Running E85 on a stock ecotec

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
J.tyler4
cars: '02 vx spac manual
'06 bf wagon manual converted

Running E85 on a stock ecotec

Post by J.tyler4 »

Hey guys just wondering what parameters within tuner pro I should be looking at adjusting to run my Ecotec on E85 other than the obvious target afr and the fuel tables. On my falcon what we changed target afr and turned off knock sensors and it seemed to run fine. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Running E85 on a stock ecotec

Post by vlad01 »

Should just be the AFR tables, divide the whole table by 1.505, reduce the timing by about 5-6%.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
The1

Post by The1 »

it wont know anything about E85, different stoic ratio, so drop the base injector rate by 30% and tweak from there. I can't see any benefit on N/A other than using more fuel. Likely stock injectors wont flow enough.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Stock injector just make it on a stock NA engine, they just kiss 100% DC.

There is not much difference in power output, slightly less, maybe slightly more torque at the bottom end. E85 requires about 5% less timing for max power compared to petrol for the same engine. Given that stock engine with stock cast exhaust manifolds are already optimally tuned in the spark table there is no benefit either way.

Once you get extractors like pacemakers with long tubes you can increase timing a fair bit as the timing requirements are a lot higher on extractors. But still petrol is going to give you the best peak power with slightly lower torque at the bottom end compared to E85. Only real benefit of E85 is when the engine is severely knock limited, eg. high comp (12:1 +) or running higher levels of boost, E85 will let you actually get the required timing to make the most power where petrol will be knock limited to protect the engine at the cost of power.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
J.tyler4

Post by J.tyler4 »

So really I should wait it out and buy extractors. What about cheap injector upgrades? I've read some people using xr6t/xr6 injectors and I have a set of f6 injectors lying around I could possibly use. What would I be looking at Changing in the parameters in that regards?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yes, get extractors and run on petrol, you'll get the best results with that. I wouldn't worry about e85 until you are running a turbo with considerable boost.
J.tyler4

Post by J.tyler4 »

However because I'm a dumbass and I want to run it on E85 for the cooling benefits etc, which exact tables and what adx and xdfs should I be using? Currently looking at The1's enhanced adx and xdf for a vx V6 and have my factory bin loaded in as the enhanced bin suits an auto V6?
J.tyler4

Post by J.tyler4 »

if anything I'm after the extra torque down low as the car is going to be a track car down the line. Obviously I could just go get diff gears etc which would probably cost less long term
J.tyler4

Post by J.tyler4 »

The1 wrote:it wont know anything about E85, different stoic ratio, so drop the base injector rate by 30% and tweak from there. I can't see any benefit on N/A other than using more fuel. Likely stock injectors wont flow enough.
Coming back to this what does dropping the base injector rate actually do? I've gotten the thing running on E85 and it seems to be taking it until you go over about 50% throttle it starts to lean out to roughly 12.8 which leads me to believe I'm running out of injector
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

it tells the ecm the injector needs to be open longer to flow the same fuel. thats a lie, but it means that by being open longer it flows more fuel which is the hacky way to do what you want. it might be running out of injector or fuel with stock hardware.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396