Newbie needs to write to GM calibration

American Delco GM ECUs and PCMs, ALDL, OBD 1.5.
wysiwyg111

Newbie needs to write to GM calibration

Post by wysiwyg111 »

Dear All:

Thanks for this nifty forum. I look forward to participating. I have just entered the world of flashing, tuning, and car computers.

I have a "1997 Pontiac Grand AM L4-144 2.4L DOHC VIN T SFI 4 door auto SE body" which has been mine for about 6 months. I do not think that my car has been flashed before. When I went to get her smogged, she didn't pass because of a DTC P030X (misfire in one of the cylinders). Also, I was having some issues with the Passlock anti-theft system. She passed the tailpipe test and a mechanic friend of mine said it was running very well and didn't see to be misfiring. When I was researching the Passlock, I came across the world of tuning and flashing which I find very interesting. I ended up on the GM TIS website where I found that the is an updated calibration file that I would like to flash. The data on this is:

GM Vehicle Calibration Information (selected calibration) VIN: 1G2NE52T1VC748794
Controller: PCM/VCM Powertrain/Vehicle Control Module Function: Programming
Calibration History for: Control Module
Part Number Cal.ID# CVN Bulletin # Description
16259913 16259694 N/A -
New calibration to correct an EST problem. Also relaxes misfire diagnostics to prevent false setting of DTC P0300.
16254913 16254754 N/A - Supercession - Software upgrade containing class II fixes
16251023 16250886 N/A - Supercession - correct EGR diagnostic problem
16250523 16250506 N/A - Control module calibration

So, at this point, all I want to do is to flash this update into my PCM. I would be very interested in learning more with this as my introduction into Auto Flashing and Tuning. I do not yet have any software or hardware, but wish to do this and welcome any help. Thank you very much.

Regards, wysiwyg111
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Newbie needs to write to GM calibration

Post by antus »

Welcome to the forums!

Is the computer one of these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-98-99-Pontia ... 1918749645

If so the thing to research is that its service number 16228016

Its and 'ls1 style' '0411 looking computer. That is not to say that it is one of those, there are probably differences that mean you couldnt swap between a v8 and i4 application, but its a pretty well known platform.

There will likely be aftermarket flashing options, or factory. For aftermarket you'll need to look in to licensing, though most packages will flash one car. This will likely be expensive, but set you up for the future if you want to do more of this. You'll also need the tune you want to flash. The supplier of after market software might be able to help with that.

Otherwise there are factory tools. You pay a license for access to SPS (service programming system) and use a suitable J2543 cable to the car. This is what a dealer would do, and will cheaper overall cost. It wont give you a way to create your own tunes or flash them.

You can get reasonably cheap MDI interfaces these days but most are clones, and some are fake and wont work. Having said that working clones are now more the norm. You have a better bet of getting a working one if they show pictures of the boards inside and there are enough of them. Once you search the subject you'll be able to figure it out.

One you have the hardware you can get a short service programming subscription here: https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396