complete newfag L29 vortech 7.4ltr delco swap?

American Delco GM ECUs and PCMs, ALDL, OBD 1.5.
ari666

complete newfag L29 vortech 7.4ltr delco swap?

Post by ari666 »

nothing bugs me more on other forums than users who dont do searches first, and i have tried and had a read on this site as much as i can understand, but i need more direct answers so i am starting a new thread. i apologise in advance for the dumbarse q's and subjects that have possibly been raised before.

i have purchased an L29 vortech 7400 for my 1966 impala and before i put it in i need to make some alterations to both the engine and the fueling system. i have read that there are a few main faults with these engines

1. poor injectors. 19lbs per hour and prone to dripping ad often needing a rebuild.
2. factory set rev limiter at 4500RPM
3. a "ski-jump" in the heads to 'improve' swirl, weak as piss valve springs and a really baby cam.

i plan on changing all those things but will need to mess with the efi settings to get it to work properley. i have been shown this site by delcowizid via another forum and am blown away by how far you guys have dug into these delcos and the great results you are getting, so am seriousy considering a swap to an 808.

now, i have not received the engine as yet due to some courier stuff ups, but the current ECM part number is one of these three:

and i believe it is made by delphi but am willing to be corrected. i have been able to find ZERO info on the net on how to reprogram these ecm's and short of paying the 700USD for efi live (which doesnt support this year of engine) its looking like an 808 swap might be the best idea.

is that the case?

if so:
  • can i use a V6 808 from a VN and reprogram to be an 8 (the v8 ecu's are about 300 bucks on ebay, but there are 16,000,000 v6 at the wrecker)
    where would i find a basic tune for a 7.4ltr? to get her running so i can tweak on the fly.
    it currently has a MAF, but delcowizid advises to ditch that and go MAP. yea or neigh?
    would i need to use a camira ignition module, locked dizzy and 6AL, or is there some way i can use the existing dizzy and crank sensor?
    my curent transmission is a 2 speed powerglide which i will use for the moment while i hunt for a suitable replacement with 0.7:1 final. BUT the PG doesnt have a speed output sensor, what are my options here?
i am great at wiring, soldeing etc. import cars for a living. i can easily do the swap, but just need to advise to kick my arse in the right direction.

oh im also trying to do this on the cheap ;)

thanks heaps for the great site and excellent info.
i cant even
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: complete newfag L29 vortech 7.4ltr delco swap?

Post by VL400 »

First off welcome to the forums, sounds like a pretty fun project too :D

I dont have any info on the standard ECU it is running so cant offer much help there. For minor mods it *may* be easier to leave the standard PCM if you can access a few tables - if its a memcal based PCM it prob wont be too hard to find a few tables, and there is a good chance someone may have already done this once you fond out the code type (or mask or BCC, will be a sticker on the PCM telling you).

For your other questions...
1) Yeah you can mod a V6 memcal to be a V8, the ECU is identical - https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopi ... lit=netres
2) Prob need to search the US forums using the code mask. There will be a sticker on the PCM, there wont be a 12P tune nor any holden ones here for a 7.4L.
3) Both have good and bad points, MAP is probably easier to understand as most on here are used to it but MAF can be quicker to tune as it just measures airflow.
4) Depends on what ignition setup it has now. Dizzy I assume? Camira if its a reluctor dizzy or Holden V8 if hall effect.
5) A speed sensor is good to have but you can tune without one, just makes it a little hard to get the idle right when pulling up to stop.
Six_Shooter
cars: 2005 Dodge Dakota - For Sale
2000 GMC Yukon - The Daily driver
1985 GMC Jimmy S-15 - Under reconstruction
1973 Datsun 240Z - Toy, uses GM EFI.

Post by Six_Shooter »

Those are all OBD2 flash PCMs.

Unless you need to retain the OBD2 system to be emissions compliant, I would look at using a different ECM. For me it would be one more documented, to make tuning easier.

