VS PCM advertisement - what is it?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
doubledip
cars: VE SSV

VS PCM advertisement - what is it?

Post by doubledip »

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/13412770725 ... R9iR1N2yYQ

question - this ad on ebay says its for a Series 3 VS - the Memcal ID is for a Series 3 but the part number of the ECU and the visual (2 plug light blue) to me suggests VS S1/S2 and VR (autos) whats the story?... any insights?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: VS PCM advertisement - what is it?

Post by antus »

Interesting one that one. So the add states is a reprogrammed v6 memcal, and that you need to install a resistor to fake it that you have a knock sensor else it'll retard, and if you have a knock sensor it wont work because its the wrong knock filter. So thats dodgy to start with.

Next up according to https://pcmhacking.net/memcals.html CKUP is a 185kw HSV tune, one of the last ones "with full circle trans". Its also OSID $83, but the computer type is listed as ???. So I found a copy of CKUP, and verified it is a $83 from its internal identifier. I then compared to other $83 tunes in the list, eg, BWFU, BWCW etc and I notice that every VS V8 Auto since 1996, including the S3 is the '424 pcm. So I reckon its a standard '424 computer and memcal from an ecotec, with CKUP written to it unmodified, a new sticker slapped on the front, and a warning about the knock sensor in the add. I think the only VS S3 to get the VT style computers were the ecotec engines.

You could do this yourself if you had the eraser and programmer, or eeprom to install and programmer, and just update the tune to disable the knock sensor in software before you write it.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
doubledip
cars: VE SSV

Post by doubledip »

My understanding of a Series 3 engine / computer when a V8 and VS was it had full sequential and so came with the later PCM (with the 3 plugs 2 x pink and 1 x dark blue) - so ran 8 x injectors and had the MAF no map hence why the change in PCM - so was same look as the ecotec ...........do you know why you couldnt use a ecotec pcm on a v8 series 3 (change memcal though)?
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

When I read this it says approach with caution.
Combine this with one of my refurbished ignition modules to gain even more kWs!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Sorry I just edited this post heavily, if you read my first cut where I went in to much detail - the detail was true but my conclusions were not. Further the more I read the more questions I get. So i'm thinking the following. But I dont have a vs s3, so if you have VS S3 HSV pcm details and know more, please add.

It seems the VS S3 V8 did run a $A6 operating system on a VT 16234531 computer.

BUT

Some? HSV models retained the $83 OS on the '424 PCM. So it is true that this would plug in to a VS S3 HSV V8 Auto with the '424 computer. It is not true that it will plug in to a VS S3 NON-HSV Auto. For that you would get a VT 16234531 PCM (or use the existing one, which probably has CJYN or DRRP on it) and burn the DRRS bin on to it. CJYN was the original release, it was recalled but probably remains in many cars. DRRP is the fixed factory tune. DRRS is the 195kw tune. I dont know if you'd need supporting hardware mods for that. You can get DRRS here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3&hilit=DRRS . We dont seem to have DRRP so if you have it, please read it and post it up.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

Well, the white label on the PCM looks original, so I'd say what we have here is the marrying of a memcal-less '424 PCM, originally V8 CKUP, with a V6 memcal which has been reprogrammed with the CKUP firmware.

Joe.
The1

Post by The1 »

reading the first sentence in the NOTE part states it all, you only getting a V6 memcal that's reprogrammed to a V8. No ECU Included by the looks. Big rippoff at that price. So many people trying to cash in now days.
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

The1 wrote:reading the first sentence in the NOTE part states it all, you only getting a V6 memcal that's reprogrammed to a V8. No ECU Included by the looks. Big rippoff at that price. So many people trying to cash in now days.
Hmmm ... I don't think so, I think that their wording is just a bit sloppy. The ad is for a "Commodore VS SS Series 3 HSV 185kW 5.0 V8 Auto ECU Computer" and the only item picture is of a PCM, so they can't be selling just a memcal, they wouldn't be able to get away with that. They also have a 100% feedback rating, so they wouldn't be involved in such shady tricks.

Joe.