How to Read eprom on memcal (must it be removed)

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
AgentGibbs
cars: none

How to Read eprom on memcal (must it be removed)

Post by AgentGibbs »

Short version: Must the eprom be removed from the memcal board in order to read or write to it.

Hello.
I'm trying to help a mate out who struggles with the computer but knows cars.
I'm the opposite.
As can be seen by another of my posts I've made things worse.. however we are tackling the problem on two fronts.

He has a known working memcal with a tune that he likes.
He has an autoprom emulator that he would like to use to live tune based on this memcal.
He has a flash device ( I believe moats) that he should be able to read tunes from.

As I'm providing support remotely I'm not exactly sure of what is going wrong but he is able to read a standard tuned eeprom of some sort using his burning device and load this into the autoporm emulator and get that working.

He doesn't seem to be able to read his tuned eeprom and do the same. (it's not working as the live data doesn't connect, which we believe happens when in limp mode".

The picture of the chip he sent me has the label BLCB5067. Should he be able to read this with his flash and burn software: http://support.moates.net/wp-content/up ... 09/fnb.png

In the picutre he sent me I believe I'm looking at a "Knock board" that I'm unsure of how that is connected. He is attempting to read the program using jumber wires to the memcal. Is this how it is done, or must the eprom be removed from the memcal/knock board to enable correct reading. He insists that this can't be the case as it does not apper athis non stock tuned eprom has been removed.

Anyhow. Hope someone can advise me.
Thanks.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: How to Read eprom on memcal (must it be removed)

Post by antus »

No it does not need to be removed. If you want to home brew it you can get a strip of vero board,cut down the middle of the tracks and install two rows of pins that line up a standard DIP socket and 2 in the middle that fit in the the memcal. Make it the same length as just the eprom chip, and use that adapter to fit it in to a programmer without removing it from the memcal. If you want to buy one pre-made see here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3650
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Blcb will be 27c512 eprom he needs to select the correct chip to read it or just grab the Blcb tune from off here in the aussie aldl ecu section in the stock tunes thread
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
AgentGibbs

Post by AgentGibbs »

Thanks both for the confirmation.
We loaded some test data onto an eeprom directly with a burner.
We then put this eeprom into his socketed memcal adapter thingy to simulate what we were trying todo with an original memcal.
We then used the ribbon cable that my mate made to connect the burner socket to the memcal adapter.
When I tried to read the data from this eeprom, I found it is reading bit 3 of every byte as a zero.
So we have a wiring/connection issue.

I expect we will have a tuned bin emulated on the autoprom soon.
Thanks agian.
AgentGibbs

Post by AgentGibbs »

delcowizzid wrote:Blcb will be 27c512 eprom he needs to select the correct chip to read it or just grab the Blcb tune from off here in the aussie aldl ecu section in the stock tunes thread
He's running some ethanol something or other. He can emulate a standard tune and monitor data however data stopps after running for a second or two. The theory is its going into limp mode and disabling data but thats something to worry about after we get a known good running memcal bin file which I think we will be able todo.