what to do where do i start delco ecu remap

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
Stodzy79
cars: vr ss

what to do where do i start delco ecu remap

Post by Stodzy79 »

Hi Guys
I am currently in the process of rebuilding my beloved vr clubby commodore. it has gone through a ground up rebuild and I am now at the point of trying to get a tune done on the delco ecu. can someone on here just do me a chip up or am I best to buy the gear I need and start from scratch? I have good experience with carb engines, this is the first I am playing with efi, I don't want to destroy a 20k engine with bad tune

thankyou all
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Re: what to do where do i start delco ecu remap

Post by MAGP »

If the engine wasn't modified then someone here (the guys who have many posts like Antus, VL400, Immortality, Dylan, The1, Jayme, etc.) might be able to supply you with a generic "performance" tune and it would probably be a close match.
If the engine was modified you would need to post what mods were done and someone with a similar engine may have a tune that would be a good match. If no one has a matching tune you are best to either get someone to tune it for you or get the equipment yourself and learn how to tune.

Whatever you do, and this is just my opinion, don't buy a performance chip of ebay. Some sellers, and I won't mention names cause I don't want to get caught up in a legal case nor do I want to get this forum in trouble, don't sell what they advertise. Get it from someone who has a good reputation like those I listed above.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i agree, post up your engine mods and then more people might be able to help with a tune to get you started or similar.

but honestly if you have spent $20k on a motor i'm going to say spend a bit more and get it tuned properly!

even if you buy the hardware to realtime tune it and take it to your local dyno, they should be able to work it out.

if you are interested to learn then get the bits needed and tune it yourself, its very rewarding and a great thing to learn if you are willing.
Stodzy79

Post by Stodzy79 »

thanks guys
engine mods are
come 383 bottom end, harrop single plane, 4bbl throttle body, bosch green 442 injectors , ice ignition system, 4l60e trans (5hdb)
crane cam solid roller 888181 spec deg@.050 lift 244/252 deg advanced duration 294/302 Deg Lob separation 112 gros lift 579/598
power delivery 3800/7200rpm cnc vn heads by advanced performance centre/level2 12:1 comp roller rockers ect ect ect
in a nut shell that is the engine specs. I might look at doing a manual valve body on the box, not sure at this stage yet
Stodzy79

Post by Stodzy79 »

I would look at getting someone to do a proper tune, however I have been calling around for the past 4 days and know one in Brisbane will do a delco tune
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Get yourself a wideband a aldl interface and a nvram. Laptop with tuner pro rt and rip into it.
I can do you up a base bin to start you off to suit your injectors and capacity and set it to open loop.

Then just log it and go from there. Start of with cranking and idling then low rpm driving and go from there. Those intakes need a bit of work around charge temp but that's just trial and error.
Last edited by Dylan on Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

If I had my own dyno and you could get the car to the country music capital of Australia I'd do it for you.
Once I get a dyno I'll advertise my services but until then all I can do is street tune which is basically what you would do on your own anyway by logging and adjusting as you go.
Stodzy79

Post by Stodzy79 »

Sorry if I come across as a dumb ass on here,
How involved is it to tune? I have a trade background in the panel repair industry, so working with hands ect comes pretty easy to me, I lean more by watching that by reading,
Are there any sort of YouTube clips ect that can give any info?
Stodzy79

Post by Stodzy79 »

What would one of you guys charge to get the basics on a chip?
What gear do I then need to get and who do I get it from?
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Honestly you don't want to "guess" something like that. You have a serious build sounds like you have some pride in it continue on and have it done right. If you want to tune it yourself you will. If yo have a full time job and kids etc it will take you 6 month's of weekends countless spark plugs and many tanks of fuel.

What's your daily something you can practice on? Something you can start with a stock tune on?
I could make something up that'll get it running to develop further if you had the gear.