16198259 corvette

American Delco GM ECUs and PCMs, ALDL, OBD 1.5.
keto
cars: turbo corolla van, v6 transit, turbo mazda

Re: 16198259 corvette

Post by keto »

yea was debating the inlet manifold last night, but had a spare block sitting there and it didn't seem to look like the water could get into any of the oil galleries, didn't think about them going into the rocker covers tho, will have a real good look, and didn't think about timing cover, will inspect!
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

Water doesn't have to leak into the oil galleries, all it has to do is leak from the manifold and into the V with the lifters, from there it ends up in the sump very quickly. :thumbdown:
Have had problems in the past with air leaks into the inlet runners from under the manifold.

Must admit, like my old Ford Cleveland for that, inlet manifold has no water in it. :D

yoda69
keto

Post by keto »

ok will check that too, hmmm there seems to be a few options... the head studs go into the water jackets so require sealer on the threads (and some are covered by the rocker covers so could leak into there), i don't know what the builder used, but my guess would be the moly greese that comes with the studs (what i've always used on 4cyc's i've built)
there also seems to be a a oil feed to the water pump, but my mate said the gasket was blanked off for this port when he fitted the pump, it's a new water pump so that could be dodgy?

will go and see engine guy

maybe i should split this off to a projects thread?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i had the same issue with a motor of a mates, main issue for us was the bloke was rushing everything, im doing 10 things at once and he did the valley bolts .... put gasket sealer on them turns out they need proper sealer cause they go into the water galleries ... same issue ...

we he ended up getting the right stuff, re-did the bolts on at a time with sealer and then changed the oil..... run it for while to get it hot and that should get the water left in the motor evaporating, give it a few days and see if it clears up, thats what we did cause i SO didn't want to do the heads if i didn't have to!
keto

Post by keto »

do you mean thread sealer instead of gasket goo? would make sense and stand upto the heat, got some loctite stuff here i use for important threads/pipe sealant, might be the go, i think i'll let it get warm once then quickly pull it apart and see if i can find any leaks, under the rocket or inlet manifold, not keen to take the heads off, but have time constrants :lol:

was planning to try and de-torque the head/s and remove the bolts one by one, coat in sealer and then re-torque, just gotta find a way to clean grease out of threads without taking head off??? couldn't get to see the engine guy today so still in the dark about what he used, will catch him at work tomorrow morning

oh how i love cars :mrgreen:

on a side note: love the software and tuning, really impressed, well done guys, can't wait to try out a 808 with 12p on one of my 4cyc cars
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah thread sealer!

the one he used is in a tin with a holden label ..... i personally wouldn't pay 3 x as much just for the holden stuff, but you get the idea!
keto

Post by keto »

well i used to use this thread sealer at my old job on helicopter components so i know its good stuff and fairly multipurpose, might ring holden just out of interest and see what there stuff costs

there might be hope! so used to 4cyclinders where head gaskets are common failures
keto

Post by keto »

think i've found the problem, apparently there is a slight difference in the injected manifold, the angle of the V changes by about 6 degrees causing a water leak, and there is a special adapter gasket (available ex USA) but most people just full with silicon and overtorque the inlet manifold....

so i'm on the look for a friendly/crazy machinist that i could take car to and disassemble there so they can measure the engine and machine the manifold....

that or i think i can get some of the injected heads and slam them on, or last resort i will use grinder and file to adjust angle, but really don't think i want to do this while rushing, its abit too dodgy for my liking :roll:

at least we know where the problem is
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i like the sound of taking it to a machinist, they should be able to machine the manifold to true it up
keto

Post by keto »

yea it is the best option, i wish i still had access to a mill i'd do it myself, i've got another idea tho, just have to pull it apart and do some proper measuring to see if it will work