1227165 MAF to 1227808 Spd Density questions

American Delco GM ECUs and PCMs, ALDL, OBD 1.5.
DixiePicker

1227165 MAF to 1227808 Spd Density questions

Post by DixiePicker »

Some back ground on this first.
I use a 165 $6E ECM for my 454 Crew Cab Dually. Why MAF? Mostly the Knock Sensor and Knock Module for the 454 engine. The 1965-1990 Big Block Chevy (BBC) is classified as a Mark 4 block and the only use of the knock sensor is in a Wet hole and used an external knock module. The 91 forward BBC is a Mark 5. The knock sensor is a dry hole and the module is up-integrated into the MEM-CAL. The two BBC have different knock characteristics. Other additional reasons are VATS or Anti theft, AIR pump which I use to trigger my O2 heater using the ground AIR Pump wire to grd the O2 htr and a charcoal canister PWM clean cycle. Twin tanks produce fumes and walking by the tanks, a strong odor was present in the summer. No other GM ECM supports 8 injectors without modifications. I don't care to modify electronic parts that have a failure rate as these ECM's do. (If they do fail, I don't like leaving my truck and trailer with drag race car at the side of the road. I prefer to plug in my spare and go).

I see many use a modified 808 ($12P?)code and run hi RPM and Turbos. This is really nice and I see your use. Is there a dis-assembled 808 V-8 code that would have calibrations for my use? I have searched this site but see no complete XDF of calibrations. I do not see what the 808 ECM used as a $5D or $5B or ? XDF.
I also am missing what the VF or VX or NX or these V or X vehicle codes are/mean. Is there a spread sheet of the Aussie vehicles to what they mean to a USA gearhead? I did some work with Holden while I was at my job and really enjoy the people and attitudes. Fast cars passed off as a Family sedan!!! Cool in my book.
The old 77 truck has a 4L80-E and uses a GM TCM with Tuner Pro and an APU1. Not interested in converting to PCM. Again the Knock system. I also use an Air Fuel Ratio meter. Engine is Az Spd and Marine Intake, big cam, flowed iron heads, SS exhaust manifolds. The Az Spd and Marine intake is actually from GM Marine.

Any help converting to a MAP to shed my MAF that runs out of air at 4500 RPM would really help. I would like to retain my external Knock Module, AIR pump to trigger the O2 heater cold, and my charcoal canister. VATS would be a plus. I use the Moates APU1 and Tuner Pro with the ALDL to collect data. Live cals don't have any interest. I have the compression pretty high for what the use is and the fuel around here is really poor. I was in calibrations @ GM for a living and now retired.

Thanks for your time and your advise in advance.
Jayme

Re: 1227165 MAF to 1227808 Spd Density questions

Post by Jayme »

Hi,
the 165 is almost identical to an 808. only the high speed comms chip is present in a 165 and not an 808 (808 is 160 baud). you can run our Aussie based 12P code on the 165 ecu with wiring changes to install a MAP sensor (and hopefully nothing else but you can compare the ecu pinouts) you can plug a 165 into a holden commodore 808 loom and it will run fine, except you can then run later model code with 8192 baud aldl.

those V* codes you are asking about are probably our model codes for the aussie holden commodores. VN, VP commodores ran an 808 in both the v6 and v8 models.

the only v8 calibration for the aussie cars would be for the holden 304 V8. there is a 12P calibration to suit. the only thing you would have to do to run it is check your reference angle and put it into the 12P v8 calibration, then the basics like spark tables and the usual tuning. usually, we install our own high speed comms into the 808 to run 8192 baud aldl but with a 165 ecu you can just load 12P onto your memcal and open the adx included in the 12P package and datalog straight up!

though 12P can run on an 808, it is actually based on $12 code, which was on our later model 16183082 ECU. same as the 165, it is an identical ecu except for the high speed comms chip. if you want to read through the various factory calibrations take a look at the memcal ID tool: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=905
if you want to take a look at 12P download the ZIP file here and you can open the v8 calibration in tunerpro and have a look: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=356
here is a wiring diagram, it is the same as 808, but it is for a later model 3082. the only difference is the aldl wire. http://pcmhacking.net/forums/download/file.php?id=5497

im not sure about the air pump and knock control. others may be able to help there. the commodores generally run a knock board on the back of the memcal. maybe it will jsut work wired up how it is already?
the air pump maybe able to be operated via a flex table. in 12P you can put any 2 sensors on the X and Y axis and use the table to drive a relay or PWM. there are 4x flex outputs.