ECU Failure

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Mr383

ECU Failure

Post by Mr383 »

Hi,I have had a chip failure and it took out the ecu with it,im sure the first ecu was an 808,nobody in my area can extract the tune off the chip,so I was forced to dyno the car with a new ecu.Old ecu was a standard Holden commodore ecu but was modified to allowed you to simply plug into it and tune away and most snap on scanners could read any error codes,if any,since this has happened no scanner can access the ecu.Any suggestions on this.?
Also,save me pulling the ecu in and out for tuning purposes,as ive seen some pretty rough guys pulling,unplugging it and ruining the plugs and pins.The ecu in the car is a standard commodore ecu,not sure if its a 16206305 or a 16183082,but I was told that these numbered ecu's were better than the 808's,so i bought one these.I would like to buy a kit with components to modify the ecu i have now to allow me to simply plug my laptop in and tune away,just as it was when i bought the car.Car is a manual.
Any suggestions?
To add to this since the new ecu went into the car,no scanner can access the ecu either,weird.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: ECU Failure

Post by vlad01 »

Ideally you want an 082 or a 305 with a pcmhacking ALDL cable, it will save you needing to mod the ECU for a USB comms. You also want an NVRAM from this site to replace the memcal for real time life tuning.

Then the only real mod you need to do assuming you have a VN or VP loom is you need to install an extra wire in the ECU plug for serial data and add a OBD style plug under the dash somewhere so you can easily plug in the ALDL plug.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Mr383

Post by Mr383 »

Its a VR series 2,originally an auto,has been converted to a manual and the ecu plug repinned.Im sure its an 082,but will have to check.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Hopefully if the serial data wire hasn't been messed with it should be good to go with an ALDL cable and NVRAM.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Mr383

Post by Mr383 »

What do you mean by messed with?
Are you talking about the wire that goes from the plug under my steering wheel where a scanner is plugged in to read codes?
If so,yes,I have cut it in the past and resoldered it.The reason for this was to bypass the loom in the car incase there was a break in the serial data wire to eliminate that cause,and I ran an external wire,but a scanner still could not read anything.By memory i believe it was a red wire,might have had a stipe,but all this was done years back,so memory of what I did is vague.
Mr383

Post by Mr383 »

What do you mean by messed with?
Are you talking about the wire that goes from the plug under my steering wheel where a scanner is plugged in to read codes?
If so,yes,I have cut it in the past and resoldered it.The reason for this was to bypass the loom in the car incase there was a break in the serial data wire to eliminate that cause,and I ran an external wire,but a scanner still could not read anything.By memory i believe it was a red wire,might have had a stipe,but all this was done years back,so memory of what I did is vague.
Also can I use the parts that made my 808 a programable ecu on my 082?
Would any of those parts be corrupted?or am i better off with brand new items?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yes, as long as the wire is still connected it should be fine. And yes, you can move the NVRAM from the 808 to either 082 or 305 as they are basically the same ECU just with high speed serial comms already built in.

Just don't transfer the USD comms board as you don't need it if you are using the later ECU, just need to get an ALDL cable and plug it into the plug under the steering column.