Initial tune woes with new manifold and TB on my 355

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Initial tune woes with new manifold and TB on my 355

Post by antus »

19/14=0.422
new values = current values *0.422 so your values will be just under half as much injection time in milliseconds for the injectors that are just over twice the size.

I thought it was first stage is milliseconds opening time up to... 200rpm?, second stage is 200-400rpm. But I am not completely sure and its not clear from the code. Temperature correction is also applied. Since its only cracking it just needs to get the engine rotating so its not critical to be absolutely perfect, you just want it to fire and not flood when you start it whether its hot or cold. There is a fair bit of leeway in the values you use, the ballpark changes are generally enough. But vlad is right, you'd need to reduce the minimum ms else the other tables might not be used if you lower the values.

I think I hit this once helping a guy out with a sprint car, got it running well, but it was still hard to start. In hind sight I bet it was the minimum crank ms that we hadnt lowered for the huge methanol injectors and didnt find at the time. always something to learn!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Mr DOHC
cars: VP Maloo

Post by Mr DOHC »

Those BPW for cranking are assuming a stock 5L now running 440cc injectors.
This is a 355, big cam, dual plane and a 1000c TB. So what do you reckon, 20% more than 0.422?
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Maybe? I would just try the 0.4 - 0.45. Too much can flood and be a pain in the ass, too lean is not bad as long as it reliably starts it's a non issue unlike flooding.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Mr DOHC

Post by Mr DOHC »

Bit odd, ive been chasing a cranking issue this weekend.
Ive tried various Msec values in both the First stage and Second stage cranking maps.
i watched the gauges this time and for some reason, JUST as it kicks, my BPW goes off the charts to 921.88 BPW (log attached)

I've done a difference check between my map and the stock one, apart from the basic stuff like injector size, idle speed and the AFR voltage. the maps are much the same.

Any ideas on that?
Attachments
V2_1i.xdl
(12.42 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I would just ignore that, probably just some random data as it's only for a split sec on the initial turn over of the engine.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Mr DOHC

Post by Mr DOHC »

Kk
Turns out the plugs were fouled. Cleaned up and it started.

I have my VE values up around 90 at 2200/75. But the duty cycle is only 10%.
I thought 105 was the theoretical limit of the value you can put in the VE table?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

100% is the max you can put in or what ever that is in 8bit value. I try to not exceed 90% at the peak VE. So in this case it sounds like you need to increase your injector rate in the tune by a % and then reduce your VE values by the same % so you are tuning from the same point but with more headroom in the VE table. This is pretty normal as Kinjflow and all theory can only tell you so much and the engine might be wanting different in real life.
Mr DOHC

Post by Mr DOHC »

“ increase your injector rate in the tune by a %”

You mean in the Kinjflow?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

This setting. That's my value for the 440cc injectors but mind you this a hot V6 race engine and the engine doesn't exist yet but I converted the tune from a factory based one to 12P for this combo but with 440cc injectors instead of the the unknown falcon? ones used in the late 80s. When the engine gets built and tuned on an engine dyno this value will likely change just like I suggested.
Injec-Flow.PNG
Injec-Flow.PNG (34.29 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
Mr DOHC

Post by Mr DOHC »

I have 0.064 in there for mine. Just to test I changed it to your value and it obviously didn’t make a difference.

It’s like I’m missing some multiplier somewhere?

ok, lets make sure i have the right shit going forward
i opened the OSE $12P V112 BLCF V8.BIN
modified it with the injector sizing to 0.064,
changed the WB setting to have a lower limit of 10.0 for 0V and upper of 20.0 for 5V in the VE Learn Param
changed injector bias vs voltage and bias add-on
First and second stage crank pulses

Have i even got the , bin, ADX and XDF of the right type (VP Auto BTW) that all talk correctly?
OSE $12P V112 BLCF V8.BIN
OSE12P V112 - 1,2 and 3 bar.xdf
OSE_$12PV112_1BAR - Petrol with calcVE.adx
Attachments
V2_1n.xdl
(180.48 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Maloo dual plane V5.03.BIN
(32 KiB) Downloaded 67 times