NVRAM Issues

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
1979project
cars: vb commodore turbo 202 soon to be turbo v6, vx s l67

NVRAM Issues

Post by 1979project »

Hi Guys,

I am having issues With My Nvram I have been using for the Past 6 years.
A few months back it was playing up. So I ordered a new Dallas DS1245y chip. it turned out to be a copy so I ordered another off Element 14 (this one got put on backorder).
In the end I got one though Digikey. It is genuine built on the 20th week 2022. I have loaded a burnt a fresh copy of 11p onboard but cannot connect to it with tp or the flash tool if I start the engine the fan comes on instantly.
If I us a memcal it connects straight away and runs perfect.

Things I have tried.

Spare ecu with write wire installed.
Using it with a memcal and off the Jumpers.
Checked resistors and capacitors on the board.
Used 2 different aldl usb cables both connect fine with the memcal in place just not with the nvram.
checked connection from the socket for the ds1245y on the board right through to the ecu board pin with the nvram in place.
verified the file on the ds1245y using HxD and the file matched.
Downloaded a fresh copy of 11p.

Is there any common issues that I am missing here? every now and then a relay flickers while the fuel pump is priming sounds like a bad connection. (everything functions fine with memcal in place)
Do you think there could be a chance the new DS1245y is no good?
Is anyone available to take a look and repair if I send it? happy to pay I just want to get it sorted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks, Josh
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: NVRAM Issues

Post by antus »

which ds1245y is it? -70ind? It doesnt have to be that one, but its fast and has the temperature specs to last. what file did you put on the nvram? was it the stacked file? thats the one you need to use as the nvram is 128 kbyte, and the memcal max is 64kbyte, so you need a copy in each bank else only one bank will be working (probably not the one you have selected with the map_sw jumper).
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Ken

Post by Ken »

antus wrote: what file did you put on the nvram? was it the stacked file? thats the one you need to use as the nvram is 128 kbyte, and the memcal max is 64kbyte, so you need a copy in each bank else only one bank will be working (probably not the one you have selected with the map_sw jumper).
Was posting the same, you beat me to it.
Since not everyone understands the process of offsetting the flashing process to stack using the burner, you can stack two copies together using the windows command prompt /binary switch, then flash the stacked copies to the chip.

Take a copy of the 11p tune, for simplicity place it on your C:\ drive, rename it 11pa, put another copy on C:\ drive, rename it 11pb.
Open your command prompt, type the following in the command prompt window
copy /b C:\11pa.bin+C:\11pb.bin C:\11p.bin
then press the enter key.
If you're successful, you'll see the results shown in the pic I posted below.

You'll now have a stacked copy called 11p.bin that you can directly flash to the chip.
Binary_Copy.png
Binary_Copy.png (5.61 KiB) Viewed 2955 times
Alternatively, it can be done on any other drive, and change the command to refer that drive instead of C:\ drive.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

In the 11p zip from this forum there will be a stacked version for nvram already. Just burn that straight on. Also what programmer are you using?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
BennVenn
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200

Post by BennVenn »

Also something to keep in mind, if you download a tune from the NVRAM via tunerpro, it doesn't contain the actual 12p or 11p code by default - only the cal (maps/tune etc), so flashing a saved tune to an NVRAM won't run in the ECU. You'll want to burn a stacked 11p or 12p first, connect, then send over your tune.
1979project

Post by 1979project »

I have been using the 128 stacked file in the 11p download. also have tried stacking the current bin off the tuned memcal. my burner is the TL866.

I have been using this same equipment for years on multiple cars.

Antus it is the -70ind
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

To avoid that issue in the first place I use the Flashtool and use "get bin" to grab the entire bin including OS for burning later. As above, TP only gets the cal.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
1979project

Post by 1979project »

BennVenn wrote:Also something to keep in mind, if you download a tune from the NVRAM via tunerpro, it doesn't contain the actual 12p or 11p code by default - only the cal (maps/tune etc), so flashing a saved tune to an NVRAM won't run in the ECU. You'll want to burn a stacked 11p or 12p first, connect, then send over your tune.
I would normally use the flash tool or read directly off the memcal/Dallas DS1245y
1979project

Post by 1979project »

vlad01 wrote:To avoid that issue in the first place I use the Flashtool and use "get bin" to grab the entire bin including OS for burning later. As above, TP only gets the cal.
This is how I do it. If I want to change from 12p to 11p I normally burn the original downloaded file then use the flash tool from there.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Everything sounds ok then, I dont know why it would not be working. So the programmer is verifying the chip write ok? What if you take it out the programmer and put it back in and then verify again? (eg to confirm that its not powering from the programmer and loosing the contents the moment its removed). What about if you put it in the car, then take it out again and read it back? Corruption?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396