16198259 corvette

American Delco GM ECUs and PCMs, ALDL, OBD 1.5.
keto
cars: turbo corolla van, v6 transit, turbo mazda

16198259 corvette

Post by keto »

well, i have spent alot of time reading here and am really impressed/overwhelmed with the amazing amount of information i need to learn... so feel free to point out where im going wrong

i live in auckland, new zealand and i'm in the process of building a twin turbo 350 chev, with TPI injection system from a Corvette, with a Delco Computer which brings me here :D
the computer is a 16198259, which i think is pretty much the same as what you guys call a 3082, the 16198259 has a earlier edition called the 1227165 which i think is the equivalent of a 808 (sorry about the poor pics, my camera sucks)
here is some pics of my computer(left) next to a 808 i have here, it seems the same but with the aldl chip etc added

i also have a vn v6 motor+box with a 808 computer in a transit which i hope to remap in the future and a mate with a auto vr which i havent had a chance to check the computer yet, so if i can't make anything work with the 16198259 i will revert to a 808 computer

so i hope to buy a NVRAM chip & USB communications board from VL400 so i can real-time tune with tunerpro RT, but i am unsure whether it will work with my 16198259 software, im guessing not???
the other thing that catches my eye is the integration of a wideband using 0-5 into the computer so i can log air/fuel at the same time, although i'm undecided on which unit to get, i like the look of the 14point7 "SLC OEM EvK" but i can get a assembled LC1 locally for not alot more, but will this work with the real-time logging, i'm thinking yes because its just a 0-5v singal right?

the TPI system is abit different to the commodore v6 because it still runs a dissy and is own external knock control and doesn't have he knock board in the memcal, i havn't found a injected 304 to check out to see if they run wasted spark or dissy's?
here is my memcal on the left and 808 v6 on the right

i really want to be able to real-time tune so from what i read i think i will have to use the OSE12P software or is there a way to configure the software on my memecal for realtime?

it is currently MAF sensored so i had hoped to fit a bigger nissan air flow meter and blow through it because i like the way this works on other setup's i've seen, but i haven't found much mention to MAF sensors so i'll have to convert to a 2bar map if i want to run the 12P software?

i have a little electronics experience but nowhere near you guys, and will do all the fab work myself so hopefully i can pull it all together

so much to learn... and i haven't even started tuning yet :P

any help is greatly appreciated
Last edited by keto on Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: 16198259 corovette

Post by VL400 »

Welcome to the forums :thumbup: The ECU looks very much like it would work with the NVRAM board and 12P, your software would need to be modified for RT - if you can post up the the bin will have a look and see if its possible.

The wideband integration is so the wideband data is displayed in the ALDL data stream, makes tuning much easier. It uses a spare 0-5v input on the ECU. Cant really go wrong with either of the widebands you mentioned, both have been used on a delco.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well i reckon at the very worst you could re-pin your plugs to suit the 808 and shouldn't have any problems running that with $12P and 304 ignition module

im not sure if the realtime stuff would work in your ecm though, i think if anything though the hardware should work fine but it would be a matter of weather the software would or not. VL400 might be able to shed more light on that.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

sounds like replacement unit for 165 ecu "Hold on to that ECM (16198259)!!!!!!!! The best thing about this ECM is that it is a updated or newer version of the 1227165. The benefit of this ECM is that if any solenoids or coils begin to fail, the ECM will shut down that circuit to reduce the chances of the ECM getting damaged". heaps on 3rdgen http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tags/16198259.html about them if you want a read.theres lots of good delco info there spent many hours trawling through that site in the beginning.should be pretty close to the 808 look for wiring diagram on 3rdgen and match them up to make sure
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
keto

Post by keto »

woohoo it sounds hopeful

i'm working on finding a reader/writer to get the bin off the prom, and wll post it up as soon as i can, i havent found one on the american sites yet

i have a friend going to aussie next week so was hoping to get the hardware from VL400, i will pm you :thumbup:

and i forgot the pics of the memcal
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

what is the bcc code on the silver sticker on the eprom 4 letters and 4 numbers we probably have the file but we didnt put all the usa bins up on here theres just way to many to load one by one
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
keto

