Last year GM used Intel 28FXXX flash chips?

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
dimented24x7

Last year GM used Intel 28FXXX flash chips?

Post by dimented24x7 »

Sooo... Im starting a new project. I have a Malibu Maxx thats gutted that Im swapping a SC LSJ 2.0L into. Right now Im looking to see what PCM I want to run. I opened up the '04 3.5L PCM and it still has the Intel 28F800 Flash (but in a SSOP package with smaller pitch leads). What year did they finally switch over to using other types of flash? I've seen Spansion in some of the later PCMs.

Ideally Id like to stay within the earlier CAN bus years so I can DL the flash directly and hack into it easier.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Last year GM used Intel 28FXXX flash chips?

Post by antus »

The 2005 1mbit replacement for the 0411 had the AMD chip, so I'd say around then.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
dimented24x7

Post by dimented24x7 »

Well, turns out its a bit more complicated if I actually want to read it... To make it difficult to just slap it in a flash reader GM actually got a custom package marked as a standard 56 pin SSOP. BUT, its the size of a 70 pin SSOP package with the same lead pitch, but with pins omitted, so it wont fit in any sort of adapter (70 pin size but only 56 pins). If I want to read it, I have to make my own prototype adapter board to get it in my PPII. Sooo... On second thought the Spansion might actually be easier to deal with if its a standard package size.

Thank god theres a precision xray machine at work. Don't want to have to tear into another one of these god awful aluminum Molex cases if I don't have to. Absolute nightmare to get the PCB out in one piece. Might damage the actual PCM I plan to use, but at least I will know what's in it ahead of time.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

dimented24x7 wrote:Thank god theres a precision xray machine at work.
Wow.. :wtf:

Whats it look like after scanning, got a picture? Actually sounds really interesting!
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Depends on how much exposure but the electronics usually will be fine. Give it enough and x rays will change the molecular properties of the semi conductors and cause problems. You can even erase EPROMs and those OTP ones too
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.