able to read what you have currently. Then we can work on getting a good base line in 12P to move forward with.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

The custom chip injects data when the chip select line is low (and the memcal would normally be inactive) in to a normally unused memory space to provide something the operating system can look for. As that memory space is normally unused and 12P does not check for it, it will cause no problems if the chip is present or not when running 12P should you somehow put it on that hardware (not recommended) or reading the stock tune over ALDL once a USB interface is installed (recommended) and it can be ignored.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396