Newbee - Needing Input on Hardware

American Delco GM ECUs and PCMs, ALDL, OBD 1.5.
Epartsman
cars: 2000 Chevy Astro AWD w/ 4.3L Vortec

2003 GMC Sierra 2500 w/6.6L Duramax / Allison

Newbee - Needing Input on Hardware

Post by Epartsman »

Hello,

I'm very new to the OBD scene. I hope that this is the right place to ask, if not, perhaps someone can point me to the appropriate place.

I have been doing a lot of searching online in hopes of getting some information on what hardware is best suited for what I would like to do.

For the most part, I'm not yet into tuning, but I would like to be able to do that in the future.

At the moment, I'm interested in being able to access ALL the DTC codes, and hopefully ABS bleeding sequences for the GM's that I own.

I'd like to use a laptop or PC to read the codes, so I need to find the appropriate adapter. There are times when I work on cars for family members, so I'd like to be able to read codes on other brands of vehicles as well.

I would like to be able to read drivetrain, transmission, body and engine codes.

Any suggestions on either a particular programmer, or, on what features I want to look for?

Thank you in advance for your time.
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Re: Newbee - Needing Input on Hardware

Post by yoda69 »

It will all depend on the age and model of cars your looking at, if you can provide more details on these we can better advise.
For earlier GM vehicles was ALDL , then went to a mix of ALDL and CAN before going completely CAN.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yep. An MDI interface and subscription to official GDS2 software (or tech2win for older models) will give you the most coverage, but the subscription model can be a turn off. Some aftermarket tools provide good coverage, other members can probably suggest. Tuning will probably require a different tool set. Reading SAE defined codes is easy most of the time, but for the coverage you want your well in to proprietary codes. Tazzi also has software for some Australian vehicles, but it depends what your looking for. Its worth knowing that OBD is bunch of protocols and standards which are similar but different at the hardware and high level protocol level but different and publicly undocumented manufacturer extensions are in heavy use for things not defined by the SAE (most of it).
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Epartsman

Post by Epartsman »

Okay,

I _thought_ that my signature contained my vehicles which I put in when I registered.

I'll look into fixing that.

In the meantime,

2000 Chevy Astro AWD w/ 4.3L Vortec

Thanks for the responses.
Epartsman

Post by Epartsman »

Thanks again for the replies and information.

So the follow-up question that I have is _must_ I have an MDI? Or, will a more generic adapter work for me? There's a wide range of price point on these adapters, and, to a certain extent, I believe in you get what you pay for. But, some of these units seem to be overpriced (from my perspective). How does one sift through the market to know if you're getting duped?

I have since found some open-source software programs that seem like they have a bit of traction. But, if I understand correctly, I'm not going to find the 'lower level' code reading capability with an open-source program as I would with a subscription from GM?

Again, sorry for all these questions, but I am really trying to make an informed decision and right now I feel like I have more questions than I should.

Is there a different forum on here where I should be asking these questions?

Best,
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

There are aftermarket tools which will probably provide decent coverage for scanning but as I am not a shop and have none of these someone else would need to chime in. There are a number of Americans on these forums but we are mostly Aussie so the guys with experience with our cars may not feed confident to recommend the same tools.

If you decide you do want an MDI to use with GDS2 and SPS and want to be sure you are getting a good item look for pictures of the PCB inside. I have no affiliation with this site I am about to link but scroll down for top and bottom shots of the PCBs. Most the 'cheap' sellers of devices which will work will show the PCBs in their equipment. http://www.obd2life.com/gm-mdi-multiple ... -1672.html
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396