Having trouble with writing ,,supposed to get keys 6 bytes 4

American Delco GM ECUs and PCMs, ALDL, OBD 1.5.
DWS
cars: Tons of Toyotas, 2003 cavi derby car, ford trucks, etc.

Re: Having trouble with writing ,,supposed to get keys 6 byt

Post by DWS »

Sometimes GM's are a real bear to get burped out. Some require special tools so you can fill the fluid level above the radiator fill cap to actually get it to burp out, the older grand ams were like that. That's why the quad 4 got a bad rep for blowing head gaskets, it was a new thing and no one had the right tools back then.

Bad head gasket doesn't always mean water in the oil. There's a sniffer test of some sort to look for engine combustion gases in the coolant, that would tell you if the head gasket is leaking into the coolant passages. If that's the case it will continuously get air in the system and likely cause it to overheat.

The coolant fill always fills up a little bit from the heat, liquid does expand, but air expands a lot more. That's why there's a hot and cold line.

Funny, the more you talk about working on the GM, the more it cements why I don't drive GM's any more lol. I did the whole water pump and timing belt job on my camry v6 car in like 1.5-2hr.

This is my 98 camry v6, it came from a trailer park, rusted out beater, had to do timing belt + water pump and replace the injectors to get it running good again. You can see how it runs though in this vid, I get on it pretty good at the end. The 122 trans harness is something for circle track racers, yea... people race camry's on dirt lol. 2nd gear is a huge jump in gear ratio, the guy I was talking to said they typically run around 50-60mph while racing.

Also worth a mention.... there was a dealer installed supercharger for those cars too, so 190hp was just the engine on it's own, not sure what the supercharge bumps it up to, it's not a huge amount of boost, I think like 5psi maybe 7psi if over driven.

https://rumble.com/v2gu1zi-camry-v6-122 ... s-dws.html

This is another vehicle Toyota makes under the Lexus brand, LS400. When I learned they made a v8 rwd car I had to get one. They aren't too exciting unless you manually shift them, they drive like a domestic, early shifting, can't make their mind up what gear to be in sometimes, but manual control it's pretty fun. It's a heavy car, open diff, nothing special race wise, just the engine is built really well, it's also a 6 bolt main, 4.0L 250hp stock for that era, later ones got 300hp with vvt-i. NA there's a race team that has one that puts out 510hp, it's detuned due to the rules too (stock is 10.5:1 compression, the comp engine is 10:1). I'll link that vid too even though it doesn't show a whole lot.

Those engines are insanely smooth, if you go back in the 90's there's a commercial with champagne glasses stacked on the hood with the car going 145mph on a dyno. People have recreated that as well. I'll link a vid that shows the old one and a newer one. They do ride real nice, rear end has insane travel for a car, my dad's high lift floor jack can barely get the rear tires off the ground.

I might have grew up in the 90's but my dad was a 70's Oldsmobile fan, so I grew up around v8 rwd cars lol. Anyway, probably shouldn't derail the thread too much. Btw neat that you've had some hardware experience, I've never done fireworks but I have a rough idea on how it works, clearly a type of gunpowder for the explosions, different metals and such for the colors. My family played around with oxygen/acetylene balloons, why not link another vid, this one the guys got the mix right, my dad was just guessing, he always was too rich so it was more of a fireball and less explosion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-tu7-79mtI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfJW4WY2qE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32w76TaRaRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt2AGtyMb74
Ford EEC-V Bin Converter (bank swapping and padding): viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8342
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

DWS wrote:Don't really know much about the GT's, but of my understanding, all of the 3100/3400 engines are effectively the same, just the 3400 is larger displacement of course.

From google results
A 170-hp, 3.4-liter V-6 engine is standard in the SE2 and optional in the SE1. A 175-hp Ram Air V-6 with cold-air induction and a lower-restriction exhaust system goes into the GT and GT1 and teams only with the automatic transmission.
so there's 5hp difference, probably so little difference in the tune you'd never feel it.

