Blue Memcal testing VS V8 anyone?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
hdtvlcommy
cars: vl commodore

Re: Blue Memcal testing VS V8 anyone?

Post by hdtvlcommy »

tomz wrote:My suggestions.
-Try spraying aerostart whilst cranking to see if it fires to rule out spark related issues.
-Pull the plugs are they wet ?or really dry ?...if wet maybe flooding is occuring or fuel pressure is too high.
-Check fuel pressure to confirm pump and regulator is working correctly.
-Compression test on all cylinders will rule out major cam timing or bent valve issues.
-Hook a test lamp to one of the injectors to see if they are pulsing

if its putting fuel in their and sparking at close to the right time it should run
anyhow thats how i'd tackle it . if the pump kicks on for a couple of seconds when you turn the key on the ECU is most likely working OK
hey thanks for your reply,

From what I understood, spraying aerostart proves if it is a fuel related issue or not. I have done this and no, it didn't change anything.

The plugs seemed wet, and yeh I thought maybe fuel pressure was too high as always smelt really rich, but after replacing the fuel pumps it no longer smells rich but still have the same issues. but do you think I should check the fuel regulator? one of the few things I havnt replaced yet.

I have used a fuel pressure guage before and seemed correct pressure and definetly wasn't too high, this was before I replaced the 2 fuel pumps though.

I have a noid light and all injectors seemed to be pulsing at the same time the plug is firing (well when I say all, i think i checked 2 or 3), but now that you mention it I should probably test them all just to be sure. but how crazy would it be that some cylinders aren't doing what the others are? I am doubtfull here, as an auto elec has checked everything over.

compression testing revealed although the engine is somewhat tired, there should be enough compression to make combustion at around 120 psi or a little less depending, and very even across all 8....however a freshly rebuilt block should be making around the 150-160 psi I believe so obviously down quite a lot in this regard.
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

Yes, definitely check the regulator.
Firstly, if it has a torn diaphragm you won't get the required pressure.
Secondly, fuel will be drawn into the manifold, creating extra richness.
Last edited by 'quipt4it on Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

You said new injectors what kind of injectors cheap ebay chinese
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

hdtvlcommy wrote:

The plugs seemed wet, and yeh I thought maybe fuel pressure was too high as always smelt really rich
You will probably have most of the cylinders not firing if your plugs are wet. Wet plugs short out the high voltage. Can be confirmed with timing light.

Dry the engine out and put a new set of spark plugs in. If the plugs get wet again quickly you have got a over fueling problem.
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

hdtvlcommy wrote:..I counted 9 links of the chain between and including the shiny gold links, and the gold links mated up with the two dots on both the cam gear and crank gear. sorry not sure how the pin count works?
yes it popped and farted and carried on like back firing close to the headers. The engine would run maybe 1-2 mins before stalling...
If you have the 'shiny' links and you lined them up to be in the middle of the dots then that's OK.
Have you ever put a timing light on it.
Where does it read if so.
From the distributor no.1 post (which is the post just to the left of the clamp), are the leads arranged in the order going clockwise 1-2-7-8-4-5-6-3.
Funny that the Hall sensor gave up, wonder if that was the cause of all this...
P.S. You didn't need to buy a whole distributor, you can still buy the sensor:
https://www.jaycar.com.au/hkz-101-hall- ... 5582d2a88f
Good to keep a spare lol
hdtvlcommy

Post by hdtvlcommy »

'quipt4it wrote:Yes, definitely check the regulator.
Firstly, if it has a torn diaphragm you won't get the required pressure.
Secondly, fuel will be drawn into the manifold, creating extra richness.

thanks, will check this out.
hdtvlcommy

Post by hdtvlcommy »

delcowizzid wrote:You said new injectors what kind of injectors cheap ebay chinese
you are right, cheap ebay ones but I will be putting the old ones back in.
hdtvlcommy

Post by hdtvlcommy »

kojab wrote:
hdtvlcommy wrote:

The plugs seemed wet, and yeh I thought maybe fuel pressure was too high as always smelt really rich
You will probably have most of the cylinders not firing if your plugs are wet. Wet plugs short out the high voltage. Can be confirmed with timing light.

Dry the engine out and put a new set of spark plugs in. If the plugs get wet again quickly you have got a over fueling problem.
I don't have a timing light but I might invest in one now, and will keep an eye on the wet plugs issue too. thanks
hdtvlcommy

Post by hdtvlcommy »

'quipt4it wrote:
hdtvlcommy wrote:..I counted 9 links of the chain between and including the shiny gold links, and the gold links mated up with the two dots on both the cam gear and crank gear. sorry not sure how the pin count works?
yes it popped and farted and carried on like back firing close to the headers. The engine would run maybe 1-2 mins before stalling...
If you have the 'shiny' links and you lined them up to be in the middle of the dots then that's OK.
Have you ever put a timing light on it.
Where does it read if so.
From the distributor no.1 post (which is the post just to the left of the clamp), are the leads arranged in the order going clockwise 1-2-7-8-4-5-6-3.
Funny that the Hall sensor gave up, wonder if that was the cause of all this...
P.S. You didn't need to buy a whole distributor, you can still buy the sensor:
https://www.jaycar.com.au/hkz-101-hall- ... 5582d2a88f
Good to keep a spare lol

yep next step will be timing light i think, after new dizzy arrives and hopefully can actually get it firing again. cheers re new hall sensor I didn't know this and lesson learned, and yep the leads are right... with all the issues with the car I have re-installed the leads/distributor atleast a dozen times and now know the firing order off by heart lol I wish it was just the sensor that has caused all the drama but I remember checking for spark before it died and it had strong spark but all the other issues were present unfortunetly.

Thanks everyone for your help, I now have a plan of attack for moving forward and will keep you all updated on things.
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

If you don't know where the ignition is firing and it's in the wrong place, the rotor phasing will likely be out, unless you're Mr. Lucky lol
Pull the distributor cap off and have a look underneath. Check for signs of carbon tracking and pitting.
They will cause uneven running, backfiring etc.
This is a good guide on a 'how to':
http://www.kalmaker.com.au/page54.html