Newbie needing help

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
someguy360

Newbie needing help

Post by someguy360 »

Hi All,

I'm starting to delve into the world of Delco tuning.

I've recently switched my cam from a Crane 268 to 276 and have found the VR V8 276 bins in the custom bins area of these forums which I've wanted to use. (download/file.php?id=1658) to be specific)

I've got a 94' VR Auto 5.0.

I'm using a Moates G1 adapter and an SST 27SF512

I'm using a GQ-4x4 programmer to write to the chip leaving stacking etc as the default 64kb.

The chip is writing fine and verifying ok but upon testing it in the car it appears to be overriding into Limp Home every time.

I haven't started the engine with it yet but as a test to make sure the chip is working I've set the fuel pump timing parameter to 5 seconds instead of the default 2.6 seconds and I've tuned VATS off. When I turn the key the fuel pump still primes for 2.6 seconds.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong, thank you for your patience with a newbie.

Cheers
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Newbie needing help

Post by antus »

I downloaded the file and had a look. I cant see which thread you picked it up from, and it has no identifiers in it that really provide a clue. You havnt said what XDF your using to edit it. From what you have posted and reading between the lines a bit, i'd say probably your XDF hasnt updated the checksum. Its better to use pcmhacking code and xdfs, but in your case setting the checksum to AA should disable it and get you past that hurdle. You might be better off taking the changes from that file and migrating them to a better supported bin.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

If it's using the limp mode netres wouldn't the pump not prime at all (pump would be powered by the oil pressure switch) ???
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
someguy360

Post by someguy360 »

antus wrote:I downloaded the file and had a look. I cant see which thread you picked it up from, and it has no identifiers in it that really provide a clue. You havnt said what XDF your using to edit it. From what you have posted and reading between the lines a bit, i'd say probably your XDF hasnt updated the checksum. Its better to use pcmhacking code and xdfs, but in your case setting the checksum to AA should disable it and get you past that hurdle. You might be better off taking the changes from that file and migrating them to a better supported bin.
Hi Antus

The bin is from here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=140

Bottom of the first page.

I'm using the $11B_V106.xdf file which was sourced from this forum.

Cheers
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

The 276 auto bin shows as BPYS.bin Using the Memcal ID tool that shows to be
BPYS1476 $58 X 5.0L Automatic 16176424 95 coded trans upto L862471
This is a VS bin and you will need the matching $58 XDF which I can't find.

edit: I've just had a quick look. Under General go to Engine Program ID - $11=VR - $AA=bypass checksum and change it to AA, then save the bin and try burning it without any other mods and see what it does. This should fix the checksum error that @ Antus described earlier which should allow the car to run. As he mentioned earlier, as the bin is unknown in the long run it might be better to start with a bin/xdf which is supported on the forum, then copy the relevant tables over and use that as your base tune to work with.
someguy360

Post by someguy360 »

Thanks mate,

I've actually done that this afternoon after reading Antus's post.

I've grabbed the stock VR V8 bin and copied the relevent VE and spark tables over, I've also set checksum to AA.

I'll see how it goes tonight.

Cheers all
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Id suggest starting with 11P as it is fully supported and has the most features we would use :)

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3798
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yep get $11p, copy over the tables you need and go from there i reckon.
someguy360

Post by someguy360 »

Thanks for the help guys, it was the checksum.

All working ok now, I'll rebuild the tune in the recommended files though as I agree this one is a bit all over the shop.