L67 Boost Solenoid Duty - Boost Cut Out

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
rbmillz
cars: 1990 Toyota Hilux 2wd
1992 Nissan Pulsar GTIR

L67 Boost Solenoid Duty - Boost Cut Out

Post by rbmillz »

Hi Guys,
First off want to thank you guys for the forum and wealth of information buried here, has been a huge help to me during my L67 conversion in my Hilux and is much appreciated.

I have the ute running and driving and it starts, idles and cruises ok. I just cant get full factory boost pressure.

I am running the standard S/C pulley and only have extractors and a tuned memcal which I have been told is the HSV XU6 tune with vats delete and Manual Transmission.

I have noticed that low rpm full throttle the car seems fine, but once you get to about 3000rpm the engine seems flat and does not generate boost above 3psi in the rev range. Looking at the logs the Boost Solenoid seems to open which would explain the boost loss.

If someone could have a look at the logs for me and let me know your thoughts would be much appreciated. I'm a bit stumped.
Attachments
new spark plugs bosch.xdl
(227.42 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: L67 Boost Solenoid Duty - Boost Cut Out

Post by immortality »

Most people simply bypass the electronic boost solenoid and remove that issue altogether. You do need to leave it plugged in electrically or it will set a fault code, but remove and bypass the vacuum side. Bypassing the electronic boost solenoid also make the boost come on quicker when you apply the go pedal.

Shit, I was going to link the page on the L67 torque forum that has all the info but it's gone. Damn shame as there was a lot of good info stored there.
hsv08
cars: (EX) VT SENATOR 355 STROKER
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

As immortality has mentioned, just remove it.
rbmillz
1992 Nissan Pulsar GTIR

Post by rbmillz »

Thanks for the quick reply!

Ok I will bypass the valve, but leave it electrically connected. Will do a test tomorrow and log it to see what we get.

If there is an issue that is causing the valve to bypass, I should definitely see that in the logs. If the valve is the issue, all should be sweet.... !

Cheers for the direction.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I believe the normal reasons in the tune to open the boost valve are either high air intake temps or high engine coolant temps. If you have fitted a MAT sensor in the LIM (instead of the normal AIT sensor in the airbox) and seeing AIT's over 80°C that the electronic solenoid will open.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Limits boost when engine is cold too
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
rbmillz
1992 Nissan Pulsar GTIR

Post by rbmillz »

Yep I have the IAT sensor in the air filter box and see around 14 -20 degrees. My coolant temps are no higher than 85 ish degrees with the lower rate thermostat.

Didn't get a chance this weekend to do the mod to the boost valve and go for a run, but will make some time tomorrow.

Is there any issues with idle once the valve is bypassed?

Did any of you guys get a chance to look at the log?

I'd love to get my hands on another standard l67 log for comparison.
rbmillz
1992 Nissan Pulsar GTIR

Post by rbmillz »

So Check this out,

Looking at my log again I noticed that under WOT I have a total of 7 degrees total spark advance at 4289 rpm. I would have thought this would be higher than this....
Maf value seems to be responding ok but is the value correct? Have I got a restriction in intake flow?

IAT and ECT are ok.

Log attached.

Any thoughts?
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-08-30 211445.jpg
hsv08
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

Your adaptive Spark Retard is pegged at 14.06 degrees, Throwing you into the LOW Octane table
hsv08
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

Do you have a Bin file?