I'm not a fan of MAF systems personally, I find them harder to tune than SD based, and I don't like the restriction in the intake system of the MAF. On a cost side, the actual MAF is generally quite expensive and, and for me is another reason to prefer the SD systems.

Depending on what ECM you end up with, will determine if you can find an existing stock calibration for the engine. For myself, since I'm in Canada, I can use a 16197427 PCM, and find a 7.4L bin to start from, but I'm not very familiar with what is available in Australia, so I can't give specifics.
If you can't find something for the ECM you are going to use, you can at least compare a starting bin for that ECM to what is available for other ECM/PCM and use that to make a base to tune to start from. Also keep in mind that sometimes, this may be over thinking it, and just starting with a bin that is close, as in the right number of cylinders and similar applications can really get you close enough to start the engine and even drive it, to do the tuning after that.

VSS can be done in a few ways. You can use a VSS that attaches to the speedo cable output, between the tranny and the speedo. Painless Performance sells a couple VSS that do this and give you different PPM (Pulse Per Mile) outputs. There are also other companies that sell similar products. Even some GM and Jeep applications used similar parts, but I don't know how available something like that would be in Australia.
Another option is to use an optical VSS, that attaches to the back of the speedo and uses the mechanism to reflect some (non visible) light back to itself. This requires the speedo to have a mechanism that has two fingers that are attached to the cable input of the speedo. This is how I did the conversion in my Datsun, 240Z. I did have to swap to a later speedo (280Z) to get the proper fingers for the optical sensor to work.
I feel VSS is very important, since it does more than just idle corrections, though that's where it is usually noticed most.
2005 Dodge Dakota - The daily
1985 GMC Jimmy - A work in progress
1973 Datsun 240Z - The Toy, turbocharged and injected using GM EFI, and code59

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Can you recommend a base tune for similar engine that does have an xdf, six_shooter? If you can then it'll make it'll provide stock tables than can be cut n pasted in to $12p to make things easier.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

I'll see what I can find.

ari666

Post by ari666 »

thanks heaps guys! im still reading up on the actual coding side of things. its a pretty steep learning curve :S also have not recieved the engine yet. hopefully tomorrow.

was just wondering of it would be possible to run a couple of hours of data logging on the current PCM, then somehow use those logs as a means to alter a 12p tune? even though itll be a different PCM completely, would it at least use the same/similar code? i can probably log via efi-live but it wont allow tune changes with this model PCM.

or am i WAY off the mark?
i cant even
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah, logs from a different pcm won't help. If you can read the tune and see what's in it and cut and paste from it that will be advantageous. You'll really need to get the best base tune you can for the 808, then log that in the car, then make corrections.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

According to the info I have there are a LOT of 7.4L bins, for both auto and manual.

ECMs include 1227747, that would be $42 mask, 16147060, a $D8 mask, and 16196395, that uses an $0E mask.

I'll see if I can find an actual bin to post, or at least some BCCs that are available.
Last edited by Six_Shooter on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Ok, on moates.net, under the file manager, there are some 7.4L files in the Stock Binaries>DIY-EFI GMECM Binaries>

1227747> L19

ANTZ 1987(man)
AZFT 1987 (auto)

L19 is RPO for 7.4L

1227747 42 also has some 7.4L BINs

AWWH 1991(auto) (code mask $85)
BANF 1991(auto) (code mask $D8)

Those are the easiest ones to find, I'm sure there are more in the file manager as well, but those should do what you need.

I also tried looking through my collection of PCMs, to see if I had a newer BIN, but I don't, just 5.7L and 4.3L, in the type of ECM that would have been in a similar application.

I'll take a look through my collection of MEMCALs and see if I can locate something newer in there.

ari666

Post by ari666 »

very much appreciated. the engine STILL hasnt arrived. i am assured it will be tomorrow AM, so i will post up the PCM part number as soon as i can
i cant even