Can Anyone help me with an idle tune?

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
prolectric
cars: 1981 VH SLE Holden 5.0 Vortech V2

Can Anyone help me with an idle tune?

Post by prolectric »

Posted in possibly the wrong area last week, so hopefully this is the right spot!

G'day lads, this is my first post but i have had a few engines built over the years and always kept the delco ecu. I know its a powerfull unit just can be tricky to tune correctly. My issue is i have a brand new engine and i want to start and idle it to make sure everything is in order before it goes to get a propper tune. There isnt that many tuners in my area that are able to tune the delco system. I was wondering if anyone had or could make a bin file that would get my engine to start and idle? That is all im after for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Specs are as follows

1988 VN V8 5.0l
Torque Power Duel Plane High Rise Manifold
Bosch 1000cc injectors (can supply dead times if needed)
CamTech Solid Roller Camshaft (intake lift @ valve .625" exhaust @ valve .657" duration @.050 inlet 244 exhaust 249 LSA 114)
E85 FUEL
Extensivly Ported Vn Cylinder heads
Twin Bosch 044 Pumps
9.0:1 Compression (approx)
LS1 Throttle Body
ICE Ignition System
Vortech V2 Supercharger
2 bar Map sensor

Thanks In Advance!
James
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Can Anyone help me with an idle tune?

Post by Dylan »

You need it burnt to a memcal or just email the file?
It's a fair motor you have there.
v8-tuning
cars: 304 commodore

Post by v8-tuning »

Honestly better off taking it to a shop to do what you want.
Any mail order will be guess work with that combo especially on e85 even if its just to get it to idle/run.
Maybe consider the plug in haltech platinum ecu?
Opens the door to more tuners less stuffing around with hardware and will work very well with the right tuner.
Looks like you spent some big $$$$ why skimp on something so important?
Id love to help but you need the car to do it properly imo.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Piss off! Haltech my ass, don't tell him that garbage when he's obviously come here to learn more about the delco system understanding they are such a powerful system.

Majority of "tuning shops" wouldn't know how to even tune on a haltech let alone a delco. They would be the sure way to waste $$$$ down the toilet.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

Have to agree with Vlad, Dylan would be closer to the mark than a lot of "tuners". It's one thing to have all the stuff and it's another thing to know how to tune it
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah I vote Dylan to get you started. He has the most experience with modified v8 remote tuning.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
prolectric
cars: 1981 VH SLE Holden 5.0 Vortech V2

Post by prolectric »

Thanks for the reply guys, Iv looked into haltech plug in gm sport but a lot of tuners know how to make a haltech read dyno figures but don't get the nitty gritty right like idle etc. I have my ecu at shop who can burn a bin file to the memcal for me as they just bought a dyno shop and got the Delco stuff with it. They don't want to tune the engine which is fair enough. I do have a shop to do the final tune but I would love to take it there knowing it starts, doesn't over heat, no leaks and fans work etc. also fill gear box and run it through gears.
If a bin file can be written that was as close as possible to getting the engine to start that would help me out a lot!
v8-tuning
cars: 304 commodore

Post by v8-tuning »

Lol no need to be a smartass vlad only trying to help the guy.
I never said it was superior i said it will open the doors to more tuners that's a fact.
Not a lot shops doing the delco stuff these days its old and a pain compared to late model stuff.
I got no doubt the delco is capable i tuned a pretty wild combo the other day but id rather monitor everything.
Iv'e tuned a lot of cars more than Dylan ever has but i wouldn't play guessing games with that one id rather do
it in person or not at all.
At least if it was at a shop it can be done in one hit and if any problems arise can be fixed or identified.
Also if you read his post he's after a tune not exactly to learn and its going to a tuner anyway
may as well from the get go.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I don't understand why you'd recommend haltec? They are like the shitest ecu solution. Might as well be recommending those wolf ecu with the tuning knobs.

If you are going to recommend the op with advice at least give him good choices that can match the delco like some of the higher end motec or ms3. Which are big $$$.

If it's ain't broke why fix it?
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

The op asked for a basic tune to get it up and running to run through basics and then get it to a tuner. He understands a delco shits all over other ecu's that's why he didn't ask for advice on which one to use and have a competition on who's tuned more motors than the other person. Dylan is more than capable to give him what his after and is always on this site helping people ( free of charge ) and I have no doubt he could remote tune it if both parties agree to go down that path.