My First Tune 12P

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: My First Tune 12P

Post by Dylan »

I have read a few bad things about them some good aswell though. Maybe cam choice is more critical with these?
Have you ever tuned one delco? I was suprised by the size of the throttle bodies 54mm from memory.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Dual 54mm would be around a 82mm single, but that does not allow for the throttle shafts. Should be capable of a reasonable amount of airflow, but there must be some air distribution or resonance that cause the VE spike.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Yeah must be tuned to certain resonance and getting two harmonics ramming air in there
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Been getting a few runs in lately im starting to notice im going back and forwards a bit with the VE. Im going to go back through the last few logs and re look.
Ive noticed it getting richer after some heat soak has kicked in and leaner on first start.

Im thinking i would adjust the charge temp inverse table. Especially given its an aftermarket manifold. Its the Come racing twin throttle set up.
It has very open runners and the IAT sensor is half way down the number 8 runner.

Ive been reading a bit on this and looks like most people seem to give it a bit of a touch up but leave the coolant contribution table alone?

Just for fun i looked at the $DB BAYA bin with it being the VN Group A tune and their manifold being of similair design.
There tables have way different settings to the standard VN tunes. Their inverse temp table has different values to $12P VL400 give me some pointers on comparing them to the 12P layout in hex but i got lost. In DB they have kelvin on both sides 12P has the values in Celsious.
Also the BAYA has a very modified coolant contribution table. Would that be altered due to manifold design?
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Got a quick example here. First start of the day

Charge temp 25, coolant 13.3, MAT 32.8
Target AFR 14
MAP 63kpa
VE 32%
Wide Band 15.2

Later in the day

Charge temp 91, coolant 90, MAT93.5
Target AFR 15.5
MAP 63kpa
VE 34%
Wide Band 14.10

All these taken from the full dash with 12P 1 bar petrol ADX with calc ve.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Been playing around the last few weekends with the charge temp trying to get it consistent between hot and cold.
Looked over the different codes from VN - VS and between the Holden and HSV and noticed theres quite a variance considering the manifold is the same.

I first of started changing the existing charge temp inverse table (which was modified in the original $DB bin) but no real success.
In the end i got great results from the VN Group A bin BAYA7003. I had a thought while looking around (thanks to the memcal id tool)
that this manifold the COME Racing TTB is similair in desing to the VN Group A design.
So copied over the inverse charge temp table, also the coolant percent contribution table.

Immediate results! got a few hot and cold logs and after a few VE changes got it a lot more consistent.
Also had a little problem of the injector duty cycle hitting around 90% while looking for new injectors we picked up that the fule pressure regulaotr (adjustable) was set at 38psi fixed. So re set that to 45psi and adjust the VE table again and now seeing high 70's duty cycle.

Next up im going to dial in the acceleration enrichment. What is a common target for AFR increase? Currently getting aroun 4! Seems a bit high to me thats with some settings copied from the original DB bin. Thinking i will start back at the standard 12p settings.
Being my first tuning effort i was a bit hestent to start from scratch, but next time i wouldnt bother with using any settings from other code bases just rip into it.
Maybe VE and spark thats it, only if it was a touch up.

Then to dial in the top end a bit better. I think i will have to use some message 6 commands for this as it revs so quick we get different readings between same rpm and map in different gears im thinking the scan time could be causing this?
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

the ae is only to get past sudden throttle opening so whatever keeps it from dipping lean or to rich when you move the throttle
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Cool, just out of interest i guess i will find out. If it was to much would it not "feel" as responsive? Being to much enrichment. Then to little and it will hesitate.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

what item do you adjust in 12p to alter ae?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

AE Temperature Factor VS Coolant Temp
AE Multiplier VS Engine RPM
AE Fuel Decay Factor

I dont fully understand how they all interact together yet as i have not adjusted anything yet to get a before and after log.
The decay factor im guessing is how long the enrichment lasts, The multiplier im guessing is how much the factor is multiplied by from the first table?