I'm a bit of a Toyota fanboy, but the 1MZ 3.0L camry engine (not a sports car at all) puts out around 190hp and is quite a lot smaller engine, 6 bolt main, 10.5:1 compression =).

For the coolant thing, sounds like it needs to be burped and get the air out of the system.

Scanners read things differently, normally you have to tell it the vin digits and then it picks that stuff up for trim and such. Pretty sure it's just reading the vin number in the computer to flag it as a GT or not. In the computers I've been into, there's only 1 location the VIN was stored.

Fun little side fact, the older Grand Am's from the early 90's with the quad 4 2.3L 4cyl engine had an option for a high output that made 180hp, more than that 3.4L and a whole lot smaller. Those things zipped around pretty nice with the standard engine in them (160hp if I remember right). Trim names are basically just marketing jargon, just something to extract more money out of the buyer in some cases. Like Toyota is guilty as well with their "American Edition" aka base mode car with a dealer installed security system.

Anyway, not trying to bash your car or anything, just I'm not really impressed with GM's, even the newer 3.5L doesn't make that much more power (200hp). That's more of the American way though, make the engine bigger and that's the cheap/easy way to make more power. Power scales with displacement lineally, aka that 2.3L 180hp engine scaled to a 3.4L would be 266hp if all else was equal. Less power generally means more reliable, so fair chances that's why they don't push the power too much.
There is no difference that I am aware of in any of the tunes of the various 3400 engines. The difference is in the intake and exhaust diameters (the SE has 1 7/8" tubing and the GT uses 2 1/4")
The BIG difference between the Quad4 (and the later TC) is the Torque the i4 puts out - 150 to 160 vs 200+ for the 3400 V6.
And I THINK there is 1 character on the vin that determines the trim level (SE, SE1, SE2, GT1, GT2).

Mike

p.s. in regards to THIS comment:
"Also worth a mention.... there was a dealer installed supercharger for those cars too, so 190hp was just the engine on it's own, not sure what the supercharge bumps it up to, it's not a huge amount of boost, I think like 5psi maybe 7psi if over driven."

The Supercharger was ONLY for the 150HP 2.4l Twin Cam and bumped HP to 200 or so.
Last edited by MudDuck514 on Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

DethRattles wrote:Yeah the whole badging thing messed me up because a junkyard nearby had a grand am that said v6HO badges everywhere....it was before they called them ram air...my gt has ram air. I was looking at those badges though thinking they were special,specialized one of a kind. it was only an inbetween. i woudnt mind those badges.

the coolant hs been burped so many times now,,,im thinking the worst. could be a cylinder head gasket leak into a cylinder. The oil looks fine, temps stay perfect but that coolant always shoots out after a drive. and the coolant is way below the cold level when its hot. I'm thinking about drilling the thermostat. It maight help, i just wished the engineers thought about exhaust placement because a special U shaped tool is needed to remove the thermostat...its a bitch and almost a 2 hour job(im exaggerating a lil, but not that much).

Its new reservoir bottle too, previous owner stripped the cap...bought a junkyard one and it was cracked. the radiator fans werent kicking on so the previous owner ran the ac for the fans to kick on. overheating ws an issue before but i settled that...i just think the gasket is bad which is a 5 hour and lots of broken bolt job.

And those cars pushing 190 is crazy,,,even the old grand am ...i had no idea. Its definitely nice to meet you, you have a wealth of knowledge. I know fireworks -how to build make rockets/mortars/sparklers/fountains,,,you get the hint. I know rc heli's planes' that arduino uno i used for my daughters chucky doll's eyes. i put servos to make them move back and forth. I did flash and tune a volvo 850r ecu for my 850 t5. it was when tunerpro rt was free cause i dont remember buying it. the write up i posted about. https://m44.fandom.com/wiki/M44_Wiki So i know tuning through thaat old app,,,just wish my old laptop would turn on so i had access to it.
Exhaust gases into the cooling system WILL cause the engine to overheat VERY RAPIDLY.
I THINK the V6HO badge was changed to RAM AIR for the 2000 model year - or perhaps 2001.
As for the thermostat - I had the change it on my 2005 Venture 3400, and YES it was a NIGHTMARE. Water pump wasn't TOO bad lol.

