How to test a suspect delco pcm?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
VTXU8

How to test a suspect delco pcm?

Post by VTXU8 »

I have a VT with a 304 that will not start. Replaced IG module, Coil. Dizzy/cap and plugs/leads less than 1000km old, Fuel reg. Fuel pump and injectors are working, Immobiliser seems ok. Earth points etc. It will fire but wont start. I'm starting to suspect the pcm is faulty. I have a NVRam installed and swapped back to stock with no luck. When it was running, sometimes it would misfire but would generally come good once it was at operating temp. It was'nt always like that, just started doing it a few weeks before. Is there a way to test pcm with minimal testing equipment? I do have a test lamp and a multimeter. Its a 531 pcm. Does anyone have a spare for sale? Only other thing i can think of is the new dizzy/HEC is faulty
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Re: How to test a suspect delco pcm?

Post by vs ss »

Get someone to turn it over while you spray something like aerostart brake clean etc down the intake. If it try’s to run a lot longer you know it’s not getting fuel and spark side is ok,then you can go from there. (Unless you have already done this)
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Don't want to seem like a smartarse but have you looked at fault codes?
VTXU8

Post by VTXU8 »

@ VS SS, i will try that asap
@ Charlescrown, No you're not a smartarse. I have not done that yet and i guess i should have done that already. Not 100% sure how you go about that, i know its not hard. What pins do you bridge? Is there a link in here on how to go about that? I will do more searching on here and hopefully find it. I will post updates as i go. Reason why i suspect PCM as i had one go on me in my VP v8. It was grounding the injectors constantly. I just filled up at servo and it wouldnt start. It was filling up the bores. Thankfully it didnt spark. Anyway,I can smell fuel after a few cranks like it's starting to flood. Everything has been replaced except for PCM and fuel pump. Fuel pump primes for 2 secs when ignition is on so if it were fuel pressure, it should at least start for a second or 2.
VTXU8

Post by VTXU8 »

Update: Checked for codes,only code 12 would that also indicate that the PCM is okay?
vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

Hey mate, not sure weather you know or not or maybe you do, but the codes will flash three of each before moving on starting at 12. Just that some people let it flash once or twice and think it all good. Cheers
VTXU8

Post by VTXU8 »

@ VS SS. Thanks mate, yes i was aware. I let it go for approx 5 mins. Didn't change. So i think it's indicating that the PCM is ok given there's no codes. I can't see a code number for Hall effect sensor? or would it be under fault code for Cam or Crank sensor? Thanks guys for all your replies . Keep them coming. Obviously i'm missing something. Just want to tick off all the boxes
vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

Ok cool. It’s a hard one to say with pcm. I’ve had them where they show no signs of been damaged but the injector drivers didn’t work. Be interesting to see if it will run on a spray of juice just to eliminate spark side.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

The thing with codes is the ECU can only report on what it's programmed to look at. Outside that it gets back to basics and a multimeter. At least you know it's saying all that it can report on are all within specs. How much cranking have you done. The plugs may be saturated with fuel.
VTXU8

Post by VTXU8 »

Charlescrown wrote:The thing with codes is the ECU can only report on what it's programmed to look at. Outside that it gets back to basics and a multimeter. At least you know it's saying all that it can report on are all within specs. How much cranking have you done. The plugs may be saturated with fuel.
YEAH TRUE. i'VE DONE ALOT OF CRANKING TO THE POINT I CAN SMELL FUEL LIKE ITS FLOODING(oops! sorry for uppercase). I just bought a NOID test kit as well as a spark test kit so i will get to that tomorrow morning. If that all checks out then can only really be a fuel issue.