Tune Chevy Camaro with Aussie $12P, NVRAM, & Comms

American Delco GM ECUs and PCMs, ALDL, OBD 1.5.
redcamaro

Re: Tune Chevy Camaro with Aussie $12P, NVRAM, & Comms

Post by redcamaro »

yoda69 wrote:... it is either a Hardware problem or Software configuration problem at your end. ...
Cool! TunerPro was crashing - plugin, wiring and configuration shouldn't make software (TP) crash.
Last edited by redcamaro on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

redcamaro wrote: TunerPro was crashing - plugin, wiring and configuration shouldn't make software (TP) crash.
Thats theoretically true, and your welcome to try and make a plugin that never hands invalid data back to tunerpro when there is corrupt data coming in. Bear in mind that you have nothing 100% to sync on for the frame start (other than the packet length which will always be > than 0x55 - and that is checked - and the checksum being an 8 bit sum, and so having a 1 in 256 chance of being correct even though the frame is corrupted). You'd be suprised (or maybe you wouldnt.. now..) how often invalid data can still get through when you have communication problems. Tunerpro is decent but its not bullet proof from invalid data being handed to it from plugins. You'll find that if you sort out your problems external to tunerpro then it will work for you.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
redcamaro

Post by redcamaro »

antus wrote:Thats theoretically true, and your welcome to try and make a plugin that never hands invalid data back to tunerpro when there is corrupt data coming in.
I'm not here to reinvent a wheel that is already part of the way done, I'm trying to tune a vehicle. I don't particularly care if the software is dodgy, and only works under certain conditions as long as there is consistent support to get it "set up correctly" (on a US ECU i.e. 1227165, and had hoped to later to get it working on 1227730). However, it appears that support for anything other than 1227808 is limited and quickly wanes.
antus wrote:Bear in mind that you have nothing 100% to sync on for the frame start (other than the packet length which will always be > than 0x55 - and that is checked - and the checksum being an 8 bit sum, and so having a 1 in 256 chance of being correct even though the frame is corrupted). You'd be suprised (or maybe you wouldnt.. now..) how often invalid data can still get through when you have communication problems.
Herein lies the issue!
antus wrote:Tunerpro is decent but its not bullet proof from invalid data being handed to it from plugins. You'll find that if you sort out your problems external to tunerpro then it will work for you.
I'll get it set up correctly by replacing my damaged 7165 ECU with an 808, or I could go for something more professional like EBL http://www.dynamicefi.com/ and put it on the 1227730 :driving:
Last edited by redcamaro on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

redcamaro wrote:I'm not here to reinvent a wheel that is already part of the way done, I'm trying to tune a vehicle. I don't particularly care if the software is dodgy, and only works under certain conditions as long as there is consistent support to get it "set up correctly" (on a US ECU i.e. 1227165, and had hoped to later to get it working on 1227730). However, it appears that support for anything other than 1227808 is limited and quickly wanes.
You were trying to get 12P on a 165 using a DIY setup, the 165 is nothing unusual and plenty are using it in the US without a problem. It is really no different to using a VR manual ECU with an NVRAM. You can buy ready to install NVRAM and comms interfaces that are known to work out of the box - all are pre tested and loaded with 12P. However, you chose to supply your own DS1245Y and chose to build your own ALDL interface. This is good, DIY is what we promote and really like to see on this website! But when trying to roll your own parts you need to expect that it wont always work first go. What we take personally is saying there is no support after a 7 page thread with step by step setup guides.... :?: Please, let us know what support is lacking?
redcamaro wrote: or I could go for something more professional like EBL http://www.dynamicefi.com/ and put it on the 1227730 :driving:
Maybe this is the better option, a known to work and tested package? Although you could also do the same with 12P and the 165 with the parts I sell. I can even install it all for you - then you just plug it in and go.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

redcamaro wrote:
antus wrote:Thats theoretically true, and your welcome to try and make a plugin that never hands invalid data back to tunerpro when there is corrupt data coming in.
I'm not here to reinvent a wheel that is already part of the way done, I'm trying to tune a vehicle. I don't particularly care if the software is dodgy, and only works under certain conditions as long as there is consistent support to get it "set up correctly" (on a US ECU i.e. 1227165, and had hoped to later to get it working on 1227730). However, it appears that support for anything other than 1227808 is limited and quickly wanes.
The software works. The hardware you have supplied must be faulty. We have supplied enough information to set it up correctly - and provided you support at our own cost. If you are unable to trouble shoot your own setup with the help we have provided I suggest you take the car to a professional tuner.

Thread locked.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396