is this possible? copy and save oem cals

American Delco GM ECUs and PCMs, ALDL, OBD 1.5.
gmtech825

is this possible? copy and save oem cals

Post by gmtech825 »

hey there,

I'm a GM tech and I'm looking for information about copying and re-flashing the software that comes in gm ecu's from the factory. I don't mean the software that is in a vehicle that has been programmed fully. I just mean the software that is in the module when it comes from the parts department.

we used to be able program a module to one vehicle and take it back out and program it to another. now once it's programmed it learns the VIN and it's useless on any other vehicle.

I have zero custom tuning experience, and some very minor experience with C++. I have an MDI, Mongoose cable, ELM 327, and access to Tis2Web.

is it possible to copy the default software, program the module, then flash it back to the default software?

thanks
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Re: is this possible? copy and save oem cals

Post by pman92 »

I'm not 100% sure as I've never done it, but I thought you could re use the modules (in VE at least), but you have to de-link it while it is still in the original vehicle before you remove it and fit it to a new vehicle and then link it into the new vehicle?
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
gmtech825

Post by gmtech825 »

pman92 wrote:I'm not 100% sure as I've never done it, but I thought you could re use the modules (in VE at least), but you have to de-link it while it is still in the original vehicle before you remove it and fit it to a new vehicle and then link it into the new vehicle?

I'm even too green to understand this... what is VE and how do I de-link a module???
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

VE = Commodore!
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

Holden202T wrote:VE = Commodore!
also Pontiac G8
gmtech825

Post by gmtech825 »

Still looking for help on this. any direction, FAQ, or forum that might help?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

we used to be able program a module to one vehicle and take it back out and program it to another. now once it's programmed it learns the VIN and it's useless on any other vehicle.
What vehicles/PCM's are you referring to? As far as Im aware, you can still program a new PCM to a GM Vehicle, de-link the immobiliser and change the vin to suit the new car with MDI and tis. You won't find much on this subject anywhere and if you do, let me know :thumbup:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
gmtech825

Post by gmtech825 »

Biggvl wrote:
What vehicles/PCM's are you referring to? As far as Im aware, you can still program a new PCM to a GM Vehicle, de-link the immobiliser and change the vin to suit the new car with MDI and tis. You won't find much on this subject anywhere and if you do, let me know :thumbup:
This particular vehicle is a 2015 k1500. it programs with tis but other modules set identifier errors(security dtc's) because it has already been assigned another vin. I could try to go the route of changing the vin instead but I figured it would be easier to just try and revert it to the base software. Tis doesn't clear the vin out so I need a way around that.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

What is the PCM service number?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
gmtech825

Post by gmtech825 »

Biggvl wrote:What is the PCM service number?