wideband wiring

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
chipb
cars: vp ss, cammed, 5speed, supercharged
ve ssv series 2 wagon, 6speed, 280rwkw
HDJ79R Landcruiser 1HD-FTE

wideband wiring

Post by chipb »

Hello All, i am about too wire in my wideband to my vp ss loom and i just want too make sure i am doing this correctly, i am wiring in a plug on the loom. 808 computer

A6 12v ignition

D8 ECU imput

D6 earth

A12 heater ground

if i tap into those wires will that work?
VTXU8

Re: wideband wiring

Post by VTXU8 »

Not sure what wideband controller you're using but generally you just tap into D8 for wideband input and source your power separately to the wideband kit or 02 sensor
e.g. 12v+ from lighter/radio fuse and ground- to ecu ground or close to ecu( same with heater gnd). Not sure if it's a good idea to tap into ecm for power. Hopefully others with more experience will chime in.
chipb
cars: vp ss, cammed, 5speed, supercharged
ve ssv series 2 wagon, 6speed, 280rwkw
HDJ79R Landcruiser 1HD-FTE

Post by chipb »

yeah ok, i have a spartan 2 wideband, i just thought of making it all nice and neat by putting a Deutsch plug on the loom for it to plug into.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I've normally wired the power supply and ground to the siggy socket and input only into the PCM. If the kit has separate grounds for the sensor and heater then the sensor can be wired to the PCM but I'd wire the heater circuit to something else.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Not sure but I think you need to be using 12P with the wideband.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I just tap the 12v from the branch in the loom where the main 12v supplies the injectors and the DFI module. I ran 2 separate 12v lines from this branch to the power and the heater for the WB for less interference.

I also ran 2 grounds, heater to the noisy ground (ECU general ground) and the WB controller ground to the clean ground ( sensor grounds from the ECU) I tapped them with separate lines close to the terminals on the block.

WB input straight to the ECU and the NB simulated to the O2 sensor plug. I normally would convert the standard o2 to the 4 wire o2 and run a ground from the o2 to the clean ground on the block. Add a ground for the heater as a separate terminal independent of everything else. Then I would add a single 1 way sealed connector just for the WB analog. This way it's wired so that you can plug the WB straight in and then when done swap out to the heated standard O2 and there is no changes needed to the wiring. Oh, and obviously I add the 4 way o2 type connector and 1 way to the WB controller so it's plug and play.

More recently I have made adapter patch looms that allow heated o2 to plug straight into the standard loom without modifying it (for keeping car's originality). It could be modified to allow a WB as a temp solution for tuning only and go straight back to heated o2. But it won't be as noise free as the modified main loom would be.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Last I checked they didn't make the model 2 and are on the model 3 now which has a box and much more I/O as a terminal block.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VTXU8

Post by VTXU8 »

I have Spartan 3 lite dual setup as Spartan 2 is no longer available. It does have extra IO on the control box. 2 being UART TX and UART RX with 9600 baud.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I preferred the 2 as it was more OEM like once you added a 4 wire o2 plug and suitable for permanent setups. The 3 needs to be kept in a dry and clean place because of the terminal block and non water proof housing.

If it's only for tuning then it's fine. I have the 2 permanently setup in one of my cars as the NB simulated output works well enough to keep the ECU happy.