VN 808 Help with OSE $12P V112

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
starlight
cars: VN Commodore Series 1 Manual

VN 808 Help with OSE $12P V112

Post by starlight »

Hey community,

I've been doing alot of research on these forums and have read as many of the guides as possible before getting started on my adventure, however I seem to be having some issues I can't work out so I feel I might be missing something basic perhaps and would like some clarification please.

Current set up:
Car: VN V6 Manual - and if required to know, the original '808 ECU has a ATFY4410 Memcal - however I am not using this ECU at all, it is locked away for safe keeping and am playing with a spare ECU.
ECU: Spare '808 ECU pulled from a VP V6 Auto - Memcal is a BAAM0265. This is what I am playing with.

What I have done so far:
I have replaced the stock Memcal with a 256K EEPROM (32Kbyte size)
I have burned a stacked ATFY4410 to the EEPROM, and fired her up in car - works no problem
I then did the same with a stacked BAAM0265 - again, no issues here.

Where I run into troubles
I have attempted to burn the OSE $12P V112 APNX V6 binary to the EEPROM - however when I do this, I get the engine fan come on immediately after switching ignition to ON.
I believe that this means the CPU cannot read the EEPROM and goes into some fault mode?

I have verified the binary is burned correctly - I am using a home made EEPROM burner/reader, and can confirm it is working well not only by reading back the binary written and comparing the bytes to the original BIN file and coming up good. But also writing the stock yet stacked ATFY and BAAM Bins and they worked fine.

Leading me to believe the issue is not with the burner.

I believe I am missing something?

Am I correct in my understanding that I should be able to simply burn the OSE $12p V112 bin to the EEPROM and the car should be able to read it properly and at least start?
Or are there some other modification I have to do?
Something I have to change in TP first before I burn?
Some hardware mods first?
I'm kinda lost here as I cannot find info on requirements for this that work for me in my current set up.
I understand that for real time tuning I would need an NVRAM board, however that is planned for a later time - so I am not using one yet.
I also understand that for real time logging I would need a High speed comms mod, however again, I'm not at that stage yet and trying to take this in small steps.

Is there something obvious that I have missed? Maybe I have misunderstood the hardware requirements?

I've tried to provide as much info i feel is relevant as possible but my apologies if I have missed out any info that is required to help - let me know if this is the case and I'll provide the info.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

EDIT Reason - added info that this is for a V6
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: VN 808 Help with OSE $12P V112

Post by vlad01 »

What programmer are you using? are you using the 32k non stacked file?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

12P should load fine on your eprom taking up 256K so I guess no offset. It sounds like it's going into limp mode. Have you looked at codes to see why the fan is coming on?
starlight

Post by starlight »

vlad01 wrote:What programmer are you using? are you using the 32k non stacked file?
Hey vlad,

I am using a home made programmer - using a teensy microcontroller, and some python code to read the BIN and send the bytes over serial to the microcontroller which in turn will program the EEPROM.
The BIN is indeed the 32k, non stacked file - full filename is "OSE $12P V112 APNX V6.BIN" and is extracted from the zip file downloaded from this site found here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=356
Charlescrown wrote:12P should load fine on your eprom taking up 256K so I guess no offset. It sounds like it's going into limp mode. Have you looked at codes to see why the fan is coming on?
Hey Charlescrown,
Indeed no offset, just written the non stacked 32kb file to the EEPROM as is. Without any modifications to the file at all, including no changes made in TunerPro.

Regarding fault codes, I shorted A9 (white/black wire) to Ground for the CEL Flash mode, and the CEL stays steady on, no flashing.
In order to test the CEL mode is working correctly, I used a working BIN such as ATFY4410, and then i get code 12 - which is supposed to be a sign of nothing wrong.

So no codes can be deduced since the CEL Steady on....unless that itself means something? I could not find a reference to this CEL state of always on....
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

12P should give you all the same codes as a VR Commodore. You should be getting code 12 if all is well. I don't know what will cause the check engine light to continually on except if you have the engine running it means it's too rich. Maybe you have a corrupt program.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Sounds like corruption to me, the OS in 12P is not working which will cause limp mode and the unresponsive CEL.