Mike
DethRattles
cars: 2004 Grand am gt

Post by DethRattles »

i think the ho was a 98 model...i can find out because i have to go back out to it to get cage for a radio i left accidentally. And my car doesn't overheat but im gonna try getting more air out. i might get a tester to see if combustion gasses are coming up out the overflow. It does have a bit miore condensation fumes coming out than i think is normal.
DWS

Post by DWS »

MudDuck514 wrote:
DWS wrote:Don't really know much about the GT's, but of my understanding, all of the 3100/3400 engines are effectively the same, just the 3400 is larger displacement of course.

From google results
A 170-hp, 3.4-liter V-6 engine is standard in the SE2 and optional in the SE1. A 175-hp Ram Air V-6 with cold-air induction and a lower-restriction exhaust system goes into the GT and GT1 and teams only with the automatic transmission.
so there's 5hp difference, probably so little difference in the tune you'd never feel it.

I'm a bit of a Toyota fanboy, but the 1MZ 3.0L camry engine (not a sports car at all) puts out around 190hp and is quite a lot smaller engine, 6 bolt main, 10.5:1 compression =).

For the coolant thing, sounds like it needs to be burped and get the air out of the system.

Scanners read things differently, normally you have to tell it the vin digits and then it picks that stuff up for trim and such. Pretty sure it's just reading the vin number in the computer to flag it as a GT or not. In the computers I've been into, there's only 1 location the VIN was stored.

Fun little side fact, the older Grand Am's from the early 90's with the quad 4 2.3L 4cyl engine had an option for a high output that made 180hp, more than that 3.4L and a whole lot smaller. Those things zipped around pretty nice with the standard engine in them (160hp if I remember right). Trim names are basically just marketing jargon, just something to extract more money out of the buyer in some cases. Like Toyota is guilty as well with their "American Edition" aka base mode car with a dealer installed security system.

Anyway, not trying to bash your car or anything, just I'm not really impressed with GM's, even the newer 3.5L doesn't make that much more power (200hp). That's more of the American way though, make the engine bigger and that's the cheap/easy way to make more power. Power scales with displacement lineally, aka that 2.3L 180hp engine scaled to a 3.4L would be 266hp if all else was equal. Less power generally means more reliable, so fair chances that's why they don't push the power too much.
There is no difference that I am aware of in any of the tunes of the various 3400 engines. The difference is in the intake and exhaust diameters (the SE has 1 7/8" tubing and the GT uses 2 1/4")
The BIG difference between the Quad4 (and the later TC) is the Torque the i4 puts out - 150 to 160 vs 200+ for the 3400 V6.
And I THINK there is 1 character on the vin that determines the trim level (SE, SE1, SE2, GT1, GT2).

Mike

p.s. in regards to THIS comment:
"Also worth a mention.... there was a dealer installed supercharger for those cars too, so 190hp was just the engine on it's own, not sure what the supercharge bumps it up to, it's not a huge amount of boost, I think like 5psi maybe 7psi if over driven."

The Supercharger was ONLY for the 150HP 2.4l Twin Cam and bumped HP to 200 or so.
FYI, the 190hp thing and supercharger is for the Toyota 1mz v6 camry, not a GM. Here's a post of someone selling one for a visual

https://www.mr2oc.com/threads/trd-super ... fe.626321/
DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

Those toyotas can get mean by their potential...i've only viewed one supercharged grand am on youtube and the amount of MachineWorks is crazy. Picture a long cylinder with bearings cutting across the entire front of the exhaust manifold. It reaches all the way over to hit the pulleys from the left side of the engine to the right. It's only 3 cylinders worth of manifold but line up has to be perfect.
DWS

Post by DWS »

DethRattles wrote:Those toyotas can get mean by their potential...i've only viewed one supercharged grand am on youtube and the amount of MachineWorks is crazy. Picture a long cylinder with bearings cutting across the entire front of the exhaust manifold. It reaches all the way over to hit the pulleys from the left side of the engine to the right. It's only 3 cylinders worth of manifold but line up has to be perfect.
For the TRD supercharger for the 1mz camry v6 engine, it's legit bolt on lol, doesn't even need anything done to the computer.

