Leg-up for a newby doing a VE LS3

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
APJ
cars: LS3... in a Cobra

Leg-up for a newby doing a VE LS3

Post by APJ »

Guys, hey
New to this, but reading up fast as I can..

Building an AC Cobra with a 6.2L LS3 out of a 2010 VE GTS donor.. Nearly finished - it's driveable on permits, but want to get rid of all the warnings and such before attempting rego..
Not sure what can be programmed out.. so I'll list em, and if anyone has experience with a yes/no next to each?

I have purchased an OBDLink LX 101 unit, but PCMHammer doesn't seem to connect up to it?.. In fact PCMH ver21 seems to hang when I run it on my win10 lappy.. but if you are real quick, you can 'Select Device' dropdown and choose an option before it hangs.. (you then need to kill it in task manager' and re-try...) anyone else seeing this with PCMHammer 21 ? anyway, been through all choices now, but always get 'Unable to initialize ObdLink or AllPro on xxxxx' it's paired in BT fine.. have re-downloaded.. any thoughts there? known bug?

Can the ECU be programmed whilst still in the car/loom, or does it NEED to be removed and attached to a bench rig?

the list: remember.. most/all of these system are not present in this new custom vehicle.. eg - no airbags!, no impact sensors...
and for the most part, the original HSH loom and harness is still in place)

Disable MRC (and remove the MRC dash error)
Disable Auto braking (fault on dash)
Stability control fault
Airbag light
Disable both rear O2 sensors (giving a check engine error)
Disable seat belt error light
Disable VAT - anti theft check (occasionally kicks in? and I get 'Engine Imobilized - refer owners manual'.. but then works fine next?)

I also suffer 'hyperflashing' indicators.. tried everything to resolve.. can't fix it.. Neither can the local Auto Electrician..
Hazard flashes all 6 lamps fine.. so physically must be ok, PCM just doesn't like something and triggers it when indicating.. (all 3 - left or right side) ..If the 'fail sense' could be disabled? and just flash constant regardless.. would make my day!! (am looking at some external cctry as a bodgy plan B if required)

I also can't get HSV dash fuel gauge to work in a linear fashion.. original was a saddle tank with dual senders (both 190ohm empty - 40ohm full) tried EVERY resistance combo across the 3 harness wires (Primary, Secondary, common return) can't get a consistent linear progression.. it's just missing something? maybe program to simple 1 x sender 1 x range?...

Would also be keen on changing the ODO back to 0km, as this gauge is now in a new car, new custom chassis, new gearbox.. etc.. to be registered for it's first time, but this might be a dash cluster thing.. and definitely not a showstopper..

Any help or direction re the above would be appreciated.
thanks
AJ
Gampy

Re: Leg-up for a newby doing a VE LS3

Post by Gampy »

APJ wrote:I have purchased an OBDLink LX 101 unit, but PCMHammer doesn't seem to connect up to it?.. In fact PCMH ver21 seems to hang when I run it on my win10 lappy.. but if you are real quick, you can 'Select Device' dropdown and choose an option before it hangs.. (you then need to kill it in task manager' and re-try...) anyone else seeing this with PCMHammer 21 ? anyway, been through all choices now, but always get 'Unable to initialize ObdLink or AllPro on xxxxx' it's paired in BT fine.. have re-downloaded.. any thoughts there? known bug?

Can the ECU be programmed whilst still in the car/loom, or does it NEED to be removed and attached to a bench rig?
Hi, I can only help with the above ...

In my opinion connecting via BT is like pissing in the wind ... You may or may not get wet!

2010 VE, not sure that is a PCM Hammer supported PCM ... that is outta my realm!

Yes, the PCM can be read and or written while in vehicle providing the wiring is good and proper, although while in vehicle other modules may interfere if they fail to be silent when requested!
Make sure to do a "Test Write" first and before writing, ensure you have a good solid read for recovery purposes.

With that said, it sounds like the issue is with Serial (COM) Ports ... It sounds like PCM Hammer is attaching to a broken port, that is why it's crashing on startup!

To resolve this, open PCM Hammer with the '-r' (--resetdeviceconfig) command line option (pcmhammer.exe -r), then close PCM Hammer and reopen normally.
This resets PCM Hammers stored configuration.
FMI Ask ...

If you have unknown, damaged or unmanaged ports you can review/clean them with the following steps

For Windows versions less then 10.
Find the "Command Prompt" shortcut and Right-Click on it,
Select: Run as administrator
If required, Enter: Password
At the command prompt type (or copy paste) the following two commands,
set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
devmgmt.msc
For Windows 10 and greater ...
In the Search box type
devmgmt
and select Device Manager.
When Device Manager opens,
Select: View
Select: Show hidden devices
. . In the Device Manager Tree view,
Expand: Ports (COM & LPT)
. . On any ports you want to remove,
Select: Right Click
Select: Uninstall
. . In the Confirm Device Uninstall dialog,
Un-Check: Delete the driver software for this device
Select: Ok

The next time you plug the device in, it will re-install ...

I personally Uninstall all virtual COM ports and just allow them to reinstall in the specific order I plug the devices back in ... That way I get what I want on the ports I want them on.

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: Leg-up for a newby doing a VE LS3

Post by Tazzi »

This sounds very familiar to a conversation I had already. Although I receive calls about conversions every week.

Anyways couple things right off the bat, PCMHammer is designed for the LS1 style ECUs (P01/P59) so it will not work with the factory E38 ecu which is used in the LS3's. For safety, programming on a bench setup is highly recommended since you will be far worse off after bricking an ECU due to low voltage.

Code: Select all

Disable MRC  (and remove the MRC dash error) - Yes can be removed
Stability control fault - No cannot be removed.
Airbag light  - No cannot be removed.
Disable both rear O2 sensors (giving a check engine error) - ECU Modification (Any tuner can do this).
Disable seat belt error light - Simulate belt clipped in to resolve
Disable VAT - anti theft check - If your using the factory key head/immobiliser and ECU, then you have a wiring problem. 
hyper flash occurs since the HSV is detecting higher amperage from the lights since your likely not using the exact lights/gloves from the donor car. Requires programming to setup as standard globes.

Have you verified the senders factory resistance values are linear? They could be non linear.

Even though you may be using brand new body and chassis, the engine/transmission are not new. Odometer readings of 0 are designed for vehicles that are completely new (Down to the last nut and screw).
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726