1227165 ECU Questions

American Delco GM ECUs and PCMs, ALDL, OBD 1.5.
K1ng0011
cars: 1972 Camaro Base Model

Re: 1227165 ECU Questions

Post by K1ng0011 »

Here is another update I had to wait on shipping and do some troubleshooting. I got the clips for the fuel injectors that I originally ordered. The clips did not prevent fuel leaks from the fuel rail. I ended up just buying a proper set of 22/lb fuel injectors for my intake/fuel rail. I got the new fuel injectors and installed them. Good news is I dont have any fuel leaks from the injectors. The bad news is it seems I am still having a fuel pressure issues. The fuel pressures that I have been seeing on the fuel gauge has not really been all that consistent so I am not sure what the problem is. I am still trying to work through it. For example most of the time when I turn the key on the fuel pressure spikes to 40psi or so and starts dropping quickly within about a minute or so its near 0psi. I have also had it so randomly the fuel pressure will not drop after priming the engine it will stay right at 30psi for an hour or longer. I took a pair of vice grips and blocked off the return and got the pressure to spike to 60psi. So I decided to replace the regulator. That did not resolve the issue either. Just because nothing has been working I decide to go into the bin and set the injector size to 17# to richen the mixture up and is easy to change it back when I am done. When I set the injector size to 17# I got the engine to run and stay running after the initial start. It was lean like 15AFR but that is the first time it has ran in over three weeks for more than 10 seconds. I looked at the fuel pressure gauge and it was at 20psi. Everything points to a fuel pressure issue from what I can see. It was running before so something has to have happened. Beyond pulling the gas tank and installing a check valve inline not much else I can think to do.

New Gas Tank
New Fuel Pump
New Fuel Filter
New Fuel Lines Return & Supply
New Fuel Injectors
Two New Fuel Pressure Regulators
No external fuel leaks I can see
Replaced leaking schrader valve on fuel rail
I have used two seperate 12v sources to power the fuel pump
K1ng0011

Post by K1ng0011 »

Added a new fuel pump to the tank and tested voltage at the pump. The voltage is good. Still have what appears to be low fuel pressure though with no leaks. I ordered an inline check valve for my supply line. I dont think it will make a difference but its worth a shot. I did not see any issues with the original pump.
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

What type of fuel pressure reg are you using?
Is it mounted on the rail?
Is it adjustable?
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
K1ng0011

Post by K1ng0011 »

This is a factory replacement fuel pressure regulator for a 1986-92 camaro in the rail. It is not adjustable. I found when I installed my second new fuel pressure regulator I installed it wrong. I also found the 90 degree fitting my fuel pressure tester uses is leaking. That was causing my erratic fuel pressure readings along with the fuel pressure regulator. If I take the top part of my intake off I dont need the fuel 90 degree fitting and I can get accurate results when the engine is not running for example when the fuel pump primes in the first two seconds. Since I last posted I found and fixed the fuel pressure regulator install, installed a 2nd new walboro fuel pump, and installed an inline check valve for the supply fuel line. When the engine primes I get about 43lbs of fuel pressure now then the pressure drops off quickly (which it should not). It should run with 43lbs though depending on vacuum to the regulator. I have no external fuel leaks. Currently I have set the injectors to 20lb in the .bin. I got it running today, drove it around, and idling. Today when I was tuning it anytime I hit the pedal it goes lean 18-19AFR. As long as I am cruising/idling around it seems fine I can get it in the 14AFR range. I have been adjusting the AE vs RPM to see if I can kill the lean spot when I hit the throttle so far no luck. Could be I have not adjusted the AE enough though. Engine does not seem to be making power when you tip in the throttle. One of my recent logs is attached if anyone is interested.

