Need to make changes to a Gen5 Camaro BCM

American Delco GM ECUs and PCMs, ALDL, OBD 1.5.
pcguy
cars: 70 Chevelle modded with a 2014 Camaro SS donor

Need to make changes to a Gen5 Camaro BCM

Post by pcguy »

Have read all the posts in this sub-forum to no avail. Just need to make sure that I didn't miss something. It's really inconvenient that the BCM doesn't like my new window motors in my Chevelle project - link below...

TIA, Nick
gmtech825

Re: Need to make changes to a Gen5 Camaro BCM

Post by gmtech825 »

not really willing to read that whole thread but if you post some details of what you need to do maybe I can offer a direction or insight.
pcguy

Post by pcguy »

Here's a link to the Chevelles.com thread specifically about this issue:
https://www.chevelles.com/threads/bcm-c ... d.1156804/

Tried to get the local Chevy dealer to agree to do a window motor relearn, but heard nothing???

Many thanks,
Nick
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I had read of the thread, disclaimer i'm not familiar with the car, or window hardware, or the relearn procedure you are talking about but I can give you some general advice. The MDI2 mentioned in the third thread is expensive OEM. You can get the same aftermarket for 10% or less of that price and the MDI is fine too. You can also use a different J2534 device, eg the vcx-nano gm. You can buy access to GDS2 for a couple of days for your vin via https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions . You said you changed the wiper engine type to a different style, electrically. This might be a show stopper, these things tend to be tied closely to factory hardware spec. The aftermarket module the other guys are talking sounds more likely to get you a working solution easily. Tech2 is for older cars up to about 2009, GDS2 is for newer models, so MDI/MDI2/J2534 interface plus GDS2 would be the hardware and software. J2534 interfaces are not created equal, so you need to get one with reports of it working with GM tools and vehicles. MDI and MDI2 are GM branded factory Bosch J2534 tools. Having said all that, at the end of the day I cant confirm if there is a wiper relearn in GDS2, and if there is that your hardware is compatible with the new wiper motors.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
gmtech825

Post by gmtech825 »

this is a BCM from a 2014 camaro is that right?

so these window motors are basically little slave modules. the BCM is the master module and communicates with all the window motor slave modules and switches over the LIN bus. are you using the motors and switches from 2014 as well?
pcguy

Post by pcguy »

gmtech825 wrote:this is a BCM from a 2014 camaro is that right?

so these window motors are basically little slave modules. the BCM is the master module and communicates with all the window motor slave modules and switches over the LIN bus. are you using the motors and switches from 2014 as well?
antus wrote:I had read of the thread, disclaimer i'm not familiar with the car, or window hardware, or the relearn procedure you are talking about but I can give you some general advice. The MDI2 mentioned in the third thread is expensive OEM. You can get the same aftermarket for 10% or less of that price and the MDI is fine too. You can also use a different J2534 device, eg the vcx-nano gm. You can buy access to GDS2 for a couple of days for your vin via https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions . You said you changed the wiper engine type to a different style, electrically. This might be a show stopper, these things tend to be tied closely to factory hardware spec. The aftermarket module the other guys are talking sounds more likely to get you a working solution easily. Tech2 is for older cars up to about 2009, GDS2 is for newer models, so MDI/MDI2/J2534 interface plus GDS2 would be the hardware and software. J2534 interfaces are not created equal, so you need to get one with reports of it working with GM tools and vehicles. MDI and MDI2 are GM branded factory Bosch J2534 tools. Having said all that, at the end of the day I cant confirm if there is a wiper relearn in GDS2, and if there is that your hardware is compatible with the new wiper motors.
Thanks for the info and questions; I'll incorporate the above into my final decision. The BCM is from the 2014 Camaro. I have an alternative to using the OEM 2014 motors/controllers, more on that in a minute. But right now, what I have is new classic regulators with wire wound motors with the now removed OEM motors being step motors. I have cut the controllers away from the OEM step motors and rewired the controller outputs to the new wire wound motors. The specific answer to the question about the motors and switches is that the switches and the controller (bus interface) part of the motors are incorporated, but the motors are new and different and that difference is apparently the cause of the issue. I have posted a pic of service manual that applies below.

The BCM reacts oddly by moving the windows erratically; sometime up and sometimes down. I do not have the codes because most cheap scanners don't read the BCM and I have not come to a conclusion as to how to proceed so I am waiting before I buy a new scanner/programmer.

My known alternative is to install the same kinds of switches that are installed for the rear windows, but that requires modifying the door panels which I have over 500 hours in producing and it's not a minor change, but can be done. In addition, the wiring to the doors (both sides) would need to be redone and the neat/clean install of factory wiring (boot) to the doors would end up with external wiring.
Attachments
BCM-WindowMotorCodes.jpg
BCM-WindowMotorCodes.jpg (111.18 KiB) Viewed 5633 times
pcguy

Post by pcguy »

There is also a concern that while the rewiring would make the windows work properly, the BCM may still not like the results.

Thanks again, Nick
gmtech825

Post by gmtech825 »

might be a better option to wire the motors without the BCM involved. the BCM will set LIN bus codes but I don't think it will care otherwise...
pcguy

Post by pcguy »

gmtech825 wrote:might be a better option to wire the motors without the BCM involved. the BCM will set LIN bus codes but I don't think it will care otherwise...
After checking this issue out from every angle, including wiring the OEM motors in parallel with the new motor, I'm biting the bullet and installing the aftermarket switches. The good news is the B+ source for the window is standing hot at all times (un-keyed) in both doors and after removing the OEM controllers and switches, the remote alarm locking and manual doors locks still function, but I haven't determined if the alarm itself still works. I mention this bc as I recall, the alarm circuit goes though the window switches.
:think:
Scragon
cars: 1994 6 Liter Jag XJS
2002 6 liter Chevy 2500
1987 6 liter Chevy S-10
2002 8.1 Liter Chevy 2500 4x4
1924 Ford 'T'

Post by Scragon »

Stepper motor controllers energize different poles of the stepper motor to initiate and maintain rotation, they will not operate a standard wound motor with brushes. I believe there are converters from stepper motor controller output to brush type motors.