Here's a vid of one assembled, the guy says the stuff is from the factory, but it isn't done by Toyota Corp or the plant that builds the cars, it's a dealer installed option when the person buys the car or later in life while they were still being sold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMrVxOHG7sE

They also made them for the Tundra's too. TRD is Toyota Racing Development, so it's not a 3rd party kit even though it's built by a 3rd party if that makes sense. Back when this was an option, you'd still have all factory dealer warranties even with the supercharger installed. I think they were running like $3k + install at least for the smaller ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-tqI4UKYCI

The Lexus LS400 also had a TRD supercharger, if I remember right it gave roughly 105hp gains but they weren't very popular of my understanding and I think they had some sort of an issue with those setups.

Btw, I'm not really talking wildly modified or anything, the Supra 2JZ is a real common engine in the tuner world of my understanding. I think people were saying this is a 6 sec car, not bad for a 3.0L with a ton of boost. They are a fairly heavy car factory too. Of course my Toyota fanboy is showing, I better slow down before I get myself in trouble lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGZ17JbHi4I

Also there's a 2jz in a side by side, these guys are Michigan based, pretty close to my area too, never met them though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyA0q_xOiTw
DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

DWS wrote:
DethRattles wrote:Those toyotas can get mean by their potential...i've only viewed one supercharged grand am on youtube and the amount of MachineWorks is crazy. Picture a long cylinder with bearings cutting across the entire front of the exhaust manifold. It reaches all the way over to hit the pulleys from the left side of the engine to the right. It's only 3 cylinders worth of manifold but line up has to be perfect.
For the TRD supercharger for the 1mz camry v6 engine, it's legit bolt on lol, doesn't even need anything done to the computer.

Here's a vid of one assembled, the guy says the stuff is from the factory, but it isn't done by Toyota Corp or the plant that builds the cars, it's a dealer installed option when the person buys the car or later in life while they were still being sold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMrVxOHG7sE

They also made them for the Tundra's too. TRD is Toyota Racing Development, so it's not a 3rd party kit even though it's built by a 3rd party if that makes sense. Back when this was an option, you'd still have all factory dealer warranties even with the supercharger installed. I think they were running like $3k + install at least for the smaller ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-tqI4UKYCI

The Lexus LS400 also had a TRD supercharger, if I remember right it gave roughly 105hp gains but they weren't very popular of my understanding and I think they had some sort of an issue with those setups.

Btw, I'm not really talking wildly modified or anything, the Supra 2JZ is a real common engine in the tuner world of my understanding. I think people were saying this is a 6 sec car, not bad for a 3.0L with a ton of boost. They are a fairly heavy car factory too. Of course my Toyota fanboy is showing, I better slow down before I get myself in trouble lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGZ17JbHi4I

Also there's a 2jz in a side by side, these guys are Michigan based, pretty close to my area too, never met them though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyA0q_xOiTw

Where are you in michigan? I'm in Lenawee county. I love supras, but i also love volvo's ,,those volvo's the 850t5 and the R version are heavy but 5 cylinders turboed was nice. Plus the factory R ecu can be modded easily to be tuned, only cost for a fully tuneable ecu is less than 150$
DWS

Post by DWS »

I'm in midmichigan, looks like you're near the boarder so roughly 1/2 a state away lol.

Besides the little I've done with GM's and the Toyota computers, I basically have zero experience with anything else for their electronics/computers. I have messed with some Honda's and hacked some to have the immo be disabled, quite often it involves setting a internal circuit error code that makes the computer run the engine in a fail safe mode so not suitable for daily drivers.
DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

Who's it suitable for,, isn't that limp mode? And people keep saying that obx and lsdroid will fix me right up tuning my p04...but im not on their list of compatibility. So are they not able to be written to yet because of the differences amongst them compared to the ls1 motors, p01,p59?