New Injectors: Bosch 3 280155700
Injector Bias Vs Battery Voltage:
4.80V - 3.07msec
6.40V - 3.07msec
8.00V - 1.85msec
9.60V - 1.30msec
11.20V - 0.99msec
12.80V - 0.76msec
14.40V - 0.61msec
16.00V - 0.55msec
Attachments
2018-07-25_16.34.00.xdl
(205.61 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

try this i just differenced your bin to my old tune and there was 2 sections that looked like undefined tables that had been modified i dont know what they were as they were not listed in any xdf .see if it runs better with this .
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
K1ng0011

Post by K1ng0011 »

Alright delcowizzid I tried your bin but it has the same issue. You start it and it dies within 10 seconds. The only way I can keep the engine running is by changing the idle VE cells to about 75. Today I was finally able to get a fuel pressure test with the engine running. I am high 30s with the fuel pressure regulator under vacuum. Without vacuum I am getting low 40s on fuel pressure. I think it is safe to say that fuel pressure is not an issue now. My first set of random ebay injectors were 19lb and I was running them at about 45VE in the idle VE cells and had them set to 24lb in the .bin. I now have a set of injectors from a reputable dealer. They are 22lb set at 22lb in the .bin and I have to set the idle VE cells to about 75 to keep the engine from stalling. Yesterday when I was messing around with the .bin and had it running I was at 20lb in the .bin and 66 in the idle VE cells. To me it almost seems like the engine is getting way to much air and I am having to compensate by adding lots of fuel. Like the IAC is letting in way to much air or a massive vacuum leak. When I get the engine running the sensors all seem to be working.

Ran Delcowizzid's bin
Checked Fuel Pressure
Tested all power and grounds at ECU and both are getting 12V
hooked up my spare ECU no change
tested each injector with a noid light found no issues
ohm tested each injector
sprayed carb cleaner at the base of each injector at the manifold to check for vacuum leaks
Verified initial timing with timing light
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Sounds like fuel pressure is good.

It's probably mentioned elsewhere but is it MAP or MAF?

If it's MAF it could well be an air leak. If MAP not so likely.

If MAP, what vacuum is the ECU saying when idling?

How is the injector size input into the bin? Is there a single kinjflow value like our $12p? Or seperate injectior and cylinder size? If seperate, is cylinder size set right?

If that's all good, could there be something causing the injectors to fire only half as often? Eg. They might be meant to fire twice per cycle/between intake events. But something is causing them to only fire once. Hence you have to double the VE to get the right fuel.
~70% VE sounds about double the ~35% you would see at idle.
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

The egr hasn't started leaking into the inlet or anything silly. or got a stuck valve or something stupid its strange it went from running good then started it days later and its borked
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
K1ng0011

Post by K1ng0011 »

My intake has an EGR blockoff plate on it so I dont need to worry about that. I also am running ose12p and the code uses a map sensor. I am using a 165 ECU which is the same as your 808 ECU. At idle the MAP is showing about 20kpa so it look like I am making good vacuum. It's just odd that the VE is so high at idle. That does not seem normal to me. I use the ultimate kinjflow calculator to get my displacement/inj flow rate for the ecu. The single/double fire thing would make since. However I looked for that option in the .bin and found that setting for MAP A. My flag is clear in the .bin like it should be. Unless there is another option that I am missing?

Injector: 280155700
InjFlow@22lb: .129
InjFlow@20lb: .142

MAP A: set=Single fire option, clear=Double fire option (I have it clear in my bin)
K1ng0011

Post by K1ng0011 »

Ok a little bit of good news for once. Basically anytime I hit the pedal it was going very lean. If I was coasting it was fine. I spent several days messing with things in the bin to try and correct this. I was slowly upping the AE everytime. No matter how much I changed the AE the engine had no power because it was dead lean. I honestly thought that there was something in the .bin that was causing asynchronous injector events to not work. Well I figured I could just bump the AE WAY up and give that a shot. Well that actually worked. My AE table is nearly maxed out at about 2.20 at all RPM out of 2.55 but my throttle response is what I expect it to be accelerating in second gear, with the exception of a little bog. Other than that all I did was bump the high end of the VE table (over 50kpa and 1500RPM) from about 68VE to 73VE. I found some information in the forum post below. It seems like having high VE may not be that big of a problem as long as its under a 100 and the AFR is good? Right now the low side of my VE table is in the 60s. High side is in the low 80s. I have my 22lb injectors running as 20lb in the .bin.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1712&start=30