DBW to DBC programming?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
andypandy42
cars: Porsche 928 (LS Swap)
Nissan Xtrail
Ford Ranger

DBW to DBC programming?

Post by andypandy42 »

Hey everyone,

So I'm in the process of doing an LS swap, however I'm changing my accelerator from DBW to DBC. My PCM has the B67U1 chip which is listed on the LT1Swap for compatible PCM's to run the stepper motor. Other than the obvious loom modifications, adding the IAC and TPS, I'm just wondering what's required in regards to programming the PCM to get this to work? Obviously a VATS delete is necessary, however I'm wondering what's required to make the DBC operate with my current DBW programmed PCM?

The engine, loom and pcm is a 5.7l Gen 3 LS1 out of a 2005 VZ Monaro. I'm using the stock Porsche 928 automatic transmission and linking the kickdown cable to the throttle body in conjunction with the DBC pedal.

Is this something I could do with TunerPro and LsDroid or something similar? Or would I need to get a tuner to do this for me with HP Tuners or..?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Much appreciated,

Andy.
Gampy

Re: DBW to DBC programming?

Post by Gampy »

Simplest answer ... Yes, easy peasy with a bit of knowledge and assistance.
andypandy42 wrote:So I'm in the process of doing an LS swap, however I'm changing my accelerator from DBW to DBC. My PCM has the B67U1 chip which is listed on the LT1Swap for compatible PCM's to run the stepper motor. Other than the obvious loom modifications, adding the IAC and TPS, I'm just wondering what's required in regards to programming the PCM to get this to work? Obviously a VATS delete is necessary, however I'm wondering what's required to make the DBC operate with my current DBW programmed PCM?
No, it cannot be done with current programming.
Yes, it can be re-programmed easily.

And just so you know, you didn't need to open it to find out if it has the IAC stepper motor driver (B67U1), that can be determined by the Hardware number.
andypandy42 wrote:The engine, loom and pcm is a 5.7l Gen 3 LS1 out of a 2005 VZ Monaro. I'm using the stock Porsche 928 automatic transmission and linking the kickdown cable to the throttle body in conjunction with the DBC pedal.
I'm in the US, I have no idea what a VZ Monaro is, however in 2005 the P59 was used, it likely has an OS (Operating System) onboard already that would support DBC with some minor changes, however not all OS'es are supported by TunerPro (lack of .XDF files (they define what/where in the binary file)) it would be helpful to have the numbers on the PCM or better yet a copy (.bin file) of the OS currently on it.
With the .bin file it can be determined what OS is onboard and whether it's a supported OS or not.

However, using PcmHammer it is simple enough to just swap the OS to a supported OS.
andypandy42 wrote:Is this something I could do with TunerPro and LsDroid or something similar?
Yes, with TunerPro and PcmHammer (or LsDroid).
andypandy42 wrote:Or would I need to get a tuner to do this for me with HP Tuners or..?
No no no, No commercial expenceware required!
Plenty of wonderful wise helpful volunteers around here to steer you in the right direction to get you doing your thing without draining the bank ...

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

according to this it may be as simple as just setting a flag.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/forum ... ost5326129
kent91011 wrote: Ok got it to work 01 Silverado pedals and cable wire as suggested on certain website used 12576106 pcm using Hptuners under systems tab systems options change the 1 in the etc column under the gmt800 to 0 and write entire Walla it works if u have it wired right
Im not sure about swapping the OS, it might be required but if you have it wired up I'd start by trying to set the Holden platform options on the stock OS and see what happens. If it works it'd be great to know that. If it doesnt it'll be time to do an OS swap like widely documented.

Ive attached a copy of the 2006 Monaro manual tune assuming this auto trans is mechanical with wire kickdown and not under PCM control, with Electronic Throttle toggled to No for Holden, and also VATS disabled. It'd be worth a test. It should be the same OS as you have now, so you should just need a calibration flash to test it.
Attachments
2006 Holden Monaro CV8-Z Coupe Manual LS1 5.7 Litre (12592433) no vats DBC test.bin
(1 MiB) Downloaded 198 times
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
andypandy42
Nissan Xtrail
Ford Ranger

Post by andypandy42 »

You guys are amazing! Thank's for the input.

I just now need to nut out what's required to do the flash myself, however I'm assuming I'll be able to find all of that easily on this site!! Unless there is someone in Melbourne with what's required?

I'll try toggling it within the current OS first and post results, however it it fails, I appreciate the file required.

I'm a few weeks away from startup, I still have a bit of fabrication to do, however when i'm ready for it atleast I know the best route to take.

Appreciate your time!

Andy.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

FMI
See: PcmHammer Wiki
See: Bench Programming Harness (loom) ... Only required if you want to do bench flashing!

Use the file Antus posted and do a "Write Calibration" with PcmHammer.

It would be my recommendation to do these steps once everything is hooked up. (or at least have power and connection to the PCM)
With PcmHammer do,
1. Test Write (to ensure things are good to go)
2. Read Entire PCM (Save an original copy of the OS to .bin (tune)).
If the above goes well, no or few errors/retries.
3. Write Calibration (using the file Antus posted)

Antus is Australian so he obviously knows more about the Monaro (USA GTO??) then I (all of this for that matter), however as far as I know there is no .XDF for that OS (OsID:12592433), thus it is not supported by TunerPro so making changes (tuning) yourself will be a challenge.

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Thats right, its the 2005 Pontiac GTO coupe. For tuning nothing is really different from the sedan models of the same years which is the Commodore. Ideally we need an XDF for this OS because this is the common Aussie OS for the P59. But that is another story. Just knowing the DBC is that flag is a big win at this stage, and we can worry about what to do next later.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

antus wrote:Thats right, its the 2005 Pontiac GTO coupe.
Thank you for the confirmation.
antus wrote:Just knowing the DBC is that flag is a big win at this stage
amen

andypandy42
Nissan Xtrail
Ford Ranger

Post by andypandy42 »

Thanks so much for all of the support! Looks like I have some research to do!

Antus, where abouts in Australia are you located? Is this something you would be interested in doing for me? I think I'd rather someone with a little experience do this, however willing to give it a shot if necessary.

Much appreciated,

Andy.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Im in Adelaide, but this is just a hobby and time is scarce. Plus there are lot of other experienced people on the forums, so your better off asking here and anyone with an answer can jump in, and then the next person doing the same thing can also learn by reading how you went.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

andypandy42, You can do it ...

I know it seems daunting, however it really is pretty safe and easy.

In fact, I'll bet you will look back and wonder about your hesitation.