Tune Chevy Camaro with Aussie $12P, NVRAM, & Comms

American Delco GM ECUs and PCMs, ALDL, OBD 1.5.
redcamaro

Tune Chevy Camaro with Aussie $12P, NVRAM, & Comms

Post by redcamaro »

I'm a newbie, and this is my first post on delcohacking. Yay! :punk:

I'm having a bit of trouble getting started... and finding the right information, so it was suggested I start a thread so everyone can benefit

I have recently rebuilt an 87 Camaro 305 TPI 700R4 2.73:1 mild/medium cam... the stock ECU is 1227165 with MAF and an ABUT PROM ($32B code).

It was a given that the stock tune (ECU) would need to be modified. The stock setup will not run unless timing is advanced by 12˚ the stock advance should be 6˚. It runs okay with the stock Memcal, but it's not optimal. I know it can be a lot better...

Originally, I intended to swap out the MAF for a MAP and acquired a 1227730 ECU, and a 1 bar MAP sensor. During the process I heard about the NVRAM board (from VL400) that you're using on the Holden 808, so for now I'm staying with the 165.

The NVRAM is properly installed (with the write wire). The DS1245 has $12P code (BCLF) on it. The stacked bin was easiest to use for starters.

MAP sensor installed using +5V "C" (C14) reference and GND "A" (A11) from the TPS, and MAP signal from "B" goes to C11. The MAF sensor wiring is still in place for the moment.

The 165 has an external knock sensor (ESC), and the stock signal wire goes to B7, and $12P has the knock sensor on B11. Can't run off the stock Memcal and 12P at the same time so a jumper wire is added between pins B7 and B11 (easy to revert to the stock setup, at least until the upgrade is completed).

:wall: PROBLEM: I'm not sure, but it seems that the BCLF tune is too far out to get the (modified Chevy) engine running. It starts momentarily without any (Netres), just $12P BCLF and the NVRAM board. It coughs and splutters, and it will not idle. I've tried changing the timing advance of the distributor.

Any suggestions,.. is there a better tune to get started than the BCLF, or has anyone done something similar with any success?
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Re: Tune Chevy Camaro with Aussie $12P, NVRAM, & Comms

Post by yoda69 »

Have you changed the spark reference angle?
BLCF will be set at 60 as Holden used a hall type on v8's and not reluctor. Try changing to 10 degrees if your is a reluctor type distributor.

Yoda69
redcamaro

Post by redcamaro »

yoda69 wrote:... Try changing to 10 degrees if your is a reluctor type distributor.
Thank you very much Yoda69, it's running and I have something that I can work with now. :D

Gone to log some data in $12P. Yippee!!!

The Camaro runs pretty good on the VR Manual .bin Just be sure to CHANGE THE REFERENCE ANGLE.

EDIT: The MAF sensor is gone and I can start removing the support circuits i.e. Burn-Off Relay, and Hot Wire MAS Module. Have a wideband O2 sensor with an LC-1 controller to go in next...

LOGGING DATA: I had logging to TunerPro when the ECU was running off the stock Memcal, but since the NVRAM and $12P was installed I can't log through the ALDL.

Can't get TunerPro to connect. Is it something to do with the Mode Messages? Is there a list of all the mode messages, what they do, and how to communicate with the ECU by using them?

ANSWER: Look at the ALDL Basics here, https://pcmhacking.net/forums/view ... f=10&t=219
redcamaro

Post by redcamaro »

How can I check/update the injector flow rate in $12P with Tunerpro?

The Camaro 305 (LB9) injectors are 19 lbs/hr (at 36 PSI), my fuel pressure regulator is set at about 43.5 PSI...

The stock 305 Bore & Stroke is 3.736 × 3.48 in (95.656 × 88.392 mm). My pistons are 0.030" oversize, so my engine displacement 310 (CID), or 5.1 (Litres), or 5081.9 (CC)

I believe the stock VR V8 injectors are 20 lbs/hr, I don't know what pressure the fuel system is at on a VR.

The ADX has an A/F Param in Map A and Map B both showing a value of 0.15 gram / sec
The formula for that variable in the ADX is: Injector Constant = [L Per Cyl Disp / (Grams Per Sec * Number Of Inj Pulse Per Cycle)] * 1078

If I apply the formula to 8 Cylinders with 20 lbs/hr injectors I can't get the 0.15 value as a result ...

Where am I going wrong, am I looking at the wrong variables?

What is the difference between Map A and Map B?
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Bottom of the getting started guide has a kinjflow calculator .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=655 and to calc the rate with the higher pressure .. http://www.csgnetwork.com/fiflowcalc.html

There is a fudge factor so will not always be as calc'd, its really just about having the VE table not exceed 100% so may need to adjust the inj flow if you start maxing it.

Basics of tuning with 12P .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopi ... =28&t=1089

And map a and map b are switched by grounding pin B9, gives you sort of two tunes in one ie premium or regular fuel, methanol or petrol etc
redcamaro

Post by redcamaro »

VL400 wrote:...
And map a and map b are switched by grounding pin B9, gives you sort of two tunes in one ie premium or regular fuel, methanol or petrol etc
Cool! :thumbup: I was going to do that with the Prog_SW jumper. I put a toggle on the ECU case to turn the jumper on/off. So there are effectively 4 tunes.

Now if I could get my timing light working again I can also check the Spark Reference Angle. Stock on the 305 is 6˚, I have 10˚ set in $12P so I'm guessing that the engine should be set to whatever the reference angle is set to in the software (i.e. 10˚) - is that right?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

It sounds like your in the ballpark, but what I would do is clear the flag "Map A: set=RPM derivative spark control option" so that the ecu does not use spark timeing to give a smoother idle. This should mean that spark is pretty constant at idle, then you can eyeball the data as you log the pcm, and check with the timing light if your a couple of degrees out and which way. Realtime adjust the reference angle in small steps untill the timing light and the logged spark timing is dead on. Thats your reference angle. Then turn "Map A: set=RPM derivative spark control option" back on when your done. Also note that the tune can not always accept exactly the referenace angle value you give it. Eg if you enter 10 and save it, you get 9.84 which is the closest value it can use. This is normal, and nothing to worry about.

update: or ground the diagnostic request line and you should get a static 10 degrees, and you can set the ref angle from there.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
redcamaro

Post by redcamaro »

I'm running the VR bin (BCLF).
I grounded D11, and connected Tunerpro v5.
Then I disconnected pin D5, which is the EST Bypass.

I put the (new) timing light on while watching the Spark Advance output on TP... The closest I could get of them being both about the same was 23.5˚ (on the TP dashboard, and on the crankshaft marker).
I set Spark Reference Angle to 23.5, connected D5 and went for a drive.

It seems close but not quite there, it ran like crap actually.

Then I switched to an earlier bin with Spark Advance set at 10˚ while the flywheel setting was still 23.5˚, it ran a bit better but still crap.
The stock crank setting is 6˚, but the motor is worked and a street cam dialled in at the machine shop. It no longer ran on the stock Memcal at 6˚ on the crank after the engine rebuild, it had to be around 10˚ at the crank.

:wall: I must be doing something wrong?
redcamaro

Post by redcamaro »

What data am I 'eyeballing' here - the Spark Advance Variable, or something else, or a combination of variables :?:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

you need to put the ECM in diagnostic mode which should lock the timing at 10 degrees, then with it running like that use a timing light to make sure the timing is at the on the balancer/dissy.