Knock Sensor readings - What is a normal ? V6 3.8L

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
'quipt4it

Re: Knock Sensor readings - What is a normal ? V6 3.8L

Post by 'quipt4it »

JohnDee68 wrote:...That was from the VX_V6_$BD_Enhanced_v0.9e.XDF which returns the Base Injector Rate from address location being 0x70A3 from any BIN file it reads as does VXV6_BD B v1.33.xdf. However using the VXV6_BD A v1.33.xdf it returns values from address location 0x70A1 resulting in a different value altogether yet being still for VxV6. All these XDF’s are for the VXV6, though how can it be looking at different addresses within the chip to expect the same values? Something isn’t correct and I don’t think it is me. I believe it is an oversight in the assignment of addressing as it needs to be better matched to the chips in the varied PCM’s. ...
As mentioned previously, you can't use an XDF from a different OS (Operating System). They are specific for the bin file.
JohnDee68 wrote:...What is the difference of the VxV6 XDF files for anyway, I’m presuming it is in reference to the car PCM Chip versions? Maybe there isn’t currently a XDF that’s correct for my later version PCM chips?...
The Memcal ID Tool presented a match for both those PCM's you listed...
JohnDee68
cars: L36 Vx Series 2 8/2002 Acclaim Wagon 3.8L ECOTEC II.

Post by JohnDee68 »

'quipt4it wrote:
JohnDee68 wrote:Presuming that it is meant to be grams/millisecond, then based on the BOSH 02 280 155 777 injectors being rated at 162 gram/min (162 mL/min) to 219.85 cc/min (219.85 mL/min). Then 361.33 mL/min is way too high. So the figure around the 163.13 mL/sec which is from the addressing location 0x070A0 is more likely correct.
Lowering the base injector rate will increase the amount of fuel through the injector. This has some useful info:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=894&p=10547&hilit=injector#p10547
Thanks quipt4it,
It now makes sense to what the MSEC/GRAM is in TunerPro for the Base Injector Rate now. I couldn't find that info when i searched previously.
JohnDee68

Post by JohnDee68 »

delcowizzid wrote:Scrap all old files flash the full enhanced bin onto the ecu it has the correct xdf for it in the zip folder it should run just like a stock ecu and all settings will be displayed correctly. Don't use it to copy anything out of any other bins there's 2 versions of vx and vy bins each using a different xdf for the different os and then the enhanced it modified and requires its own xdf
delcowizzid, appreciate your advice,
Yep, I have started a new folder system with the basic files. Though I don't want an "enhanced" version, as I am after getting back to "factory" starting point if at all possible.

I am now back to using the following files:
VX_V6_$BD_Enhanced_v0.9c.adx
VX_V6_$BD_Enhanced_v0.9e.xdf
VX_V6_$BD_Enhanced_v0.9.bin

I have just changed the file names so i can recognise them in my filing system. :)

I am yet to flash the PCM as I require the car working for another few days and don't want to risk it for the sake of a day or two.
I do note though that when i use the comparison tool in TunerPro between the Enhanced bin and my original bin (from back in 2018 before issues) that there were no values in my original in any of the MAF settings as in the Enhanced bin. I am presuming that would be because of the bin being an enhanced version bin.
JohnDee68

Post by JohnDee68 »

'quipt4it wrote:
JohnDee68 wrote:...That was from the VX_V6_$BD_Enhanced_v0.9e.XDF which returns the Base Injector Rate from address location being 0x70A3 from any BIN file it reads as does VXV6_BD B v1.33.xdf. However using the VXV6_BD A v1.33.xdf it returns values from address location 0x70A1 resulting in a different value altogether yet being still for VxV6. All these XDF’s are for the VXV6, though how can it be looking at different addresses within the chip to expect the same values? Something isn’t correct and I don’t think it is me. I believe it is an oversight in the assignment of addressing as it needs to be better matched to the chips in the varied PCM’s. ...
As mentioned previously, you can't use an XDF from a different OS (Operating System). They are specific for the bin file.
JohnDee68 wrote:...What is the difference of the VxV6 XDF files for anyway, I’m presuming it is in reference to the car PCM Chip versions? Maybe there isn’t currently a XDF that’s correct for my later version PCM chips?...
The Memcal ID Tool presented a match for both those PCM's you listed...

quipt4it, I thank you and all greatly for you help with this stuff, once i have the correct setup of files, i should be good to go. Can you confirm then that i am to use these files, which I am now presuming are the correct set to use?
I am now back to using the following files:
VX_V6_$BD_Enhanced_v0.9c.adx
VX_V6_$BD_Enhanced_v0.9e.xdf
VX_V6_$BD_Enhanced_v0.9.bin
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

Looks good :thumbup:
You can't go wrong if you use the bin, XDF and ADX from the same .zip file, with the correct Memcal ID Tool match for your application.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

You can throw your spare ecu in there vx or vy doesn't matter and flash the ose enhanced bin onto it with ose flashtool. It will then run just like stock. Then do a read cal with the flashtool . Open the cal read in tunerpro and do your editing from there then do write cal with ose flashtool to send the tune to the ecu. If you used the wrong xdf to edit your tune you may have corrupted some settings that arnt what you thought you were editing.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
JohnDee68

Post by JohnDee68 »

Thanks again guys,
appreciate you help and time.
Lets hope i can finally fix what I am trying to get resolved.

One last thing, am i still correct in that it isn't possible to use TunerProV5 to do "live" tuning?
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

Yes, correct. Flash tuning only.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

On vx and vy n/a ecotec flash ecus there is no live tuning.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem