Knock Sensor readings - What is a normal ? V6 3.8L

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
JohnDee68
cars: L36 Vx Series 2 8/2002 Acclaim Wagon 3.8L ECOTEC II.

Re: Knock Sensor readings - What is a normal ? V6 3.8L

Post by JohnDee68 »

immortality wrote:The car when started is in open loop mode. Once it reaches a set temp (30°C IIRC) it goes into closed loop mode when driving. If you increase the throttle a small amount it should stay in closed loop but give it a decent increase in TPS and the car goes into Open loop mode for PE (power enrichment). The engine will also go into lean cruise/open loop when cruising down the motorway and there is also open loop idle.

What mods have been done to the car?
Ok, so given i drive the car "like a grandpa", I can't see why it should switch from open and closed loop so many times on easy driving. There are no mods done to the engine. What failings might cause the car to go open closed too often and would that possibly cause the higher fuel use and loss of some power?
JohnDee68

Post by JohnDee68 »

'quipt4it wrote:As mentioned earlier, load fresh ADX, XDF and bin files and start afresh.
Looks like you may have done something wrong when altering your XDF parameters.
VX and VY are listed as separate zip files:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2518
They also use different XDF's, so you can't directly do a 'Compare Bin".
Download the Memcal ID tool:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=905
This is a good way to verify correct OS and any differences between model variants etc.

The FAQ section, top right of screen is a mine of info. The search bar can also be a great help.
I will look at going back to the beginning again, but it didn't make any difference a year or so ago, but that could be that if i am possibly using the same files, then any error would still remain or return. When i did do that about a year ago I still had issues with the values and mapping back then, even with things like the MAF, l/km and some others that just didn't report correctly.
JohnDee68

Post by JohnDee68 »

'quipt4it wrote:As mentioned earlier, load fresh ADX, XDF and bin files and start afresh.
Looks like you may have done something wrong when altering your XDF parameters.
VX and VY are listed as separate zip files:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2518
They also use different XDF's, so you can't directly do a 'Compare Bin".
Download the Memcal ID tool:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=905
This is a good way to verify correct OS and any differences between model variants etc.

The FAQ section, top right of screen is a mine of info. The search bar can also be a great help.
Ok, using the MEMCAL software, now I recall the issue. It doesn't have the PCM's I have in my car - So I can't find a correct BIN file. Maybe that has been the issue all along as to why the TunerPro just doesn't seem to be accurate enough? My PCM details are as follows: (all replacement ones also had identical Service and other numbers on them, except the last one which had 16269208 as the other number - Not sure if the DKDC is current one in the car, will check in the morning).
Service No: 9356445
Other: 16269248
Other: DMTY

Service No: 9356445
Other: 16269208
Other: DKDC

If anyone can fine the correct BIN, XDF and ADX I should be using, Please let me know what ones they are.
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

This is the Memcal ID Tool screenshot:
tools.jpg
You seem to be using the correct files.
JohnDee68 wrote:As far as i am aware, I am using the VX_V6_$BD_Enhanced_v0.9e.xdf which I have overtime modified, well what ever file it is that allows me to make my own dash displays (maybe not the XDF).
From the previous page: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2518
Re-flash with fresh download and let us know how you go :thumbup:
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

That pic with the valve. It's definitely the exhaust because look at the burning on the face. That doesn't happen to the inlet valves.
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

Plus the bulky under-head and the margin thickness.
Unmistakable from an intake valve :thumbup:
JohnDee68

Post by JohnDee68 »

'quipt4it wrote:This is the Memcal ID Tool screenshot:
tools.jpg
You seem to be using the correct files.
JohnDee68 wrote:As far as i am aware, I am using the VX_V6_$BD_Enhanced_v0.9e.xdf which I have overtime modified, well what ever file it is that allows me to make my own dash displays (maybe not the XDF).
From the previous page: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2518
Re-flash with fresh download and let us know how you go :thumbup:
So let me try to understand this. I used the Memcal application and the numbers don't line up with the PCM's I have. Which is why I believe there are crossed data fields, wrong mem allocations ect. when using the combination of TunerPro, the suggested BIN file and the OSE Enhanced Flash tool.
As when i use those recommended files there are many values that don't line up?
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

I feel you may have corrupted files.
Loading new ones will eliminate this as a possible cause.

Also, from The1's Enhanced Factory Bins page, "Flash PCM's also require the whole bin to be flashed the first time, tuning updates thereafter can be cal only flash's".
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

Can you post a screenshot of an example for an item that doesn't line up.
JohnDee68

Post by JohnDee68 »

'quipt4it wrote:Can you post a screenshot of an example for an item that doesn't line up.
Yes, I will prepare some that dont line up and see if It can be worked out.
I have done the BIN file uploads initially to the PCM's. But they never seemed to be correct when it come to the values of a few things. I'll try to select the ones that are most noticeable. have reloaded the xdf, adx, bin files again, but they still have the same results.