permanent set up on engine dyno for tuning vn-vr V8s ?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Boz-Race Engines
cars: 5litre patrol, WB ute

permanent set up on engine dyno for tuning vn-vr V8s ?

Post by Boz-Race Engines »

Hi how Hard would it be to set up a permanent set up on a engine dyno for tuning factory ECUs for VN-VR Holden V8s, as tuning options in WA are very limited here, what would be the best way to go about this? what tuning program would you guys recommend these days? it would be great to be able to tune engines we build or other peoples engines on our Superflow engine dyno and be able to put that tune into the cars on their own ECUs etc. as alot of EFI Holdens are making a comeback such as VN-VP SS's ETC, as we area struggling to get any decent tunes done. would appreciate any input, cheers
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: permanent set up on engine dyno for tuning vn-vr V8s ?

Post by immortality »

Hi Mate,

The best way would be to get/use a VR 424 PCM/wiring loom and fit a NVram module so you can tune in real time using a ALDL data cable to connect to your laptop.

The software we use is https://www.tunerpro.net/downloadApp.htm

And the best tuning files to use are

OSE 12P V112 manual

and

OSE 11P V104 Auto

OSE based factory code will cover all EFI V8 engines VN-VS except the last MAF based software.

There are heaps of help files and guides found here Holden ALDL ECU's

And lots of helpful folks on this site to help with any issues you might come across.
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Post by Tre-Cool »

i've used the plug-in haltech sport ecu on a couple manual vr's, then done the nvram for a vn & t400 combo.

dyno will help dial base fuel & timing, but drivability & checking fueling on the road in car will still need to be checked.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

808 with 12P, that will cover all of those engines and is trans agnostic. Then you can copy the relevant tables/setting to 11P for the VR/VS autos.

424 is a bit of a pain to get to run standalone due to the umptillion auto settings.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Boz-Race Engines
cars: 5litre patrol, WB ute

Post by Boz-Race Engines »

thanks for the help, i realise it may take some time to learn and figure out loads and try and simulate road conditions. but im sure i could get a better tune in them than the crap tunes we have been getting. they have been way off