How to convert OBD2 cable to ALDL

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
SoullessShadow
cars: Ba Futura Wagon - Been turboed since 2009
3 x Celica GT4s 1 is a Group A
ST141 Corona - 3sgte swap is planned
EP71 Toyota Starlet Turbo S
A few e36 BMW's

Re: How to convert OBD2 cable to ALDL

Post by SoullessShadow »

Thats exactly what i ended up doing going from R1 and R8 as easy parts of the board to access about to test it out on a VY PCM i have here
SoullessShadow
A few e36 BMW's

Post by SoullessShadow »

Okay so I've checked thru as much as I can. Was using only C/D connector on my bench harness (now have all the grounds from the other plugs aswell) but cant get it to connect.

This particular cable i cant remember if it used to work or not before but how likely is the ftdi chip been no good?
Triple checked all my connections but anyway here is the detailed info from the Flash Tool.
ConnectAttempt.rtf
(4.09 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Anything is possible with this price range of equipment. If it works for you, good. If it doesn't ive seen plenty of people tearing their hair out and trying anything just unable to get it to work who eventually give up. There was clone FTDIs some years back, if you've had it that long it could be one of those and modern drivers brick the clone chips.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
SoullessShadow
A few e36 BMW's

Post by SoullessShadow »

Yeah I was just trying to use what I had laying around. Im already bald so dont have to worry aout my hair so much. Ill try and find another cable I thought I had a ALDL somewhere...and have another go at it another day.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

I hate to bring this up.
It seems simple binary transfers have been corrupted somehow. I am still looking into it. If you are not using intel hex or Mot S for verification, it appears the later windows and even ubunta have a bug that will corrupt a bit depending on the cable. Verify by a read after transfer.
Again, hate to bring it up, it's very disturbing. I have seen it on 3 different vehicles, cables, boats in the last week. Not one on my personal actual cable nor lappy that doesn't see the interweb. The others, YES!!!!!!
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

I'm not convinced it is not an 8192 problem with a cable I borrowed since I forgot mine. Hopefully this is a false negative. It just seems weird since he supposedly never had a problem.
SoullessShadow
A few e36 BMW's

Post by SoullessShadow »

Will the cable I use for bmw stuff that I haven't used in ages or on this laptop. Says it's all working and drivers installed etc. Got my old bench loom out and can't connect to that now either and that setup was solid did many a dme back in the day. Only thing I've noticed is in properties > events in the information it now has \0000 requires further installation...? Could that be related to what you are talking about?
SoullessShadow
A few e36 BMW's

Post by SoullessShadow »

20230531_194817.jpg
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah that could be a clone chip and drivers are detecting it and wont work with it. Its not a windows problem, I assure you that, unless you count WQHL drivers with clone detection in them. Its a hardware problem. You can google the subject and find random third party sites with old pre-clone detecting drivers and try that, but the risk is that it could have malware and do nasty things on / to your pc or your network.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
SoullessShadow
A few e36 BMW's

Post by SoullessShadow »

Yeah that's kinda where I ended up. I found all the drivers that used to work on my old laptop and even with those which some are from 2008 it still doesn't work. So I'll go with all old cables I have are junk now. Only thing I haven't tried is running it all on a win7 VM which I have for Ford ids and some other things. But doubt that would help either.