vr v8 turbo base tune

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
Wade
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: vr v8 turbo base tune

Post by Wade »

Anyone know why my boost ve table looks bad like in the top photo. How can I fix it?
Attachments
IMG_9316.PNG
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

At the risk of stating the obvious, start tuning and change the values in the boost VE table?

You cannot just randomly change the values to make it look pretty, and what you have (which is not what is in the picture) is sort of OK for an initial config. You will find the VE increases as boost increases but will need to get the wideband on it and start tuning to find out what the engine needs.
Wade

Post by Wade »

Ok cool. I was worried that I'd done something wrong. If it's suppose to look like that before tuning than that puts me at ease. Thank you
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

theres a few factors that can effect how it looks too, like for example, if you have a rising rate regulator or not, like VL400 said, just start tuning with what you have and if the wideband says the fuelling is right don't worry about the look of the table! although obviously smooth out spikes as you go!

These are my VE tables, the boost one is hard to tune as I have a massive converter and don't see much below about 3000rpm before I start making boost and about 5500rpm when it flashes to stall speed.
20-100kpa.jpg
100-300kpa.jpg
and this is what it looks like on a dyno pull
log2.jpg
I also have a second pump activate on boost, so it makes it hard to get off boost to on boost fuel transition perfect, but for what I do with it, it doesn't matter :)
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Question? is there much of a down side to tuning on a 3 bar map if the engine only ever gets shy of 2 full bar of boost? reason I ask is because of the lack of OEM 2 bar maps where 3 bar has all the OEM choice you want.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Resolution issue??
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Biggvl wrote:Resolution issue??
Im aware of that but how much in practice is lost is the question?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Wade

Post by Wade »

took it for a drive to the servo and back after work. boy did I get some looks lol. keep in mind I only have half a dump pipe off the back of the turbo. I probably wasn't as smooth as I should of been with the throttle. any way heres the 2 logs
Attachments
second run.xdl
(276.43 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
first drive.xdl
(213.97 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
Wade

Post by Wade »

Also found a couple things that need fixing. Still got an exhaust leak from one of the manifolds and I've figured out why. Really needs an exhaust. It's really hard to start, turns over really slow. Under acceleration the engine fan is just hitting the top of the wastegate, so the fan will need a spacer. For some reason the blinkers ain't working. And under deceleration it's going straight to 20:1 afr's
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

And under deceleration it's going straight to 20:1 afr's
that will be decel fuel cut off (dfco)
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...