Trying to communicate with 1226865 ECM

American Delco GM ECUs and PCMs, ALDL, OBD 1.5.
delcowizzid

Re: Trying to communicate with 1226865 ECM

Post by delcowizzid »

Sounds like that ecu doesn't have aldl here's so more info on it
Screenshot_20190918-014753.png
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

There is a 2E xdf for old v4 and a v5 version and ads file here that may work if you import ads in tunerpro and save as adx.its for a v6 but the aldl hopefully is the same if it does happen to have it
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

I have a feeling it may not be the same 2e
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

ndndndnd wrote: By saying the FT232RL can handle the 160 baud data, do you also mean at 12V?

Can you show me what software to use? I've used FT_PROG from the FTDI website, and that identified the chip as an FT232/245BM and that I needed to use older software. I also downloaded MPROG, which is the older software, but this seemed to depend on you telling it what you have. I've confirmed the chip works (?) using puTTY, and also downloaded something called 'chipgenius', which seemed to confirm it's FTDI, but wouldn't say what chip it is.

FT_PROG gives the device out put as just rows of FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF etc....
Hi ND,

In answer to your first question, definitely NOT! That's what the transistor circuit is doing for you. I was referring to the fact that the 160 baud data stream is effectively PWM encoded, not the normal UART encoding.

I couldn't recall which of the two FTDI software supported the FT232RL, but as you've tried both, that leads to a mystery about your "FTDI" USB converter cable. The FT232BM/BL is a more expensive USB interface requiring more componentry than the newer FT232RL, so I wouldn't expect any converter cables to use it today. So either you have a very old cable, or the counterfeiters are trying an alternative to faking the FT232RL. In either case, you need a new cable with a genuine FT232RL so that you can configure the RX line.

As for all the FFFF's, that's normal for an FTDI converter without (a programmed) EEPROM.

Joe.
ndndndnd
cars: 1985 IROC-Z Camaro, L69 E4ME/CLCC
1994 Eunos Roadster, S-special
2004 MG ZS V6
2015 Isuzu D-Max

Post by ndndndnd »

Thanks for the information - I'll have to look into TunerPro more closely as it's all greek to me at the moment!
ndndndnd
2004 MG ZS V6
2015 Isuzu D-Max

Post by ndndndnd »

j_ds_au wrote:
ndndndnd wrote: By saying the FT232RL can handle the 160 baud data, do you also mean at 12V?

Can you show me what software to use? I've used FT_PROG from the FTDI website, and that identified the chip as an FT232/245BM and that I needed to use older software. I also downloaded MPROG, which is the older software, but this seemed to depend on you telling it what you have. I've confirmed the chip works (?) using puTTY, and also downloaded something called 'chipgenius', which seemed to confirm it's FTDI, but wouldn't say what chip it is.

FT_PROG gives the device out put as just rows of FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF etc....
Hi ND,

In answer to your first question, definitely NOT! That's what the transistor circuit is doing for you. I was referring to the fact that the 160 baud data stream is effectively PWM encoded, not the normal UART encoding.

I couldn't recall which of the two FTDI software supported the FT232RL, but as you've tried both, that leads to a mystery about your "FTDI" USB converter cable. The FT232BM/BL is a more expensive USB interface requiring more componentry than the newer FT232RL, so I wouldn't expect any converter cables to use it today. So either you have a very old cable, or the counterfeiters are trying an alternative to faking the FT232RL. In either case, you need a new cable with a genuine FT232RL so that you can configure the RX line.

As for all the FFFF's, that's normal for an FTDI converter without (a programmed) EEPROM.

Joe.
Hmm... so it does seem to behave properly?

This is interesting though: https://www.ebay.com/c/860720478 this seems to show a lot more componentry to accompany the 232BM chip, as you say. A lot more than would fit in the little USB connector I have.

Well, I've had enough. Let's prise open the case.
20190921_233813.jpg
Ah, so I DO have an FT232BL chip. And there's not that much in the way of componentry around it...

Reverse side:
20190921_233551.jpg
Not much there either. Can anyone comment if this looks viable, or have I been sold a pup?

Cheers,

ND
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

I played with these for 8192 baud just with transmit and receive tied together worked fine but wasn't quite fast enough for the late model stuff with extra modules on the data bus.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FT232RL-3-3V-5 ... SwrklVMjIp
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

ndndndnd wrote:
Not much there either. Can anyone comment if this looks viable, or have I been sold a pup?
Hi ND,

What you have there is a bare-bones FT232BL circuit that lacks the configuration EEPROM portion. So not configurable at all. Even if it were the full circuit, this part doesn't support the RX inversion feature you need. So your options are to either change to a (genuine, not fake) FT232RL converter, or add a second transistor circuit to provide the inversion in hardware.

Joe.
ndndndnd
2004 MG ZS V6
2015 Isuzu D-Max

Post by ndndndnd »

Do I need another transistor circuit to invert the signal? I thought the 'Q1' transistor (2N3904) in the WinALDL circuit already inverted the signal? I was investigating inverting the signal so I could omit the transistor circuit and reduce the number of variables...

I guess what I'm getting down to is: does anyone know if this circuit should be working, even through the FT232BL chip?

Thanks for your continuing help guys!

ND