ALDL LCD Display

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
BennVenn
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200

ALDL LCD Display

Post by BennVenn »

Prototype installed and working!

Next revision (PCB's on their way) supports logging to SD card as well as active or passive mode (Send's the mode0 request, or just listens to the bus - if you're using tunerpro).

Available with or without the LCD so you can keep one in the glovebox and let it log for you or put one in a case or install it in a pod housing, or behind the cluster like this one.

Will be open source, you can display anything you like (from a mode0 response - same as TunerPro gauge display), use a larger or smaller LCD, change colors if thresholds are met and it will support spark cut for rev limiting or 2step. Also supports display dimming for night driving and has two extra IO pins for custom use.

This particular firmware shows MAP, IAT, Degrees advance, battery voltage and the larger display is CLT but changes to boost upon positive manifold pressure. I might squeeze wideband in there too while on boost.

PM me if you're interested in one of the 10 I have arriving in a few weeks.
aldl.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grCapf1r9QY
vp304

Re: ALDL LCD Display

Post by vp304 »

Wow very nice
Will work on Vr ecu on 11p ?
How much ?
and anymore info on how you hookup connect etc.
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

It works by sending a Mode0 Message 1 request, parsing the packet it receives and updating the display. If 11p supports mode0-1 then it'll work just fine. You may need to change the ECU ID? I'm not sure if both 12p and 11p share the same ID.

It connects using Gnd, Tx and Rx. I also use ECU 5v as it remains powered for about 2 seconds after shutdown which is ideal to save a log to SD.

The proto was made out of a 'Maple Mini' stm32 board (kind of like a tiny 32bit arduino) and a 2" SPI TFT lcd screen. The PCB's i've designed have everything integrated as well as 5v to 3.3v level shifting (The ECU won't respond to 3.3v level serial).

The maple mini goes for around $10, the screen about $15 from aussie sellers. Cheaper from China. I won't be using the maple mini in my pcb design, just the STM32F103 IC and supporting electronics.

I'll probably sell them for $50 fully assembled, programmed and tested. I'll include the pcb files, code, parts list if you wanted to make your own. If you make your own, you can drop in a smaller or larger screen. There's some nice 4 and 5 inch cheap panels on aliexpress that would look great.
vp304

Post by vp304 »

Sounds good.
Maybe one of the other guys on here may know if 11p works the same as 12p?
Il probably go for a 2 inch screen can remove my dash boost gauge now and fit this in its place.
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

Oh this is also set up for a 2bar map sensor, Just need to change a scaler in the code if you're using a 3bar. I wonder If I can get it to interrogate the ECU to see what map sensor flags are set...
vp304

Post by vp304 »

I am on 2 bar map sensor also so winning there
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

That's a very nicely made product. Well gone :thumbup:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
SilentBob
cars: VY

Post by SilentBob »

That's excellent, I'll grab one of these when they're ready.
I've been designing a 52mm version for a gauge pod. No need too now.

Do you have the files on github or anything?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

dash looks good! But all OS data payload is different, thats why they all need the matching adx in tunerpro. @bennvenn since you have the oseplugin source you can use parts of the type and version detection in this, then build a data table from different adx files of the different payload offsets to support 11p v104, 12pv12.. and anything else. you could also look at the xdf files to see what address to read to get map type flags, or measure map at keyon and if its close to 5v its 1 bar, close to 2.5v its 2 bar etc. might need to do an initial mode 0,1 request saving the packet before the engine cranks, then id the bin, then pull the right byte from the packet. also look at the mode 6 adx if you want higher update frequency.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
hsv08
cars: (EX) VT SENATOR 355 STROKER
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

This is fantastic! Hopefully you can get it to support the later MAF based PCM XDF's. Ill take one once built!