I would look at the programmer side of things and see if you can download the bin back off the eeprom and do a code validation against the original bin. Hopefully that will give insight to the problem.

Even the eeprom itself could be faulty. I had one that programmed in 2 address locations at the same time with the same section of code. Seemed to be some sort of internal short in the address lines? I had few others have stuck bits. All after soldering them but not before programing. Evidently they hate heat so I solder a socket and never solder the chip itself anymore.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
starlight

Post by starlight »

Charlescrown wrote:12P should give you all the same codes as a VR Commodore. You should be getting code 12 if all is well. I don't know what will cause the check engine light to continually on except if you have the engine running it means it's too rich. Maybe you have a corrupt program.
Thanks Charlescrown, that is what I thought regarding a corrupt program. I say this as the engine is not running when testing, Ignition is set to ON, never switched to START.

It exhibits the same behaviour when the EEPROM is not in the ECU - leading me to believe it isn't reading the EEPROM correctly for one reason or another.
vlad01 wrote:Sounds like corruption to me, the OS in 12P is not working which will cause limp mode and the unresponsive CEL.

I would look at the programmer side of things and see if you can download the bin back off the eeprom and do a code validation against the original bin. Hopefully that will give insight to the problem.

Even the eeprom itself could be faulty. I had one that programmed in 2 address locations at the same time with the same section of code. Seemed to be some sort of internal short in the address lines? I had few others have stuck bits. All after soldering them but not before programing. Evidently they hate heat so I solder a socket and never solder the chip itself anymore.
Thanks vlad, as above I thought the same. However I have read back the bin off the EEPROM at different points in time and the BIN always checks out good compared to the original.
1 - I write the BIN, then read it back immediately - all good.
2 - I remove the EEPROM from the programmer - put into the ECU, power it up.... fan is on.
3 - Take out EEPROM, read back to test for any corruption - file compare checks out good.

I have also always used a socket as I know from past experiences heat is a big no no....plus I don't like the idea of the pins getting bent so easily with so much removal and insertion of the EEPROM.

I have tried 3 different EEPROMs with the same result.

Also, power is never on when removing/inserting the EEPROM as this too can cause corruption issues.

Writing a stock VN bin (ATFY4410 and BAAM0265) to the same EEPROMs using the same programmer works fine 100% of the time.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Have you tried the BLCD bin? Personally I never tried the APNX bin so I have no idea if it works.

Also I one had an issue with a newer version of tuner pro where there was a single bit flip in the OS part of the bin on the last (first row from ECUs prospective) and it did the same, no matter what I did it kept happening so I went back to using my old laptop which had a really old but bug free version of TP from like 2015 or something like that.

That solved that issue. But I assume you didn't run APNX through TP correct?
starlight

Post by starlight »

vlad01 wrote:Have you tried the BLCD bin? Personally I never tried the APNX bin so I have no idea if it works.

Also I one had an issue with a newer version of tuner pro where there was a single bit flip in the OS part of the bin on the last (first row from ECUs prospective) and it did the same, no matter what I did it kept happening so I went back to using my old laptop which had a really old but bug free version of TP from like 2015 or something like that.

That solved that issue. But I assume you didn't run APNX through TP correct?
Correct vlad, I did not run it through TP out of fear that it may have been doing something strange.

So I just wrote the BIN from the zip archive as is with no adjustments what so ever.

I will try the BLCD bin as suggested and will report back with the results.
starlight

Post by starlight »

Trying with BLCD (OSE $12P V112 BLCD V6.BIN) yields the exact same result as APNX - i.e. fan is on, and CEL stuck on even when in CEL Flash mode.

Verified the written binary to the binary on disk - checks out good.

This makes me think that there is something wrong with the BINs in the archive, however I had re downloaded a fresh copy just to be sure and is still not working.

And I am sure there can't be anything wrong with the archive provided on the forums since there are heaps of downloads by various folks and have not seen any issues of the same nature.

Pretty confused right now.