Help reset 0411

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
VX L67 Getrag

Re: Help reset 0411

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

I have had a 0411 PCM before that NOTHING would get info from it except LS1 Flashtool, all others said bootloader fail but LS1 flashtool could read it 100% everytime!

Somehow I managed to get LS1 Flashtool to get it to load stage & then used EFI-Live to flash a full file & sent it off in a car & worked 100%, but if anyone tries to communicate with it again the only thing that still read's it is LS1 Flashtool! (good to know if ANYONE comes across anything saying bootloader fail!)
neruve

Post by neruve »

Looks like the program I am using can't find the Seed_Key.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

neruve wrote:Looks like the program I am using can't find the Seed_Key.
Does it detect the ECU at all? Or does it fail instantly?
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
neruve

Post by neruve »

Tazzi wrote:
neruve wrote:Looks like the program I am using can't find the Seed_Key.
Does it detect the ECU at all? Or does it fail instantly?
It doesn't seem like it detects at all.

Here is the flash program I'm using.
LS1Flash.exe
(450 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
I also have tried to read with Antus' tool and it doesn't seem to connect. It says. "Please check connections and ensure ignition is on." when I try to identify the ecu.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

silly question, but have you tried completely dropping power (remove the battery, not just turn ignition off) as the memory wire can keep the pcm on and in an unusable condition (the flashing bootloader stuck in ram) until you remove the battery for a few mins to reboot the pcm.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Jayme wrote:silly question, but have you tried completely dropping power (remove the battery, not just turn ignition off) as the memory wire can keep the pcm on and in an unusable condition (the flashing bootloader stuck in ram) until you remove the battery for a few mins to reboot the pcm.
That is a good point, I have had ECUs crash and only completely removing the power from it reset it, otherwise no start.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
neruve

Post by neruve »

I'm actually using a bench harness I made for 0411 flashing. I have removed all power several times.
evilstuie
cars: 1985 Pontiac TransAM

Post by evilstuie »

I'm in the exact same boat as you Neruve, only I've now done it twice!
Did exactly the same thing as you, used Dimented's tool with bench harness and AVT-852, connected PCM, entered flash mode, clicked the OS FLash tickbox, flashed it, unticked the OS flash box, flashed the bin again, exited flash mode, disconnected and then couldn't reconnect.

That's 2 PCMs now that are bricked, and I can't find any information on the parts needed to read/write the chip.
If someone can tell me what EPROM burner and software I need to use once I have the chip removed, I can maybe recover these, but I just can't find specific info on the process anywhere other than remove chip, reflash, resolder.
evilstuie
cars: 1985 Pontiac TransAM

Post by evilstuie »

I also just found this from Dimented's first post, if anyone can shed light on what needs to be grounded internally to do this, and whether it's just a discharge ground or if you need to solder/hold ground while performing the recovery?

"The app does both calibration reflashes, and full reflash of the OS. The calibration reflash is pretty safe. I was able to pull the plug in the middle of a reflash and still recover the PCM and finish reflashing it. The OS reflash also works reasonably safely now, but as I found out initially, if you booger up the OS, the PCM bricks. Only way to get the PCM back is to open it up and manually ground an address line to put the PCM into recovery mode. Also the internal controller in the flash chip locks up when the very last address on the chip is programmed. PCM still reflashes ok, but it has to be manually reset. Doubt many people will ever need to reflash an OS, tho But since Im using a custom OS on my PCM, I had to do the whole thing."
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

evilstuie wrote:I'm in the exact same boat as you Neruve, only I've now done it twice!
Did exactly the same thing as you, used Dimented's tool with bench harness and AVT-852, connected PCM, entered flash mode, clicked the OS FLash tickbox, flashed it, unticked the OS flash box, flashed the bin again, exited flash mode, disconnected and then couldn't reconnect.

That's 2 PCMs now that are bricked, and I can't find any information on the parts needed to read/write the chip.
If someone can tell me what EPROM burner and software I need to use once I have the chip removed, I can maybe recover these, but I just can't find specific info on the process anywhere other than remove chip, reflash, resolder.
Hmmm, maybe Dimenteds app is just not at the stage where a full OS flash is reliable enough. Reading through the posts, he sounds alot more confident about the calibration reflashes whereas it seems a full OS change has a chance for everything to completely fail.

Based on what hes said in that last message:
"Also the internal controller in the flash chip locks up when the very last address on the chip is programmed"
Unless Im reading that wrong.. after you do a reflash, you must reboot as the flash chip locks up? Anyone verify if Im interpreting that wrong? So I would have thought.. do OS write.. then Cal write..?

But, Dimenteds app is completely free.. and still very much in its early development stage. He doesnt get paid for it or to continue working on it so it will take alot of time until its at a stage where its more stable and reliable for complete OS changes unless he jumps on the open source band wagon.
The application works perfectly for his need and ECU's implementation, so interest to progress it further may not be there.. along with needing bunches of ECUs (Thousands gone right there) for testing and mass amount of free time to make any significant progress which I dont see happening any time soon.

Should be a donate button for Dimented really. Id click that button asap for the work hes done :thumbup:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726