97 LT1 ??

American Delco GM ECUs and PCMs, ALDL, OBD 1.5.
Harold Bawlcz
cars: 97 SS Camaro, 2000 SS Camaro, 2008 TBSS, 2008 Solstice GXP, 1967 Camaro, 1966 427 Corvette

97 LT1 ??

Post by Harold Bawlcz »

Hello
My name is Harry. I came here looking for information that will help me tune my 97 camaro LT1 with M6. I read a lot of posts and notice how extremely talented many of you guys are. Im highly impressed and hope you wont mind helping such a novice.
I have no experience with ECU or PCMs but I do have 25 years experience building carbureted/mechanically fuel injected competition engines. I am a machinist/Engine builder and have dyno tuned countless carbureted and mechanically fuel injected engines but dont know anything about ecu/pcm tuning. I understand what an engine wants and why it needs it, I just havent any experience controlling it with a computer.

Im tired of sending computers out to be tuned or hiring people to tune them, So I have a 97 LT1 Camaro with 6 speed manual that i just built a new motor for and decided its time to learn how to it tune myself.

I would greatly appreciate any and all help you guys can provide.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: 97 LT1 ??

Post by antus »

Hi, and welcome to the forums! Im sure there are many here who are interested and will help how they can. However, most of us are Australian and we did not get the LT1 here, so you might also like to try gearhead-efi.com as those guys probably have more experience with that engine. Good luck in your travels!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
roughneck427
cars: 2002 Camaro
2008 Pontiac G8

Post by roughneck427 »

Jet DST or Tunercat OBD2 or LT1 edit are only ones that can do an OBD2 LT1 ecm. Cheaper routh is do a OBD1 swap buy a cable for $80 use tunerpro or tunercat OBD1 and winflash. Where you located???
Harold Bawlcz
cars: 97 SS Camaro, 2000 SS Camaro, 2008 TBSS, 2008 Solstice GXP, 1967 Camaro, 1966 427 Corvette

Post by Harold Bawlcz »

Thanks for your replys, I truly appreciate your willingness to help me. First i want to apologize for my delay in responding,
I screwed up my back and was out of commission for a while. Im finally feeling better and able to think about something other then pain and wondering what to do with this car.
Im in Chicago IL, While i was down with back injury my wife was driving the camaro and thought the low coolant light was windshield washer fluid level and ended up overheating it. Im sure the heads are warped now and the tuning issue so i am thinking about putting an ls1 motor in it. I have a 5.7 ls1 out of a 2000 camaro with the engine harness and the ecu. If i do this what options would i have for tuning it?
mattyc

Post by mattyc »

Drop an ls1 in, there's plenty of tuning options, hptuners or efilive are both easy to use