Post by keto »

I've looked alot through the thirdgen forums, and they all say its a great computer and to keep it but am yet to fnd anyone sharing much real data on the unit...

the chip is AKHA 2445, yea i wondered if someone would have a stash of files kicking around, is must be thousands out there!
Six_Shooter
cars: 2005 Dodge Dakota - For Sale
2000 GMC Yukon - The Daily driver
1985 GMC Jimmy S-15 - Under reconstruction
1973 Datsun 240Z - Toy, uses GM EFI.

Post by Six_Shooter »

I don't see that bin listed on Moates' site.

The information I can find on it is that it is for 1988 , ECM 1227165, 5.0L auto. Being an '88 in the '165 it should be the $32b mask. Most people change from '32b to $6E, since it is an updated MAF calibration for the TPI.

Since you want to go boost, I would also consider looking at $59, this is $58 (Syclone, Typhoon, Turbo Sunbird) that has been worked over and updated thoroughly, including not only WBO2 datalogging, but use of the WBO2 for closed loop control, if you want to use it that way. It also has VE tables that support up to 300 KPA (about 30 PSIG of boost). This is what I use in my turbo 2.8L Datsun 240Z. At this point you would have to swap to a different ECM, a '7730/'7749 or equivilant, since I don't think the code has been sucessfully adapted to the '808, though I do know there was a thread discussing this on the code59 forums. For more info: www.code59.org
2005 Dodge Dakota - The daily
1985 GMC Jimmy - A work in progress
1973 Datsun 240Z - The Toy, turbocharged and injected using GM EFI, and code59

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

if you want to use the 808 use $12P otherwise stick with $59 for the 165 etc
keto

Post by keto »

ive been doing a heap more reading and thinking about the setup, had a good look at the $59 but really i think the $12p sounds like its abit ahead of it

so i compared the wiring looms and theres only a handful of differances between my loom and the OSE12P wiring diagram, listed below...
so i think the best way is to add/resplice the loom to use a map sensor and the $12p data to tune,

My Loom ----------- OSE12P Wiring pdf
PIN
A2 A.I.R SWITCH PORT ----------- ECU TO TRIP COMP
A3 CANISTER PURGE CONTROL ----------- FLEX OUTPUT 2
A4 EGR CONTROL ----------- FLEZ OUTPUT 1
A5 S.E.S CONTROL ----------- CHECK ENGINE
A8 SERIAL DATA ----------- NOT USED

C2 A.I.R CONTROL(CONVERTER)
C11 NOT USED ----------- MAP SENSOR
C15 EGR DIAGNOSTIC SWITCH ----------- NOT USED

B2 FUEL PUMP SIGNAL ----------- NOT USED
B7 ESC SIGNAL ----------- NOT USED
B9 NOT USED ----------- A/B SWITCH ?
B12 MAF SENSOR INPUT ----------- 0-25v A/D INPUT
D3 SYSTEM GROUND ----------- NOT USED
D11 A/C PRESSURE FAN SWITCH ? ----------- NOT USED
D12 BURN OFF RELAY ----------- FLEX OUTPUT 3

so i've been hunting for a 3bar MAP sensor, even tho i'm only going to be running ~12psi i don't feel safe with a 2bar sensor in case of spikes
the best i've found in my collection is a Denso 4bar #949940-6420, its still a 5V sensor so i'm thinking in the software i could reset the resolution, because i am never goining to need 44PSI haha
i also have a found a few of these hks sensors, i'm not sure if they are map sensors or just crude pressure sensors for boost control??? i will hunt out a manometer and see if i can test it

I am planning on using 8x560cc (53lb) injectors which are low resistance, and using two resister packs from 4-cyclinder cars from wreaking yard like i have done on previous 4cyc setups, seeing how the computer fire's in two banks one resistor pack on each side will bring it up ~10ohm each injector to normal levels, is anyone else doing this?

and i think i've found a wideband locally quite cheap :thumbup: