Blue Memcal testing VS V8 anyone?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
hdtvlcommy
cars: vl commodore

Blue Memcal testing VS V8 anyone?

Post by hdtvlcommy »

Forgive the novice questions here, but is there anyone out there who I can send my blue memcal from a VS automatic 304 to get tested/checked?

I have 2 memcals and 2 PCM's that have had the VATS removed supposedly off the memcal and I would like to verify that they have been done correctly as they were both done by the same guy I think. Not sure as it was done years apart, but it's the only place on ebay that does it (down the gold coast way).

The car is vl with a 304 from a VS II statesman in it and it has never run properly since I did the engine conversion. I can never seem to get it timmed correctly, but I am not even sure what the memcal controls or whether it could cause the timing issues? But you name it everything to do with ignition has been replaced so I am running out of options. Even has a new timing chain put in (the old chain was out by a link) but still cant get it running. It has spark and fuel, and no DTC's are comming up on my ilink400 scan tool. The only concerning thing is it states no cam signal on the live data on the scan tool but the hall affect sensor is new along with the ignition module and the wiring is all perfect and like i said it doesn't come up with the no cam signal trouble code anyway. compression testing seems to indicate the engine is healthy also. I'm hoping someone can help here.
'quipt4it

Re: Blue Memcal testing VS V8 anyone?

Post by 'quipt4it »

If it's running, just badly then it won't be VATS related.
Did you stab the distributor in per Holden specs:
takeastab.jpg
takeastab.jpg (118.39 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
Bear in mind this view is from the driver's chair and note the location of no.1 spark terminal (red circle).
hdtvlcommy

Post by hdtvlcommy »

yeh it points at number one on TDC compression stroke. When it does actually fire, by running badly I mean in limp mode type deal with only 3 cylinder's actually firing...i can tell this by the temp of the headers, some (most) are still cool to the touch. Apart from VATS what other job is done by the memcal? SO in other words if the car cranks (which it does) the VATS removal has been successfull and I should rule out the memcal being bad?
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

Sorry to answer with more questions, when you re-set the timing chain, did you count 16 pins between the timing dots on the gears.
If both memcals provide the same result, and there is fuel and spark, you can discount them as the problem.
It does sound timing/ phasing related.
Are there backfires, popping in the exhaust. How long does the engine 'run'.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Is the map sensor plugged in and plumbed into the manifold and the fuel hoses on around the right way in the rail then out via the fuel reg
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

if youve only got three hot headers then i'd be looking at either fuel delivery (blocked injector or no power to it ?) or is it actually getting spark to those cylinders .... its definitely not ECU related in my opinion.
tomz

Post by tomz »

My suggestions.
-Try spraying aerostart whilst cranking to see if it fires to rule out spark related issues.
-Pull the plugs are they wet ?or really dry ?...if wet maybe flooding is occuring or fuel pressure is too high.
-Check fuel pressure to confirm pump and regulator is working correctly.
-Compression test on all cylinders will rule out major cam timing or bent valve issues.
-Hook a test lamp to one of the injectors to see if they are pulsing

if its putting fuel in their and sparking at close to the right time it should run
anyhow thats how i'd tackle it . if the pump kicks on for a couple of seconds when you turn the key on the ECU is most likely working OK
hdtvlcommy

Post by hdtvlcommy »

'quipt4it wrote:Sorry to answer with more questions, when you re-set the timing chain, did you count 16 pins between the timing dots on the gears.
If both memcals provide the same result, and there is fuel and spark, you can discount them as the problem.
It does sound timing/ phasing related.
Are there backfires, popping in the exhaust. How long does the engine 'run'.
I counted 9 links of the chain between and including the shiny gold links, and the gold links mated up with the two dots on both the cam gear and crank gear. sorry not sure how the pin count works?
yes it popped and farted and carried on like back firing close to the headers. The engine would run maybe 1-2 mins before stalling.
hdtvlcommy

Post by hdtvlcommy »

delcowizzid wrote:Is the map sensor plugged in and plumbed into the manifold and the fuel hoses on around the right way in the rail then out via the fuel reg
yep the map sensor is plumbed in and the fuel hose comes into the rail on the drinkers side and exits via the regulator on the captains side.
hdtvlcommy

Post by hdtvlcommy »

Holden202T wrote:if youve only got three hot headers then i'd be looking at either fuel delivery (blocked injector or no power to it ?) or is it actually getting spark to those cylinders .... its definitely not ECU related in my opinion.
hey thanks for your input, all injectors are new and i'm sure spark is getting to each although I will re-cheack this with the spark tester. Just waiting on a new dizzy to arrive in the mail as yesterday the hall affect sensor in the dizzy decided to stop sending a signal all of a sudden so now no spark or injector pulse to add to the list of drama. Yeh I thought fuel delivery was an issue too but it always smelt rich and i decided to rule this out so replace both internal and external fuel pumps (external one was really noisey) and discovered internal one wasn't even wired in. After doing this I don't get the rich smell, but still same old issues with apparent incorrect timing...one thing I havnt checked though is the fuel regulator, but would this cause such massive problems you think?