PCM NVRAM not connecting

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
gasxp
cars: xp falcon

PCM NVRAM not connecting

Post by gasxp »

Hi
Purchased a pcm nvram off this site which I installed but had problems with the dash crashing tuner pro about 5 sec after pressing acquire data.
Whilst trying to sort this problem I also made some changes to the tune and hit the up arrow to upload to the bin. After this I was unable to communicate with the nvram at all.
I was told that i had most likely corroupted the nvram by using the upload button and would need to burn the bin to the nvram again.
I purchased an eprom burner, followed the guide and succesfully burned the bin back to the nvram (also verified according the guide)
Re installed the nvram and still have no comms. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me sort this problem.
At this stage I am despearte for help to resolve this problem as the car has been in my shop for two weeks with delays in getting the nvram ( thanks auspost ) buying and waiting for eprom burners and still not being able to tune this car to get back to the customer. I am willing to buy a new nvram to get this sorted.

Thanks
Ken
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: PCM NVRAM NOT CONNECTING

Post by antus »

What PCM is it, and what file did you put on the nvram? Ideally you should have stopped with the crashing, something is wrong, and the original problem is likely still there and may have gotten worse. Take the RW jumper off the nvram too, and get to reliable communications before you put the RW jumper back on to allow writes and attempt tuning. The plugin v1.x can silence the BCM chatter when you pick the right vehicle type but I know it is a source of problems for some people. If you have trouble with that, unplugging the BCM is a hardware work around. You havnt told us what car, so this is general advice because you said "PCM".
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
gasxp

Post by gasxp »

Hi Antus

Car is a merc track car with vs l67 engine and 16210672 ecu. RW jumper is off. Used the1 enhanced code for vs v6 l67 as indicated in the communication sent with the nvram. No bcm fitted to the car.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

no bcm rules out bus collisions and the enhanced bin it straight forward and is the right size from the nvram so dont need to worry about stacked or not stacked. probably look at your wiring, and potential sources of interfearance, ignition/spark etc.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
gasxp

Post by gasxp »

Should i be able to see live data on a scan tool with nvram. Currently have mace engineering memcal in with live data.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

I would expect so but Im not familiar with the tool. Are you sure you installed the right enhanced code for the pcm? I think first of all need to verify you have the right file and its written correctly. Then you need to get it logging with the RW jumper off and the ignition on but the engine not running.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

I dont know my VS's but according to the version list at https://pcmhacking.net/memcals.html it was:

Code: Select all

BTBP3243	$51	3.8L S/C Auto	16210672 / 16210480	For 97 Trans, needs S/C specific '0672' PCM or 16210480.
So I dont know what this S/C specific '0672' is, and the 16210480 was only used on S/C models. There might be a problem with enhanced VS SC without this S/C specific version of the PCM. If your running a standard PCM and attempting to run with S/C enhanced you might need to run the normal VS Auto enhanced instead. I dont have any more information about that. If you cant get the information try both.
gasxp

Post by gasxp »

When I purchased the nvram I gave Gareth the code off the ecu and told him that as far as i know it was a factory supercharged setup. He sent me back a link to the1 enahnced code so i
presumed he used the vs s/c file. I have tried to contact him regarding my issues but so far have no responses.
When i first got the nvram, tunerpro would immediately detect the hardware. After my fuck up i cannot get tunerpro to even recognise that anything is there.
I have burned the presumed file to it and verified it according to guide.
At this point i need to get the car tuned and i realise it was my mistake and will happily buy another nvram.
Should tunerpro still detect that a nvram module is present even if the bin file is correct.
At the moment I am using the same bin file that i initially loaded in tunerpro ( and was detected ) which i burned to the nvram.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

You need to get the right bin file, complete with operating system, and write it to the nvram in your programmer. The page is linked in the FAQ, and you should have a look there for some useful reading (green link up top right). I'll page the link to the1s enhanced here as well (its in the faq too). viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2518

The file will be probably VS_V6_SC_$51_Enhanced_v1.0e.zip or maybe VS_V6_$51_Enhanced_v1.4e.zip depending on what "needs S/C specific '0672' PCM or 16210480" means, and if you have on your your car. It sounds to me like there might be two different ones with the same service number, though logically if they have the same service number they should not be different. Maybe it just means you need the right memcal and so in this case the S/C version of enhanced.

Its possible you loaded the wrong file in to it with tunerpro and thats what killed it, so go back to the source and write the bin from the original enhanced zip in a programmer. One of them or both of them should be enough to get it connecting if the wiring is good. If you can use the S/C one, do.
gasxp

Post by gasxp »

I believe I got the right bin file VS_V6_SC_$51_Enhanced_v1.0e.zip. I wrote (burned) it to the nvram using the guide to memcal burning in the FAQ section. I also verified it according the guide.
This file package is what I used to initially communicate with the nvram. I have PM messages into Gareth but so far no responses ( over several days ). It would make it really easy to resolve if I knew the exact file used.
I will try the other file package today and see what happens.
One question i have is if I open tunerpro whilst connected to the nvram module but no bin,xdf or adx file loaded will tunerpro still detect that a nvram is present. At the moment tunerpro keeps saying no hardware connected.